Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2011 AM DBS Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
2011 AM DBS Manual vs Auto

In past years I have heard consistent bagging on the AM auto transmissions. Has anything changed for 2011, and if not, what are the problems with the auto transmissions?

As far as the manual trans, any niggles; and what is the avg lifespan of the clutch? Thks.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 04-22-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:36 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
wow. 115 views and no responses. I did a search on this forum and found nothing... hmmm... maybe it's nothing but personal preference? From what I read a year or two ago, the auto was not a hearty recommendation, unlike the P-car's new PDK. Hmmm...

Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
There are three different systems used by AM, the DBS uses a conventional ZF auto, but the Vantage uses either a 6- or 7-speed Graziano automated manual. Its the automated manual from the Vantage that gets most discussion

There probably isn't much to say about the DBS auto, its a ZF auto after all.

Clutch life on the manual transmissions depends massively on the way the car is driven, they can last 60,000 miles, or as little as 3,000 with someone that is completely clueless

Old 05-01-2011, 08:22 AM
ecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to all
As far as niggles on the 6speed for the DBS , there are none. The shifting is smooth but vague/not sharp, but it some how suits the character of the car. It is by far the easiest 6sp car that I have driven till date.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Good enough. Thanks, folks.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
A.M.L. is on a distinguished road
It all depends what you want from the car, the manual turns the DBS into more of a sports car, the auto makes it more GT, both are good in their own way. The auto has manual paddle control and a higher gear ratio than the DB9 for a more aggressive sporting feel, but good as it is (nice blips on the downshift) it's still an auto and for me it would be manual every time. Neither has any major issues reliability wise. My advice test drive both, plus the V12 Vantage for comparison!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks A.M.L. I'm sure the V12 Vantage is a great car in its own right, but I'm strictly interested in the DBS. Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.