Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Glass key for 08 V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I really like the ECU. Seems like you don't? I hated the turn the key press the button procedure, esp because it really was awkward to insert the key and turn it with the wheel fully retracted.
No, I do like it. It's a high quality item, and much better than the chincy Volvo key. It's just that I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to carry lots of stuff in his pockets. I find myself carrying my ECU in one front pocket and my house keys in the other. Add a wallet and an iPhone in my back pockets and I almost need to buy roomier pants. Maybe I should just invest in one of those European man purses.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
No, I do like it. It's a high quality item, and much better than the chincy Volvo key. It's just that I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to carry lots of stuff in his pockets. I find myself carrying my ECU in one front pocket and my house keys in the other. Add a wallet and an iPhone in my back pockets and I almost need to buy roomier pants. Maybe I should just invest in one of those European man purses.
omg..HEHE, if you do decide to buy a "European man purse", please sell your V12V and pick up a Cygnet ...

Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I don't use house keys, just the built-in garage door opener, so I don't have that issue to deal with. And the phone stays in the car. So just a wallet (mostly empty) for me...

Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
I don't use house keys, just the built-in garage door opener, so I don't have that issue to deal with.
Same here.

Ok, I have a question - who else has jammed the key in to far and it takes about 5min of pushing and playing with it to get it back out, is there a trick to get it out quicker because its damn embarrassing when it happens

Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kba
Same here.

Ok, I have a question - who else has jammed the key in to far and it takes about 5min of pushing and playing with it to get it back out, is there a trick to get it out quicker because its damn embarrassing when it happens
Yes, the ECU unit(aka ..the docking station) cannot detect the ECU remote if inserted to fast..try using a 2 second rule. Place key in slot, count 1 mississippi (steering lock will unlock) count 2 mississipi while pushing the remote through the cycle ..that should cure the concern..if this does not solve the concern, it's very possible you have a docking station fault, the slider binds and does not release when pressed.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kba
Never experienced that one. I just gently push the ECU in and hold it there until the engine erupts into life. It's funny, the whole car twists when she first turns over.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 AM
duo
duo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irish07
You can program any vantage remote to any year..weither it's the key and separate remote or the newer Emotion Control UNit remote type, just you will only be able to use the buttons to unlock/lock the doors, you will not be able to start the car. If you bought everything to try and convert an older style turn key unit to a newer push in console remote type, a flash would have to be written by Aston and loaded to the car, and that's a big if on will they do this for you..

The circuit board inside the remotes...old versions and new versions are the same volve circuit, Aston just change the exterior casing to the Emotion Control Unit insert in dash type of casing...that's it. If you notice on the newer style remotes there is no panic button, open the remote and you'll see the button the board is still there...aka which the panic button is on the older style remotes

I'm a tech for an Aston dealer, when ppl drop there newer style remotes in water and there at fault ...(customer pay issue), I order the old set of remotes and swap the internals to get the remotes working again for a lot cheaper price to the client...

Which ever route you decide, if you get keys that you want programmed, just make sure you get the ID numbers for the keys which is attached to the packaging(I see this all teh time when ppl buy remotes on ebay with no ID number..if you buy new you get the ID numbers)..if the vehicle ever looses the ID codes..the remotes are scrap without those ID numbers..nobody else will have them, not even Aston on file..

Hope this answered your question...
Ok, so seems like I can just buy a glass key and exchange the circuit board inside with my old remote, then I can get a good looking glass key, just for looking.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by duo
Ok, so seems like I can just buy a glass key and exchange the circuit board inside with my old remote, then I can get a good looking glass key, just for looking.
Correct, just you will only be able to use the buttons on the remote..will not be able to start with that remote

Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
zhuhai881015 is on a distinguished road
My vantage is 2009. That means if I get a glass key, I should go to the dealers to activate it?

You can program any vantage remote to any year..weither it's the key and separate remote or the newer Emotion Control UNit remote type, just you will only be able to use the buttons to unlock/lock the doors, you will not be able to start the car. If you bought everything to try and convert an older style turn key unit to a newer push in console remote type, a flash would have to be written by Aston and loaded to the car, and that's a big if on will they do this for you..

The circuit board inside the remotes...old versions and new versions are the same volve circuit, Aston just change the exterior casing to the Emotion Control Unit insert in dash type of casing...that's it. If you notice on the newer style remotes there is no panic button, open the remote and you'll see the button the board is still there...aka which the panic button is on the older style remotes

I'm a tech for an Aston dealer, when ppl drop there newer style remotes in water and there at fault ...(customer pay issue), I order the old set of remotes and swap the internals to get the remotes working again for a lot cheaper price to the client...

Which ever route you decide, if you get keys that you want programmed, just make sure you get the ID numbers for the keys which is attached to the packaging(I see this all teh time when ppl buy remotes on ebay with no ID number..if you buy new you get the ID numbers)..if the vehicle ever looses the ID codes..the remotes are scrap without those ID numbers..nobody else will have them, not even Aston on file..

Hope this answered your question...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by zhuhai881015
My vantage is 2009. That means if I get a glass key, I should go to the dealers to activate it?
Yes..there are ways to get the key to start the car yourself..but no ways other than the dealers AMDS to program the remote buttons to unlock/lock the vehicle..

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
zhuhai881015 is on a distinguished road
So if I buy one, I can activate the glass key by my plastic keys myself. But it only works for engine start. If I want to use the new one to lock the doors I have to program the remote buttons at dealer's. Is that right? I know from a UK company offer new glass key for about 300 GBP. I think it is a good price. But I am wondering what is the rough price for reprogramming?
Yes..there are ways to get the key to start the car yourself..but no ways other than the dealers AMDS to program the remote buttons to unlock/lock the vehicle..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by zhuhai881015
So if I buy one, I can activate the glass key by my plastic keys myself. But it only works for engine start. If I want to use the new one to lock the doors I have to program the remote buttons at dealer's. Is that right? I know from a UK company offer new glass key for about 300 GBP. I think it is a good price. But I am wondering what is the rough price for reprogramming?
You need 2 already programmed keys to program a new key to start the car..or just use the AMDS for both with only 1 programmed key available.

Every where will cost different, but don't be suckered to pay more than the 1 hour charge..also depends if your doing a service at the same time, cost can lower for the programming..again depends on the dealer near you

Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
The pouch came with the ECU at the very beginning, but I was told it was then discontinued at some point. I think I asked about a replacement (I didn't get one with my ECU) and I honestly can't remember if the dealer said they were NLA or they were hideously expensive (I think it was the latter).

I probably could have someone copy the design for a lot cheaper. At least it would give me a place to put it rather than letting it loose in my pocket.
They were originally only for the DBS there is a newer version with just the Aston logo 65GBP from your dealer

Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Koooms is on a distinguished road
so if your getting the glass key on your 08 just to use the remote buttons... your going to carry your OTHER key to start it?.... two keys?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Okay,.....this getting really confusing now......

Frank

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Glass key for 08 V8V