Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Best year for a DB9

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM
jenerik is on a distinguished road
Best year for a DB9

Decided to stop dreaming and make owning a DB9 a reality. I would love some input from DB9 owners as to which years you recommend I focus on in terms of price vs performance. I am on a budget, so for example is a 2008 facelift version worth the cost difference from earlier models. Also I have always loved driving manual transmissions. But is there a good case for going with the Touchtronic?

Usage will be more to the GT side than the track.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Step 1: Get the book! https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...de-update.html
It will really spell out all the changes from year to year.

I really like my TT2. I use the paddles 99% of the time, but it's nice to be able to hit the "D" button in traffic. You need to try it for yourself.

A properly maintained car -- even an early model year -- should have had all the "issues" sorted out through service updates. So then you're left with the features and options you absolutely must have. I willingly gave up lots of bells & whistles when I moved from my previous car to the DB9, and I've never regretted it.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the input, just ordered the book.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, there is nothing like rowing the gears. I'm sure the TT2 is better than the first version but for me, it had to be a manual trans. Clutch can be a little tricky to get used to; there is a thread on the topic. Manual is much more rare than a TT and it won't be long and you will not even have the option of a manual trans......

Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jenerik
Decided to stop dreaming and make owning a DB9 a reality. I would love some input from DB9 owners as to which years you recommend I focus on in terms of price vs performance. I am on a budget, so for example is a 2008 facelift version worth the cost difference from earlier models. Also I have always loved driving manual transmissions. But is there a good case for going with the Touchtronic?

Usage will be more to the GT side than the track.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
I'd make sure the car has the revised center console, since that will give you everything else that you should have (revised seats, audio, 470 HP instead of 450). This means it should be a 2008 or up.

TT2 or manual is only a choice you can make. But on the other hand, if you want a convertible the odds of finding a manual are zilch, and with a coupe almost zilch, so your decision may be made for you regarding transmission.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM
It'll be the coupe not the convertible. Am in agreement on the manual. I currently have an Audi A3 with TT (which I hate) and an Audi TT with Manual (which I love). I never get in the A3 unless I have to drive the family somewhere.

Am currently looking at 2008 and up. But I imagine going from my 1.8 TT Quatro to even an 2005 DB9 will be as big of a jump as when I went from my Ford E150 panel van to my TT.

The only absolute in terms of features is that it has to be Black.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
It'll be the coupe not the convertible. Am in agreement on the manual. I currently have an Audi A3 with TT (which I hate) and an Audi TT with Manual (which I love). I never get in the A3 unless I have to drive the family somewhere.

Am currently looking at 2008 and up. But I imagine going from my 1.8 TT Quatro to even an 2005 DB9 will be as big of a jump as when I went from my Ford E150 panel van to my TT.

The only absolute in terms of features is that it has to be Black.
There is exactly 1 on autotrader.com that meets your criteria of: coupe, 08 up, black, 6-speed.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27023448&Log=0

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by LRDog
There is exactly 1 on autotrader.com that meets your criteria of: coupe, 08 up, black, 6-speed.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27023448&Log=0

Good luck.
Thanks, yeah I've been looking at that one. Need to understand more about the pricing before I pull the trigger though.

I also like that it's on the east coast, as I live on the west coast. Now I could ship it.... but driving it home would be so much more fun.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM
....and another on cars.com:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Doesn't meet the "black" requirement but really nice looking car nonetheless:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

BTW, all three appear to have the sport pack which in my book would also be a "must have".

Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by LRDog

BTW, all three appear to have the sport pack which in my book would also be a "must have".
I thought the sport pack was standard on 2008+

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Nope, option. Indications on these cars are the double 5-spoke forged wheels. They are part of the sport pack but as you know, wheels get changed.... My car has the sport pack but, the dealer swapped the wheels to a car w/o the sport pack long b/f I bought it. Best to see the build info on any car to know for sure.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I currently have an Audi A3 with TT (which I hate) and an Audi TT with Manual (which I love).
AFAIK the A3 "auto" is actually an automated manual with a clutch & cogs but no clutch pedal. The DB9 TT2 is ZF-sourced torque converter automatic, similar to what's used in 7-series BMWs. TT2 doesn't have the low-speed crawling or reversing issues that some automated manuals do.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Nice choice in the DB9, excellent cars indeed. A 6 speed manual is very rare but definately fun to row your own if you get 'em! That sais the sport pack makes an absolute HUGE difference on the DB9. The book you ordered will tell you what all changes are made, but just some differences are shorter sport springs and matching valved dampers and beefier anti-roll bars, sport undercladding, steering rack and driveline upgrades, special lightweight forged wheels and titanium wheel nuts...etc... added up all these things make a heck of a difference.

When I was looking for an Aston DB Series my first thought was to go for a DBS, which I loved the driving experience, however when I cam accross my DB9 with the manaul trans, sport pack, silver meshes and so forth I just couldn't justify the difference in cost for a car that feels so close to the same and looks incredible with more flowing free form lines. So I went with my DB9. If I ever want to get the DBS it's always there I figured, but finding a unique a perfectly optioned DB9 is would not be that easy a second time around.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
merosenb is on a distinguished road
Hi Jenerik - I just went through the exact same process. I was driving a Porsche Boxster S and had been thinking long enough about a DB9 and decided to just do it. I drove every year you can imagine, and probably spent 5 months seriously looking...first in my local area and then as I learned more and got comfortable with the process, across the country. I settled on an out of state '09 for the following reasons:

1. The updated interior - the DBS center console is more attractive and functional to me. The older console was mimimalist and artsy, but the bigger controls are more intuitive and help keep my eyes on the road. iPod integration and a USB port are also included, which are features I really wanted.

2. Improved engine performance - the extra horsepower (470 up from 450) was appealing as well as the knowledge that with additional investment in tuning and headers I can achieve DBS performance as the basic engine is the same in both cars

3. This is last, but not necessarily least in importance - everything I have read about depreciation of DB9's indicates that 3-4 years old is the optimum time to buy as the biggest hit has already been taken in value by the previous owner. There are many low milage '09 cars out there for roughly half of the original price that essentially equate to a new DB9 for around $100K. I bought mine with only 7,100 miles.

Just my two cents - good luck and be patient. Your car is out there!

Best,
Mike

Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Thank you. All of your advise has been invaluable. Trying to be patient till the dream becomes a reality.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best year for a DB9