Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage Owners - Repairs Out of Factory Warranty

Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
V8 Vantage Owners - Repairs Out of Factory Warranty

Hey guys,

I know the topic of to purchase or not to purchae an extended warranty has been discussed quite extensively in the past, so no need to re-live that thread.

My question to the V8 Vantage owners (namely MY06 and MY07) is what sort of repairs have you had to get done outside of the initial 3-year factory warranty, whether you paid out of pocket or had it taken care of through an extended warranty?

I am just trying to assess what may be in store for V8 Vantage owners as our cars hit the 5 - 6 year mark. From speaking with various service techs, it is not until this period that one might start to see some expensive repair bills. But of course, our cars haven't been around for that long, so there is limited empirical data to go by.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I have an 06' and over the past 3 years outside of warranty, the only issue was a broken power steering pump that was my own fault.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I have an 06' and over the past 3 years outside of warranty, the only issue was a broken power steering pump that was my own fault.
ah yes, i remember that. glad to see she's back up and running.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by macksamus
ah yes, i remember that. glad to see she's back up and running.
Thanks, running like a champ.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
I bought the additional 2 year warranty for my 2007 V8 Vantage (expired in Februray 2012). When the inspection for the warranty extension was being done during my 3rd year service the timing chain cover leak was found and repaired as part of the initial 3 year warranty. Over the two year warranty extension I had the passenger side door lock replaced, thermostat failure, failure of the reverse sensor at high speeds, and fan belt squeak (third time). Since the warranty has expired I've not had any other problems. I drive the Aston about 2.5k miles per year, currently at 14k miles.

Henry

Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by HenryM
I bought the additional 2 year warranty for my 2007 V8 Vantage (expired in Februray 2012). When the inspection for the warranty extension was being done during my 3rd year service the timing chain cover leak was found and repaired as part of the initial 3 year warranty. Over the two year warranty extension I had the passenger side door lock replaced, thermostat failure, failure of the reverse sensor at high speeds, and fan belt squeak (third time). Since the warranty has expired I've not had any other problems. I drive the Aston about 2.5k miles per year, currently at 14k miles.

Henry
Thanks for the reply Henry. I am surprised that the timing cover leak did not manifest itself until close to the end of your 3rd year. Also, would you mind elaborating on the reverse sensor issue you mention?

Irish and AMFixer, is it possible that our cars could develop the timing cover leak after say 3-4 years? Or, does it happen much earlier and probably just goes undetected if the leak isn't too bad?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
"Also, would you mind elaborating on the reverse sensor issue you mention?" I believe my problem was related to the "reverse sensor" I would be a highway speed using the Cruise Control, and suddenly and on several occasions, the Cruise Control would disengage. This problem was attributed to the reverse sensor, it was changed or adjusted and the problem went away.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
The reverse sensor problem at speed manifested itself by the reverse light coming on in the dashboard display, the backup lights coming on, and the satnav getting very confused about where I was on the road. This started on about mile 50 of a 150 mile drive at 70+ mph and persisted until near the end of the drive as I was slowed by traffic to about 60 mph. It's caused by heat in the transmission at those speeds affecting the reverse sensor. This is a known problem and a fix was available from Aston. I think the fix includes a new sensor and moves it a little further away from the transmission. The part was: AM 6G33-8F875-AA. The repair code was: 07.03.CC. Although it was repaired under the extended warranty I think the part was around $100 and no more than 1 hour of labor so not very expensive.

HENRY

Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Thanks for the reply Henry. I am surprised that the timing cover leak did not manifest itself until close to the end of your 3rd year. Also, would you mind elaborating on the reverse sensor issue you mention?

Irish and AMFixer, is it possible that our cars could develop the timing cover leak after say 3-4 years? Or, does it happen much earlier and probably just goes undetected if the leak isn't too bad?
4.3's were common, the 4.9's are not common. The timing cover gasket leaks due to the cam cover seal not aligning correctly and allowing the oil to escape. The seals for the cam cover have been revised for the 4.7L release..so the 4.3L has a newer cam cover seal to fix this issue, but will still require a new timing cover seal to seat correctly for the old seal had been deformed. There is a SB that can be done on any 4.3/4.7 to fix a present leak without replacing the timing cover seal..

"Could this happen 3-4yr term??".. I've had them 1 year after the 4.3 was made available..need I say more

Most of these "leaks" are more like "sweats", untill there are drops of oil forming on the bottom sump..there is no leak, just a sweat..and some sweats are normal to a lot of brands..course owners of any car wouldn't give a sh*t weither its a leak or a sweat, they don't want any fluids on the exterior of the motor period(don't blame them, I'm one of them)..but it is what it is, "warranty protocal"

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 AM
VantageV8 is on a distinguished road

I have an '07 and had the timing cover gasket start leaking this past summer 2012. I had 5k miles on it at the time

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Mine is and 07, service that has been done outside of warranty, in the last 2 years...

replace brake pads and rotors
replace battery
replace clutch - 40,000 miles
replace transaxle fluid
flush and replace engine coolant

Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I have a 2009 that has been out of warrantee, I have completed the 4th year service, and replaced the brake pads. The pads had lots of life but I wanted to install Portafield RS-4 brakes to reduce brake dust and eliminate the occasional brake squeal overall very reliable

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM
stanger011 is on a distinguished road
2008 Vantage engine leak (timing cover seal?)

Hi, im having issues with timing cover leak. I am having a local porsche mechanic fix the problem. Can you give me any details on the fix. Labor hours etc. Also, does the engine need removed to fix this or can it be done with engine in tacked? Any details would be much appreciated.

Mike