Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can the trunk be opened manually?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
P-Gunna is on a distinguished road
Can the trunk be opened manually?

Can the trunk be opened without power? I have the ECU and TCU out and the trunk is locked. I am not sure if reapplying power without the ECU/TCU will damage anything....thoughts?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Did you try pushing the rear button located outside on deck lid ? I've always had power so not sure if fully mechanical or not ...

Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
Check the owner's manual or call the dealer to be on the safe side. I have never removed the ECU before.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 AM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation

This should be interesting.. from emergency point of view you should be able to find a way to open the trunk if the car looses all electricity..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
rgc123 is on a distinguished road
I think you will need the emergency key (3rd key) to open it manually.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
P-Gunna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rgc123
I think you will need the emergency key (3rd key) to open it manually.
I have 3 keys (ECUs) but I dont think I have the manual key. How can I get one?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
orangegrower is on a distinguished road
There is a manual release in the inside of the trunk (boot) lid. You can access it with a little effort on a coupe by releasing that package shelve and crawing through to the rear of the trunk and pulling the release cable. I don't know if this will work on a roadster.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Rnorth is on a distinguished road
DB9 Volante '06 trunk release cable

is shown in the factory service manual, but for some reason there is none on my car. When my battery died last year, and I was unable to get in using the outside electrical pushbutton by the license plate, I inquired of Aston in the UK as to how to proceed; and I was told in clipped English that for security reasons they couldn't tell me. I was invited to have my car towed to the nearest dealer (70 miles away).

I managed to replace the battery myself, and I've kept the car on a trickle charger religiously for the past year; but I recently lapsed for a week, after which the trunk wouldn't open (and thus I couldn't connect the charger). After accessing the battery and confirming that the battery is fully charged, I've been able to start the car; but even now the trunk won't open (and the power windows, although operable, won't seat as they normally do . . . There may be other electrical issues TBD.)

Does anyone out there know how to gain entry to the trunk? And does anyone have experience with retrofitting the manual, emergency release cable shown in my manual?

Advice with "rebooting" the car would be welcome, as well. I pushed the yellow reset button by the battery, and ran the windows and seats to their extremes to set their limits, completing the ritual as I understand it. This didn't help with the trunk release, or for that matter the windows.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rnorth
is shown in the factory service manual, but for some reason there is none on my car. When my battery died last year, and I was unable to get in using the outside electrical pushbutton by the license plate, I inquired of Aston in the UK as to how to proceed; and I was told in clipped English that for security reasons they couldn't tell me. I was invited to have my car towed to the nearest dealer (70 miles away).

I managed to replace the battery myself, and I've kept the car on a trickle charger religiously for the past year; but I recently lapsed for a week, after which the trunk wouldn't open (and thus I couldn't connect the charger). After accessing the battery and confirming that the battery is fully charged, I've been able to start the car; but even now the trunk won't open (and the power windows, although operable, won't seat as they normally do . . . There may be other electrical issues TBD.)

Does anyone out there know how to gain entry to the trunk? And does anyone have experience with retrofitting the manual, emergency release cable shown in my manual?

Advice with "rebooting" the car would be welcome, as well. I pushed the yellow reset button by the battery, and ran the windows and seats to their extremes to set their limits, completing the ritual as I understand it. This didn't help with the trunk release, or for that matter the windows.
You need to do a battery hard reset, take both batt terminals off and contact the cable ends for 1min...reconect and redo the programing of windows and seats..and also try trunk from inside switch and boot switch...

In the UK version of the DB9, license plate mount is different, button is in old school spot like Vanquish and not on side of plate like the NA spec cars..couold be why your manaul shows something different

Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P-Gunna
Can the trunk be opened without power? I have the ECU and TCU out and the trunk is locked. I am not sure if reapplying power without the ECU/TCU will damage anything....thoughts?
You'll have fault codes stored mainly for ABS systems .etc ..Trunk is controlled by the CEM module..but reapplying power will not damage anything providing no connectors are grounding out to the chassis...I've done stuff like that, PCM is disconnected and I have to close the windows to store the car outside..

Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by irish07
You'll have fault codes stored mainly for ABS systems .etc ..Trunk is controlled by the CEM module..but reapplying power will not damage anything providing no connectors are grounding out to the chassis...I've done stuff like that, PCM is disconnected and I have to close the windows to store the car outside..
You do know you're answering a question from September of 2010, right?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Racer_X
You do know you're answering a question from September of 2010, right?
oops..lol..oh well, I don't do a check scan of the whole post..dates...name..etc..good reason why ppl should start there own new topic and not restart a dead post

Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Agreed. 'spose there's no harm in sharing the info anyway.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
P-Gunna: Since you obviously don't drive the car perhaps you should consider selling it. (No disrespect intended). The car is, after all a depreciating asset. Let someone else enjoy it. (Love thoses wheels BTW).