Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mechanic left bonnet unlocked - ripped off at high speed!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:43 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Mechanic left bonnet unlocked - ripped off at high speed!

Had some work done on the car and the mechanic did not shut the bonnet properly.

Went for a high speed run and the bonnet flipped open ripped off the hinges smahed the wondscreen and dented the roof before being on the tarmac behind the car. Luckily no one was injured.

The car is with an official Aston Martin repair centre (one of only several in the UK).

They are repainting the roof and the bonnet and because they are meticulous they are respraying most panels to get perfect colour match.

This opens up an opportunity.

I have a white wrap on the car and instead of repainting it mercury grey and wrapping it why not repray the car a totally new colour at an official Aston Martin repair centre with certificate etc.

I really like the nacre white, its a kind of pearl white. Im thinking something maybe metallic pearl white or champagne colour metallic.

I have looked at various colours but cant find the right type. Many websites dont render the colours properly on the screen to properly see how it looks especially with metallic paint.

Anyone recommend a good colour palette from other manufacturers?

Pics of my car to follow.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 AM
divetheworld is on a distinguished road
Colour changes must include spraying some fairly inaccessible areas like inner door skins, shuts and engine bay. If done right, would double the cost.
I wouldn't expect the dealer to pay for that.
Your V5 would show a colour change which would need documentation to show it wasn't due to accident damage.

So, where did the bonnet get left open? Rough location would do.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm yes the V5 would show a colour change but if I have the certificate from the official paint shop Aston Martin approved that would help.

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	879.1 KB
ID:	293946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	930.3 KB
ID:	293947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0136.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	938.9 KB
ID:	293948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0141.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1,011.2 KB
ID:	293949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0137.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	934.6 KB
ID:	293952  

Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Try to see AM morning frost white in person. Pearly and sparkly too. Very nice.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
This is just food for thought... but as a buyer I would never buy a car that has been repainted, even if it was done by an authorized dealer. You cannot duplicate the original factory quality and detail when it comes to paint. If I where you I would have it repaired to its original color than have the wrap reapplied.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vergis
Had some work done on the car and the mechanic did not shut the bonnet properly.

Went for a high speed run and the bonnet flipped open ripped off the hinges smahed the wondscreen and dented the roof before being on the tarmac behind the car. Luckily no one was injured.

The car is with an official Aston Martin repair centre (one of only several in the UK).

They are repainting the roof and the bonnet and because they are meticulous they are respraying most panels to get perfect colour match.

This opens up an opportunity.

I have a white wrap on the car and instead of repainting it mercury grey and wrapping it why not repray the car a totally new colour at an official Aston Martin repair centre with certificate etc.

I really like the nacre white, its a kind of pearl white. Im thinking something maybe metallic pearl white or champagne colour metallic.

I have looked at various colours but cant find the right type. Many websites dont render the colours properly on the screen to properly see how it looks especially with metallic paint.

Anyone recommend a good colour palette from other manufacturers?

Pics of my car to follow.
Yikes. Talk about a brown trousers moment. My brother had that happen in his MGB once. Sorry to hear that.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 PM
phun-ky is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that. What a terrible experience!

It looks like they are replacing the roof panel. Would you have a chance to check how is the roof bonded/mounted in place? I am looking into a CF replacement but, apart from structural concerns, I don't know how difficult it is to remove it.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 AM
Yes the roof panel has been replaced.

It is bonded on actually although removing it appeared quite messy when I saw the old one. Its quite lightweight so not sure how much improvement a carbon fibre part would help with lowering centre of gravity.

I think I will go for a wrap after all. I quite like Nacre white which looks like a nice Bently colour I have seen. A bit of an off white - Champagne colour. If I could find it with some metal flake then that would be ideal.

I have looked at Morning Frost. But its too similiar to my old wrap and fancy a change.