Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage COnsole and Shifter Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 PM
postscar95 is on a distinguished road
V8 Vantage COnsole and Shifter Retrofit

Just finished fitting a 2008 center console and a 2009 Shift **** to my 2007 V8 Vantage.
Came out great! I love it!

Attached Images    
Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Okay... I'd like to do the center console thing... so how much did that cost & did you just order the items from the local dealer?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I got the console used on Ebay for $800 and the Shifter on Ebay UK for $200.

The Dealer wanted $1950 for the console new and $390 for the shifter new.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM
kaj
kaj is on a distinguished road
Looks good. Was it a straightforward swap (same mounting points, etc.)?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Easy fit. I had to make a few mounting holes to secure it down and that's about it.
I also ran some new wires to hookup the power outlet in the console and ran my Ipod hookup into the console.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
It's funny, the new console is one of the things I didn't like in going from a 2007 to a 2011. For me, it seems to get in the way of shifting.

That's a DBS/V12V shift ****, right?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Yup Racer_X it is a DBS V12V shifter. Has a great feel to it. Much nicer than the stock unit.
My biggest beef with the Vantage is there is no storage for a cell phone, sunglasses, or bottle of water. The new console gives you all of that.
But I do agree, I have to readjust my shifting habits with the new console.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:52 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Are you going to re-trim the center console so that the leather matches the rest of the car? I thought about getting a center console, but I too have heard complaints from owners that it gets in the way while shifting and hurts your elbow (which is why they had to design the kludge of an elbow rest).

Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by postscar95
Yup Racer_X it is a DBS V12V shifter. Has a great feel to it. Much nicer than the stock unit.
I just recently went the other way...DBS **** ---> regular ****.

I like the shorter height and throw of the regular **** vs the DBS style. It seems to be in a better position (at least for me).

Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Karlfranz, the carpet and the shift boot are both black. I am going to reupholster the inside panels on the door panels in a black quilted leather so the console all looks like it blends.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
I really like the beefier V12 ****!

Is the install straight forward?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
The shift **** V8Vin, is a pretty easy, but you do have to remove the panel around the shifter.
Once you slide the center console piece out its just 2 screws and the panel lift out.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I thought about getting a center console, but I too have heard complaints from owners that it gets in the way while shifting and hurts your elbow.
It doesn't hurt your elbow but, at least in my case, it occupies space that my elbow wants to be in. As a result, I sometimes miss 3rd gear under hard acceleration. I need to make a positive effort to move the lever to the right in order to reach 3rd instead of 1st. The transmission doesn't go into 1st in those situations (thankfully), but it can interrupt your shifting.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Eric@RSC!
My next project is to install the 200 cell RSC cats and RSC air filters.
It seems pretty easy to do, just time consuming.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
I am considering adding the console to my 2007 V8 Vantage. I have the Aston Martin iPod upgrade installed. Is the iPod cable from the kit long enough to reach the new console? Did you also hook up the USB port?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage COnsole and Shifter Retrofit