Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage engine stalling !!!???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 PM
ewu64 is on a distinguished road
Vantage engine stalling !!!???

I have read several threads here pertaining the Vantage engine stalling at very low rpm's. I had searched for the threads because yesterday and today it has happened to me three times already, and once coming out from a stop, taking a left turn and the engine just shut off in the middle of the turn. It was really disconcerting as the steering went hard to turn in an instant, and the power was gone. I immediately press the clutch and fire the engine again. When I was reading the threads, I couldn't find anybody finding a solution to it, or if Aston has found the cause of it.

Does anybody knows what is the solution to this problem???

Thank you all..!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
no idea as to why it happens. my '07 has done it twice since i got it in November.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
have never had that in 3 years in my manual......do you have the sportshift?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
have never had that in 3 years in my manual......do you have the sportshift?
Nope. 6speed.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 AM
orlanderlv is on a distinguished road
Happens to me too. I've attributed it to just the Vantage being extremely finicky and precise but I'm pretty close to taking mine in for diagnosis.

Mine is a manual also? Anyone else have ideas?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM
This is really a coincidense! But, how many of you use Shell gasoline?

This is probably me just been paranoid but, when I had my Porsche, I used to avoid using Shell gas as it made the car almost stall if you were just a bit imprecise when releasing the clutch. I remember stalling the engine a few times after driving with Shell gas in the tank. And to tell you the truth, it never failed... Every time I used Shell the car become more nervous, often the idle bounced up and down a few hundreds of revs. when waiting for a red light to change, and when these happened, it never failed me to remember that I had filled up with Shell last time...

And this time, when the Vantage stall on me three times in a row in a matter of one hour, at night (73 degrees), I remember that I had filled up the tank with Shell gas earlier in the afternoon. So, my question is:

Does anybody remembers if you filled up your tank with Shell gas and then the stalling happened???

From what I'm reading, the stalling happens very sporadically, and I'm wondering if it is due to the brand of gas we put in our tanks. And if you are like me, you usually put gas in the same gas station closest to where you live, in my case a Chevron but, once in a while use what is available when needed.

Any opinions???

Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
I've had it happen to me 3 times within the last couple months (never before). One time was definitely Shell gasoline, but the very first time it was BP. There is no sure fix at this point. My tech is in contact with AM engineering to determine the problem. I'll update you all if anything happens.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
interesting, I use Shell most often. Let us know what they say Brumma and good luck

Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Was your a/c on at the time??

Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
Was your a/c on at the time??
I live in Florida--my A/C is always on!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Does it happen when always full/mid/near empty..
does it happen moslty on days that you just filled up..
when at the pump, do you stock on the first "click" or keep going to get as much as you can in the tank at the best price ..
are there any commons..aka turning a corner, coming to a stop, taking away from a stop..more info you can give me the better

Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Does it happen when always full/mid/near empty..
does it happen moslty on days that you just filled up..
when at the pump, do you stock on the first "click" or keep going to get as much as you can in the tank at the best price ..
are there any commons..aka turning a corner, coming to a stop, taking away from a stop..more info you can give me the better
In my case, the only consistent factor seems to be that it only happens when coming to a stop.

@Irish07 - coincidentally, your pal Adam is the tech I mentioned. So far we've done a software flash, but that didn't remedy the problem.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
I've had this issue too. Dealer said it might have something to do with a faulty gas cap. Will throw a cel, but may cause stall too. Do/did any of you guys have faulty gas caps?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
In our Lotus group, owners have learned to stay away from Shell gas because it turns on the Check Engine Light. I have always used Citgo/7-Eleven premium fuel on both the Lotus and the Aston without any problems.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Wow, I've never heard of Shell gas being a problem. I use Shell and Exxon. Guess I'll start avoiding Shell. Anyone know why Shell is an issue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage engine stalling !!!???