Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 or Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 AM
kuangdao is on a distinguished road
DB9 or Vantage

hi guys.
im think to buy 2007 DB9 or 2007 Vantage..
and i love the both car but i only can buy one.. anyone please give me some idea..
i just need a daily car and someone tell me Aston is not a good car for daily

help me !!!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 AM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
I think there are a lot of factors...here are just a few

1) I wouldn't daily a sportshift Vantage if you are routinely stuck in any amount of traffic. The DB9's box should be much better suited for stop and go. (Obviously not a concern if you're getting a manual)

2) [To the point of Aston in general] If this is your only car, I would consider where you live as well. There seems to be a few on this board that put on snow tires, but I can't imagine either car being ok to drive in anything over 3 inches of snow (not just traction, but ground clearance issues).

3) The biggest factor should be which one you like better. You're going to be driving the thing everyday, so pick the one you'd like to look at every morning =)

Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
A common question now used cars are available at similar prices, but they tend to fulfil different briefs - a quick over view IMO -

The DB9 is a GT with a sporting twist. The silky, torque laden, V12 and excellent auto-box combine to ensure the 9 meets its GT brief perfectly and it gathers speed more effortlessly than the V8. The +2 seats are also useful if you have little ones (very little!). It has a slightly firmer ride than your average GT, but the payback is it's more involving on a wide open twisting road (particularly with the SportPack). You also have a higher specification as standard, but you will pay a premium over the V8 and running costs will be higher.

The V8 is more compact and involving to drive, it is a sports car with a GT twist. So you would be more likely to want to take it out for a Sunday blast down your favourite back road. They both offer similar performance, but you need to rev the V8 hard to get best forward thrust, and this adds to the sporting character of the car, as does the chunky manual gearbox. It is also surprisingly practical thanks to the large rear hatch/boot (which is bigger than the 9's). Price for price you will also be able to afford a newer V8, with all the benefits that brings, and you will have lower running costs.

What you need to do is test drive both and see which appeals to YOU. Both are daily usuable, but Aston's are mileage sensitive, so if you put big miles on either car the values will drop heavily and the service/wear tear costs will also be higher. Although reliable they aren't cheap to repair if something does go wrong! You also tend to get attached to these stunningly good looking cars and special interiors, so may find you worry where you park the car, which reduces an Aston's appeal as an everyday car.

Hope this helps, ultimately only you can decide, once you have look for a FSH car that has been well looked after and check out the various model years for Aston's regular updates and improvements.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Def. test drive both!

DB9 = cruiser
Vantage = compact, sportier driving

Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Grant covered it nicely. You really need to drive both and ask yourself what you're looking for in the car, how you intend to use it, and what is your driving style.

You may like to use the search funtion here on the forum, these comparisons have been covered extensively.

On the bright side you cannot go wrong with either. Also listen to these guys on our forum they have a lot of good info to guide you, we have excellent members here, and we even have AM certified Techs and other members who have keen insight having owned many cars thru the years.

Welcome to the 6, and thanks for joing our forum

Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 AM
thx guys
this is help me alot..
i dont want to sport.. i already have lp640 and 599 so i just want a car can drive for daily
and today someone tell me AM have alot problem with gear box if i buy a used one and few friend tell me get a 6speed dont buy auto (sportshift)also the clotch need change every 8000 millage?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 AM
DB9 and Vantage is on my list first 1 or 2 and the bottle line is Maserati GranTurismo S but i dont really like the GT inside..

Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 AM
i live in San Diego so i think the winter is not a problem and i have garage can park the car

Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Kuandango have you made up your mind..have we been able to help you? thanks for using the forum and feel free to post some pics of you cars and ask more questions if you'd like

Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i daily my V8V and it's fine for the most part. i'm a smaller guy and i like smaller cars, so i wasn't considering a DB9 when looking for a car.

the manual gearbox is great so long as you let it warm up before trying to row the gears, and when you do shift, don't force it to quickly. just work the shifter through the gates like the bolt of a nice rifle and you'll get great results with it. the clutch should be fine for a good 25-35k miles. if it only lasts 8k, you're doing it wrong.

winter won't be a problem for either car in San Diego. you should be able to drive a Vantage or DB9 all year.

and what Grant said:

Originally Posted by Grant3
A common question now used cars are available at similar prices, but they tend to fulfil different briefs - a quick over view IMO -

The DB9 is a GT with a sporting twist. The silky, torque laden, V12 and excellent auto-box combine to ensure the 9 meets its GT brief perfectly and it gathers speed more effortlessly than the V8. The +2 seats are also useful if you have little ones (very little!). It has a slightly firmer ride than your average GT, but the payback is it's more involving on a wide open twisting road (particularly with the SportPack). You also have a higher specification as standard, but you will pay a premium over the V8 and running costs will be higher.

The V8 is more compact and involving to drive, it is a sports car with a GT twist. So you would be more likely to want to take it out for a Sunday blast down your favourite back road. They both offer similar performance, but you need to rev the V8 hard to get best forward thrust, and this adds to the sporting character of the car, as does the chunky manual gearbox. It is also surprisingly practical thanks to the large rear hatch/boot (which is bigger than the 9's). Price for price you will also be able to afford a newer V8, with all the benefits that brings, and you will have lower running costs.

What you need to do is test drive both and see which appeals to YOU. Both are daily usuable, but Aston's are mileage sensitive, so if you put big miles on either car the values will drop heavily and the service/wear tear costs will also be higher. Although reliable they aren't cheap to repair if something does go wrong! You also tend to get attached to these stunningly good looking cars and special interiors, so may find you worry where you park the car, which reduces an Aston's appeal as an everyday car.

Hope this helps, ultimately only you can decide, once you have look for a FSH car that has been well looked after and check out the various model years for Aston's regular updates and improvements.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
I'll give you my situation. I daily drive my 07 Vantage Roadster. It is a sport-shift and it has 40,000 miles. I'm in my 50s and getting in and out of the car is starting to become an issue (on a daily basis). I happen to like the sportshift. I have had the car for 3 years and I'm past the shifter stage so having an auto that I can quickly go to paddle shifting, if I like, is a nice feature for me. It's a little querky but I've got the handle of it. It's still on the original clutch! I really did not see any benefit in having the backseat. I'd really like to have a V12V but will probably keep this and get a sedan for daily driving a some point.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Thank you guys.. help me alot
and i just get my DB9 volante today is black with black
i love it the car when i push the sport bottom, very smooth and comfortably and i love the 2+2 sit give me more space for little kids
^^ i will post some picture tomorrow
thank you guys

Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Congrats kodongo please post some pics and share with us!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
will do thx.
you guys is help me alot... with out you guys is heard to make decision about DB9 or Vantage .
Originally Posted by sunir
Congrats kodongo please post some pics and share with us!