Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thermostat ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Thermostat ...

Thermostat issue fixed

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Mine was replaced las
Winter and didn't cost much at all( arround $100)

Believe me if it was expensive I will remember. Lol

Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
It shouldn't be a very expensive fix. This is something I have posted about before and something everyone should be keeping an eye on. It's a known issue that seems to crop up at around the 3-4 year mark. The seals are breaking down and clogging the mechanism so that the thermosat never fully shuts. Not such a big deal in hotter weather, but in the cold for sure.

Also means longer to get the engine up to temp etc. Should be getting this checked at the 3 year mark for sure.

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Hey guys,

Took the aston out yesterday in 25-30F degree weather ... Needless to say the car pulled like a freight train (especially with all that extra fuel its dumping, its nice to match that with some cold dense air).

After pushing it pretty hard for about 20+ min the temps still never reached mid-way point (about 1 dash mark below center). I then turned on the heat full blast and the heater core was completely cold (after it had already warmed up prior) .... It was at that point that it became pretty clear my thermostat appears to be bad. The heat would come and go in cycles.

I have a feeling this is also why my car is running even MORE rich than most of the vantages (which are already pretty bonkers rich as is), the ECU must be reading coolant temps are low and dumping even more fuel.

Anyone know how much the thermostat swap is parts & labor? Also, is there anything else I can do while I'm in there? Perhaps air filters or etc?

Thx,

Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
klittlehale is on a distinguished road
I have been suspecting an issue with my thermostat as well--cruising on the freeway to a track event in the early morning the temperature gauge will only go up 1/4 way-- not the typical 1/2 way. Once at the track the temp stays 1/2 way up, and then it stays at the 1/2 way mark driving home at the end of the day. I was hoping it would self correct, yet based on the comments above, this is not unusual for a 2007 Vantage. Is replacing the thermostat easy enough for a home project?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM
klittlehale is on a distinguished road
My dealer just quoted $500- $150 for parts and $350 labor.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Here is where it is.

Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
Here is where it is.
Thanks for the drawing. Like most Auto Thermostats, it looks like it's pretty easy to get to, only 3 bolts and pull the housing back against a couple of hoses to R&R the thermostat (probably should replace the gasket as well). I wonder where the $350 (about 3 hours) of labor comes from. Now if only we could find a thermostat for less than $150!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Looked up a 2007 XKR and 2010 XF, both have the same thermostat. The thermostat is $25-30. Does anyone know if this is what the aston Vantage unit looks like?

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
This is what I was able to find by searching the Internet:
The Jaguar AJ-V8 is a compact DOHCV8piston engine used in many Jaguar vehicles. It was the fourth new engine type in the history of the company. The Jaguar V8 has now been used in both supercharged and normally aspirated versions in the XK, XJ, and S type ranges for some 8 years. Ford Motor Company used this small V8 in other products as well, including the Lincoln LS the 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird as well as in several Land Rovers. Aston Martin hand-assembles a special version of the AJ-V8 for the V8 Vantage.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Looks like I will be needing a new thermostat as well on my 2007. The temperature gauge will not go above 1/4 on the highway but does go to the usual 1/2 mark in stop-n-go traffic.

The frustrating part is that I just picked it up two days ago from the dealer after its annual service and I specifically told them I thought the thermostat was going. They said they checked it out and everything was good. I doubt they even looked at it, even after charging 8hrs of labor. I am probably better off, if they had replaced it the bill would have probably been $500 more.

007, were you able to find a replacement? Should I just go to AM parts department and order one?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Here's the response when I asked the question to my A-M Mechanic:
"I’ve seen this before and what happens is the rubber seal that is made on the center of the thermostat peels away and it will not allow the t-stat to seal fully, hence the reason the gauge stays a little low. You have to build the T-stat in the housing so it comes in kit form".

Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
sgt d is on a distinguished road
well the code i had pop up on saturday just read as the thermostat issue, same scenario too as i was driving in very cold conditions and it would not come up to temperature. cleared the code and it is 70 outside now, we had a freak cold spell so i will wait to see if the issue persists but i will be changing the t stat within the week.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
UKRacer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Here's the response when I asked the question to my A-M Mechanic:
"I’ve seen this before and what happens is the rubber seal that is made on the center of the thermostat peels away and it will not allow the t-stat to seal fully, hence the reason the gauge stays a little low. You have to build the T-stat in the housing so it comes in kit form".
This is exactly right - I have just taken mine apart - not quite a 5 minute job!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Sounds like the Jag one which also has to be built as well. I may buy one just to confirm
Send me a PM

Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 AM
My 2006 Vantage displayed the classic symptoms referred to earlier of thermostat failure - I have replaced the original with a Jag thermostat (see photo) at a fraction of the price of the AM item - this is visually identical to the original and both are stamped J190 which could be the heat range.
The thermostat I used is for XJ naturally aspirated from (V) H17519 / XK naturally aspirated from (V) B23158 part number AJ811788.
I have not had a chance to road test yet but I have had it ticking over in the garage for 20 minutes, the heater works great and the gauge is rock steady at the mid-point
The job is well within the capabilities of the mechanically competent but there are a few little quirks to be aware of - pm me with your email address if you want some guidance.
Disclaimer - I am not an AM mechanic and offer this only as my experience, if you fit non-standard parts it may invalidate any warranties you may have - don't blame me

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Thermostat ...