Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Installed New Pedal for Heel Toe

Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Installed New Pedal for Heel Toe

So, I don't go to the track anymore, but I still love to blip the throttle and match the downshift rev. I found that the AM's pedals were just a little wider spaced than the Porsche's pedals. I could still blip the throttle, but it took a little more careful placement of my foot on the brake and sometimes I would miss the gas.

I had Ultimate Pedals in my Carrera and was very pleased with the quality and fitment. I saw that a member here, obssesed, had used Ultimate and was pleased with the result. He was kind enough to pass me along information that he had used to make the pedal:

2006 AM Vantage gas pedal extended for heel toe shifting:
- Use your "gas db9 05" template
- Add 1" of plain undrilled surface to left side of pedal
- Brushed finish (vertically/lengthwise)
- Bevel outside of pedal 45 degrees (to about 2mm in from edge and about 2/3 of pedal depth)
- Flat grip inserts

What I changed to this was to add only 1/2 inch to the pedal, continue the grips in the extension, and start the extension lower down. If you look at the pedal design in the '08, the pedal arm extends over the top left side, so I don't think that a full pedal on the left will fit. I believe I had him start the extension 3/4 inch down.

So, out of the box it looks like this:

Name:  IMG_0029.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  81.1 KB

Here's a comparison between the stock and Ultimate Pedal

Name:  IMG_0031.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  64.6 KB

The design of the stock inserts is different and consists of a piece of rubber that fits into the pedal holes

Name:  IMG_0035.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  103.3 KB

The shape of the rubber fits into the pedal bed, so I traced it and cut out a piece of cardboard that would fit into the bed.

Name:  IMG_0037.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  112.3 KB

Here's a final picture. The fit is perfect and the pedal screws directly in with the stock screws.

Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  95.8 KB

I'm very happy with the results and it really makes heel toe very easy.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 09-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
klittlehale is on a distinguished road
I love it!-- I have been struggling with heel/toe and I track my Vantage regularly. This will make it much easier and less stressful when focusing on a all the other issues you need to pay attention to while on the track.
Can you post the details of the pedal source, cost, etc. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I don't think I can put their link on here, since they aren't sponsors, but just google "ultimate pedals". Give them a call and the price will depend on what you want done. They will custom make you any type of pedal you want.

Of course, I didn't take the pedal off before I ordered, so I didn't realize that there was a rubber pad that fit into the brake pedal bed. Probably if I had to order again, I would specify the 1/2 inch extension to be undrilled. Tell the guys at ultimate pedal that you want the holes completely drilled through, except for the screw hole sites. That way you can just flip in the stock rubber pad directly into the new pedal.

For me 1/2 inch is perfect, but I know obssesed liked 1 inch. If you're coming from a Porsche, the 1/2 inch feels very close to how the Porsche pedals feel. It's a little different, since the Porsche pedals come down at an angle, while the AM pedals come straight down.

I think you'll be very happy!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I did the same thing about 2-yrs ago - the mod works great for street and track !

Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Seattle -
Thanks for the post & pics.

I'm having trouble with heel and toe at the track with the existing pedals in my V8.

I'm going to order a pair also - any other suggestions or thoughts (before I place an order)

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:04 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Wow, Awesome job!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
I've driven the car quite a bit and am happy with the 1/2 inch extension.

The only thing I would do different is to drill the holes all the way through, so that you can just flip in the stock rubber pad.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Nice work, Steve. I need to see/hear your AMV8 some time. Still one of the most striking cars on the road.

I had difficulty with heel/toe in my S2000. RT just grabbed the accelerator pedal and gave it a yank and bent it left about 3/4"

Works perfectly now for me.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 PM
RT is the man with cars! The Aston would have blown up if I had done that!

Yeah, I gotta go to one of the car meets, but you guys always have it during my golfing day!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Teflonv8v is on a distinguished road
Nice find.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking to order one of these myself.

Seattle_Sun, do you have the measurement for how far down the pedal you started the extension? In addition, are the rubber treads they provide the same size as the originals? The reason I ask is because I am wondering if it would be possible to use the original rubber pad and have them provide plugs just for the 4 holes in the extension. If they are a different size it might feel strange though.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I just told them to start flaring out the extension at the third hole down. From an eyeball standpoint, the rubber pieces are the same size. I would take off your pedal and get an exact measurement of the holes and then give that info to Ultimate Pedals. Also, you'll be better able to see why I needed to cut out the cardboard piece. The guys at Ultimate Pedal are great and if you email them pictures and talk to them on the phone, you should be able to get what you want. They are in West Palm, so you may even be able to meet them if you go to the East coast.

Was a worthwhile addition for me.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
seattle: I've read your original post a couple of times and can't figure out the purpose of the cardboard. The pedal appears to come with individual rubber dots, not a sheet of dots on a substrate. Can you explain what the cardboard is for?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I also thought it was individual dots, but it's not. If you look at the picture above, it shows that the dots really are a sheet of dots protruding from a rubber sheet. If you take off your pedal you'll see that the pedal has a bed for the rubber insert to sit in. The cardboard is needed to allow the pedal to sit flush against the pedal arm, otherwise the pedal will sink in too much.

Sorry, I know my explanation sucks, but if you take off your pedal you'll see. It really takes two screws and two minutes to take it off.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 10-11-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I also thought it was individual dots, but it's not. If you look at the picture above, it shows that the dots really are a sheet of dots protruding from a rubber sheet. If you take off your pedal you'll see that the pedal has a bed for the rubber insert to sit in. The cardboard is needed to allow the pedal to sit flush against the pedal arm, otherwise the pedal will sink in too much.

Sorry, I know my explanation sucks, but if you take off your pedal you'll see. It really takes two screws and two minutes to take it off.
Oh I get it now. Wasn't understanding that there's a depression on the OEM pedal for the OEM sheet of dots. Thanks for the explanation.

I might order myself one of these too. One question: Do you ever accidentally press the gas pedal when only intending to press the brake pedal? Obviously, I'd like to avoid any "unintended acceleration," which is a euphemism for pressing the wrong pedal.

Last edited by Racer_X; 10-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed New Pedal for Heel Toe