Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS sapphire key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM
DBSinMD is on a distinguished road
DBS sapphire key

My sapphire key for a 2009 DBS was dead on arrival. I have two functioning plastic key ECUs. Anyone have instructions on changing batteries for the sapphire ecu? Does the remote have to be reprogrammed by the dealer or can I do this myself without a problem? I know the sapphire ecu worked earlier because when I test drove the car, it worked fine.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM
MikeD will become famous soon enough
Changing the battery is straightforward. The innards (the remote) are the same as with the plastic key.

Remove the two small screws on the underside at the end opposite the sapphire. (Actually, you need to bring the screws out only halfway.)

Slide the steel housing off and then prepare to slide the remote out.

TIP: The four buttons float between the remote and the plastic housing. They are not attached to the part you will slide out. It's better to hold the remote with the buttons facing down while you're working on it and to leave those buttons in place.

Be careful when sliding the remote out because you could tear the rubber cover of the remote if it gets hung up the any of the four buttons.

The rest will be apparent. I think the battery is a standard 2032.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeD
I think the battery is a standard 2032.
Yes it is.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Good info thanks Mike

Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Just as a side note; be careful not to drop the key when changing the battery!

Very delicate and very expensive to replace they are!

Oh yeah, hope it works out and something silly didn't happen like they gave you the wrong key!

Last edited by FatFrank; 11-25-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
do the stealers charge near $2k for these?
I know on Astonmartinbits, they have them for sale for I think $300-$400

Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by plastique999
Yep, I remember asking my dealer and I think it was $1700 plus tax and programming etc. If I needed one I would have no worries purchasing one from Astonmartinbits - as long as it was new in the packet with the necessary programming codes.

FF

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by plastique999
I did drop my key, which did chip. I also tore the rubber when I replaced the battery. Disgusted with myself, I bought a key from Aston Martin bits. With postage, it was a little over $500. The dealer got me for $150 to program (which I'm sure took all of 2 minutes). All in it cost about $650--which was still $1300 less than the dealer quoted me for a replacement.

Anyway, the key works perfectly and I've put it aside so that the next owner (not that I'm selling) will have a perfect key to feel good about. Myself, I don't mind carrying the chipped key with the torn rubber. It's not like anyone ever sees it. And it's not that hard to keep it from falling into my martini.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
DBSinMD is on a distinguished road
Is there any way to program the key if I have two other working keys? So I replaced the battery safely - and the remote didn't work. I did the whole sequence of starting the car with my two other keys and then inserting the Sapphire ECU - and that reprogrammed it to start the vehicle now - but I still can't lock/unlock the doors, etc.... Any help? Or do I have to pay the dealer for this?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
A properly programed remote will start the car even if the remote's battery is dead.

If your remote doesn't work, it's one of three problems. 1: the battery is dead or not connected properly. 2: the remote is broken. 3: the remote is not programmed properly for your car. Since you found the remote to be working before you bought the car, I would try another battery. The programming is static, so it is not affected by a dead battery.

You can also swap the innards between your working plastic and non-working sapphire remotes.

Your dealer cannot reprogram a remote without the related remote specific codes. In other words, if you do not have the programing codes for your sapphire remote, your dealer will not be able to do anything with it. If I were to give you my sapphire key without the programing codes, it would be useful as a paperweight, projectile, or possibly something else. But you will never get it to start you car.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
You may like to contact Aston Martin of Washington located in mclean VA, they are our local dealer dc/md/VA and can probably get ya sorted out.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
My understanding after reading this thread is that you can remove and replace the 2032 battery and no programming or initialization is required. Is that correct?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 4pipes
My understanding after reading this thread is that you can remove and replace the 2032 battery and no programming or initialization is required. Is that correct?
My experience, with my 09 DB9, is "yes". In my case the fob was still working but the battery was weak, so I replaced with a new battery, and had zero issues.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Do you know if the sapphire key worked when you test drove the car ..aka unlock/lock the doors??

If it did, when you change the battery the vehicle looses it's rolling key code from the remote..just simply press the headlamp button on the remote rapid a few times (5 or so times should work) ..vehicle will then pick up on the already programmed remote that just had the battery replaced.

If this does not solve the concern and you don't know if the sapphire ever worked in the first place, dealer visit will be required to see how many remotes are programmed to the vehicle. Be advised though not even the dealer can program the dead remote unless they have the "key codes"..these are not saved for viewing in the vehicle nor in Aston's data base. We save them on are dealer file to the vehicle history on PDI.. and stick them(sticker) near the rear Fuse box incase another dealer needs them..

If you can't get any key codes, cheapest solution would be to buy a Volvo(aka 2005+ model S40/V50/S60) remote with key codes and swap the internals(circuit board) to your Aston Sapphire remote..your Aston dealer can then program the remote to unlock/lock the doors

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
I changed the battery yesterday. All the buttons still communicate with my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DBS sapphire key