Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 V12 oil starvation, real problem or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
DB9 V12 oil starvation, real problem or not?

Greetings,
I searched the forum first, didn't find anything, so I'll raise the question.

I came across a September 2011 video on YouTube of a 2005 Aston Martin DB9 with a damaged engine, allegedly from oil starvation even though the oil light never triggered. The engine had approx. 9,000 miles on it when it failed. In this video they indicate this is not a unique problem and are even going after a class action lawsuit

Does anyone have any insight into the existence (real or perceived) of any engine problems resulting in failure of the 6 and 12 pistons even when oil levels are properly maintained? Or was this a problem that was resolved in design changes to the oiling system after the 2005 model?

I'm aware from reading the forum that once the oil light comes on it's almost too late to do anything other than stop the car and pray there's been no damage, but that's due to low oil levels.

As a new-to-me DB9 owner, I'm curious...

Thank you,
Jeff

Last edited by 62Jeff; 01-07-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: know <> no, so fixed it
Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
This problem was 'solved' by equipping the car with a shorter dipstick, thereby making the owner top up to a higher level, regardless of the idiot light.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
This problem was 'solved' by equipping the car with a shorter dipstick, thereby making the owner top up to a higher level, regardless of the idiot light.
Ok, thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I saw the same video it's scary!!! When did AM fix the problem and incorporate the shorter Dip stick? Is there a pn for the shorter dip stick some can cross reference w our dip stick to make sure we have the upgraded shorter one? Thanks! I am looking at db9 purchase in a few days and this is on my mind...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
I saw the same video it's scary!!! When did AM fix the problem and incorporate the shorter Dip stick? Is there a pn for the shorter dip stick some can cross reference w our dip stick to make sure we have the upgraded shorter one? Thanks! I am looking at db9 purchase in a few days and this is on my mind...
You have to check the VIN against AM's database to find out if the car is in the problem range, and if it has already been fixed as part of the retrofit campaign. Call a dealer with the VIN and ask them to look it up in the records.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Good idea it's a 2007 with just around 30k miles, hope it's been done ... I will certainly do what you suggest and check... Any dealer will know? Is there a TSB. Service bulletin and recall number for this?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Good idea it's a 2007 with just around 30k miles, hope it's been done ... I will certainly do what you suggest and check... Any dealer will know? Is there a TSB. Service bulletin and recall number for this?
It is FSA165

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Splendid advice and informative forum friends, thank you! I just had this checked and looks like the upgraded dipstick had been done in Dec 2008 at approx 12K Mile authorized dealer Service in San Diego.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
This is pretty scary stuff. I make a point to check my oil from time to time, but I always assumed that the car's sensors would detect a low oil condition before it was low enough to harm the engine. Anyone know if Aston changed the position of the sensor so that it detects the low oil condition sooner?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
From what I was told the updated dipstick was made a bit shorter with the tick marks for safe zone re-calibrated appropriately to match I suppose, so when you go to fill up the oil you fill it to the "new" corrected tick mark zome, in essence adding a bit more oil than you would have otherwise prior to the revised dip stick - FSA165

Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
From what I was told the updated dipstick was made a bit shorter with the tick marks for safe zone re-calibrated appropriately to match I suppose, so when you go to fill up the oil you fill it to the "new" corrected tick mark zome, in essence adding a bit more oil than you would have otherwise prior to the revised dip stick - FSA165
Okay, but that seems like a bass-ackwards way of addressing the issue. The fix should have been adjusting the sensor so the light comes on earlier, not having the owner put in extra oil in hopes that the low oil condition does not occur. The sensor is useless if the light only comes on after damage has occurred. If this is the case, I'll put this down the thing I'd like Aston to change.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I agree the purpose of the sensor is to warn of an issue early enough to catch it and fix it...the sensors position should be changed/re-calibrated. I don't know if this is done as part of a TSB in which the car is given the new revised dipstick.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
From what I remember the newer dipstick is for all DB9 models upto A10286. The "FULL" range has been set higher, so engine now has 1 liter extra oil in sump when "FULL"..

I have seen oil starvation on V12's but this was all due to lack of maintence, oil went to low(6L) and engine said no more...Never saw oil starvation with the correct oil level maintained..

On the newer models there is now a new oil level sensing system. Some vehicle(2009+ inactive ...2011+ onwards come with system active) need SA-03-0175 performed to activate the new oil sensing(software was not developped at time of purchase and a Service Action was made to get these vehicle upto date..provide VIN to dealer and they can inform you if this has been performed or not).

The new system records the engine oil level each time the fuel tank is filled with 25 litres or more of fuel. The sensor that is installed in the sump of the engine will tell the CEM when the engine oil level is at the “MIN” mark on the dipstick. When this happens, the system will:
Cause the DIM to show an “OIL LEVEL LOW, ADD 1L” message

The driver will hear one chime

The amber warning triangle will show in the DIM.

If oil is not added to the engine and the oil level continues to decrease, the system will continue to showthe same message.

The ECM will store a P250f code.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
From what I remember the newer dipstick is for all DB9 models upto A10286. The "FULL" range has been set higher, so engine now has 1 liter extra oil in sump when "FULL"..

I have seen oil starvation on V12's but this was all due to lack of maintence, oil went to low(6L) and engine said no more...Never saw oil starvation with the correct oil level maintained..

On the newer models there is now a new oil level sensing system. Some vehicle(2009+ inactive ...2011+ onwards come with system active) need SA-03-0175 performed to activate the new oil sensing(software was not developped at time of purchase and a Service Action was made to get these vehicle upto date..provide VIN to dealer and they can inform you if this has been performed or not).

The new system records the engine oil level each time the fuel tank is filled with 25 litres or more of fuel. The sensor that is installed in the sump of the engine will tell the CEM when the engine oil level is at the “MIN” mark on the dipstick. When this happens, the system will:

•
Cause the DIM to show an “OIL LEVEL LOW, ADD 1L” message
•

The driver will hear one chime
•

The amber warning triangle will show in the DIM.
•

If oil is not added to the engine and the oil level continues to decrease, the system will continue to showthe same message.
• The ECM will store a P250f code.

then what is FSA165??? not I'm confused

Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
then what is FSA165??? not I'm confused

[/left]
Replace the dipstick like we said.

He's talking about later cars for the software activation mod (2009+)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 V12 oil starvation, real problem or not?