Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

High pitched noise when turning left..

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
High pitched noise when turning left..

Does anyone have this problem? Only occurs when I turn left and it sounds like a brake squeak/metal-on-metal. So odd that it's only when i turn left and it doesn't matter if i'm braking or not. Was planning to wait until the next annual service, but should I be more concerned?

Also, as a new 07 vantage owner, want to confirm that the service intervals are 10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, right?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Yes, I get that too, except I only get it when turning right. Its a short high pitched metal-on-metal squeel that happens once per wheel rotation. It is very annoying and embarrassing to say the least. I have listened to it over and over again, it appears to be coming from my rear brakes. I cannot tell if its the main brake or the E-brake mechanism but it is brake related. It could also be a sign of possible brake rotor warpage (but this may be an extreme diagnosis, probably not that bad). Another possibility that came to my mind was the lug-nuts. I could also be wrong and it could be coming from the front axle but until I do more diagnosis I'm not exactly sure it what it is, but my instincts say its brake related.

I will see if the upgrade brakes and pads cures this problem when I install them in a few weeks and do a full write-up / review.

Hope that helps,
________
Dirty_Squirtxxx

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Chipster is on a distinguished road
It's not an ambiturner

Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
Thanks 007. I think your hunch is right. One time when turning into my garage, the metal/metal sound got significantly worse (ear-piercing high pitch) and it continued after straigtening out. I thought this had to be the brakes, so later that night I took the car out and did some hard braking. Fixed the screetching w/o turning, but the left turn cyclical high-pitch noise continues.

Anyway - your brake upgrade should definitely be interesting. Looking forward to your review.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
lol, yes we both apparently suffer from Zoolander Syndrome
________
STACEY

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
How many miles on your car? Sounds like what I had (about 18.5k miles when it started - mileage can certainly vary) which was the e-brake pads wearing down and need replacing. They actually rub slightly all the time to clean rotor. There are several other cars out there (Audi R8 as an example) that have a seperate pad for the emergency brake - AM not the only folks.
When mine were near their end I had a sound that was like what you are writing about. Check it out - not expensive to replace those pads. Any shop can do this type of work.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Can you get the ebrake pads from somewhere other than the dealership? Whats the specs on the ebrake pads, going to replace those as well since im already doing the brakes anyways.
________
Colorado medical marijuana

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 PM
They are so small and looked fairly custom (size) - my shop just got them from the dealer and installed. I think they were around $120 for the AM Vantage full set.
Have been trying other pads for the regular brake pads ...

Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
All - just so you know the E-brake pads are the small units at the most rear point of your back wheel rotor - the very small brake pads. They do not come w/ a electric sensor, thus will not show a dash light when they need replacement. They are old school and make a high pitch sound when worn down. Like all pads sometimes the inside can wear more than outside so check inside, outside and both left/right rear wheels - E brake pads are not on the front wheels.
I felt kinda stupid as I had been checking everything - just not the E-brake pads!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Btw ... a good way to test this is drive about 10 MPH with light throttle and pull up JUST e-brake (with button pressed of course using your bicep to modulate, do not use regular brake pedal) and see if you hear the same cyclical squeeking, if it is then its def E-brake. I did it on mind a few days ago and sure enough the same identical noise popped up.

One temporary solution is I drove 10 seconds with e-brake on at 10mph, 10 sec off and repeated this a few times, it seems to have cleared it up for at least the time being (in many ways this is just like bedding-in the normal brake pads at higher speeds, it should help prevent glazing and get them to bite again). Since I did this the squeek has not come back (although I'm sure it will eventually until they get replaced).

hope that helps
________
Nasty_Girl_Squirt

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 AM
I had my mechanic try to explain the AM E-brake system to me - so I hope I have this correct. The system is self adjusting and will always "slightly drag" on the rotor to keep "junk" off rotor to help the main braking system. The E-brake will also self adjust when you raise and lower the E-brake handle.
I also did the "brake drag" for a few seconds to clear the sound (at 100 MPH) - it worked for a short period of time. Then again I was just wearing more material away from the E-brake pads ! Thus the explanation from my mechanic - so you had worn pads and you were wearing them down more by pulling the handle ... uhhh yep I did.
We laughed more ... at me ...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Don't feel bad...I have tried doing that also, out of desperation since no one seems to be able to fix it and it makes that grinding sound every time I start rolling forward from a stop.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
ccrispy will become famous soon enough
Front End Recall

Hey did you ever receive the letter from Aston Martin pertaining to the recall for the front end they had to replace some bolts on the front end of certain year V8's & DB9's. You should really call your dealer if you have not already done so about the recall...

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Yes, I get that too, except I only get it when turning right. Its a short high pitched metal-on-metal squeel that happens once per wheel rotation. It is very annoying and embarrassing to say the least. I have listened to it over and over again, it appears to be coming from my rear brakes. I cannot tell if its the main brake or the E-brake mechanism but it is brake related. It could also be a sign of possible brake rotor warpage (but this may be an extreme diagnosis, probably not that bad). Another possibility that came to my mind was the lug-nuts. I could also be wrong and it could be coming from the front axle but until I do more diagnosis I'm not exactly sure it what it is, but my instincts say its brake related.

I will see if the upgrade brakes and pads cures this problem when I install them in a few weeks and do a full write-up / review.

Hope that helps,

Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Obviously it wears the e-brake pad, thats the point. The only way to get rid of glazing os to bite into the pads. In doing so you then get rid of the problem. However, since they are dragging as a cleaner brake ... they re-glaze hence the annoying catch22. For now the combination of a few hard brakes + ebrake bedding has eliminated. The only real cure is different pad compounds.

I contacted carbotech to see if thry can do a custom 1521 ebrake pad for us. They said they cant unless they have a set of stock ebrake pads. Anyone have their used e-brake pads they would like to donate to "Aston martin charity" ?? Lol.

It would be nice to have completely silent pads that wont squeel and cost alot less then $120. If anyone is willing to help out maybe we can solve this once and for all as a group.

Thx
________
ExtasyGirl

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM
btoafrica is on a distinguished road
Did you ever get this resolved ? My vantage has the same issue. Can't get rid of the squeaking from the rear of the car. Please let me know anyone has identified a permanent fix.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High pitched noise when turning left..