Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New wheels for my V8V - what offset?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
New wheels for my V8V - what offset?

I think about purchasing a new set of wheels for my V8V. My current set, the original AM 7 spoke wheels, start to look a bit outdated. Also I don’t like how they stand too much inside of the wheel arch. I don’t like to install spacers, as this would require to cut the studs. I rather stick to 19” wheels and would like to keep my current tyres (235/40ZR19 front and 275/35ZR19 rear). The new wheels should definitely come a bit more outside and the face of the wheel should line up flush with the wing. Honestly, I don’t understand this offset stuff, even after consulting Wikipedia (do I need positive or negative offset to have the wheels come out more?). So my question to you guys:
What wheel size / offset do I need considering the above?
Also what is the offset of the original AM 7 spoke wheels?
Thanks, Jarod

Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Ok, some simple stuff. Offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Typically, offset is designated by ET then # or + then #, which represents the millimeters (mm) from the hub to the centerline of the wheel.

In the case of AM, you will always be using a + offset. My general rule of thumb is the higher the + offset number is, the more the wheel will sink in the car, and the lower the + offset number is, the more the wheel will stick out of the car.

I've seen a variety of what OEM wheels are on the V8V, but all I know is that the V8VS has 19" wheels that are Front: 19x8.5, +49; Rear 19x10, +59.3. This is with front tires 245/40ZR19 and rears tires 285/35ZR19.

Since you want to stay with your OEM tires, you will want to stay with widths closer above of 8.5" front and a 9.5-10" rear. Most people who upgrade will do a 9" front and a 11" rear to get the maximum width, but will cause you to upgrade the tires as well.

Next step is to look up the tire data for your specific brand and model tire. Usually they will have a "Rim Width Range" which will tell you what rim width you can use, i.e. 8"-10". This will allow you to see the maximum size rim you can fit on your designated tire.

In my personal opinion, if you are going to upgrade the rims, see if there is anyway you can spend a little more to get new tires. It will allow you to maximize the width of a new setup. However if you want to stay with the tires listed, go with the widths similar to the V8VS of 8.5" front and 10" rear and ensure your tires will fit based off the tire spec "Rim Width Range".

As for offset (since offset only applies to width and not diameter), on my HRE's I used a 9" front +40 and 11" rear +52. If you were to use a 8.5" front and 10" rear, and assuming your 235/40/19 & 275/35/19 tires fit the widths, based off an offset calculator you will need the following width and offset setup:

19x8.5 +34
19x10 +39

Here are some resources that hopefully explain my ramblings above better:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, and one last bit... If you subtract the difference in offset from the one I had suggested versus the OEM offset on V8VS wheels, it is 15mm in the front, and 20mm in the rear. The highly recommended spacer thickness that people use on spacer setups.

Front: 8.5" +49 (OEM) minus +34 (Recommended) equals 15mm
Rear: 10" +59 (OEM) minus +39 (Recommended) equals 20mm

Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Stock is 61.5 & 52.5 I believe

Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
Elude, thank you very much for your help. This was exactly hat I was looking for.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jarod
Elude, thank you very much for your help. This was exactly hat I was looking for.
Good luck and let us know what wheel choices and sizes you ultimately end up with.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
This should be stickied. Good posts Elude.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by elude
Oh, and one last bit... If you subtract the difference in offset from the one I had suggested versus the OEM offset on V8VS wheels, it is 15mm in the front, and 20mm in the rear. The highly recommended spacer thickness that people use on spacer setups.

Front: 8.5" +49 (OEM) minus +34 (Recommended) equals 15mm
Rear: 10" +59 (OEM) minus +39 (Recommended) equals 20mm
You got the wrong wheel width for the OEM rear...it is 9.5"

Here's the right information for OEM Vantage and DB9 wheels:

F: 8.5 x 19 x 50.3mm
R: 9.5 x 19 x 62.5mm

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 01-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
You got the wrong wheel width for the OEM rear...it is 9.5"

Here's the right information for OEM Vantage and DB9 wheels:

F: 8.5 x 19 x 50.3mm
R: 9.5 x 19 x 62.5mm
My specs given were from a V8 Vantage S (per my post) which has the wider 10" rear inch rim. I also said that the V8VS has a wider rear wheel than the standard Vantage which could work with his intended tires per the tire's "Rim Width Range". My offsets listed are correct as well as they were stamped on my OEM V8VS wheels and measured for accuracy.

Oh, and one last bit... If you subtract the difference in offset from the one I had suggested versus the OEM offset on V8VS wheels...
Directly from Page 60 of the Official Aston Martin brochure for the V8 Vantage S:

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ I guess you told them!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
My specs given were from a V8 Vantage S (per my post) which has the wider 10" rear inch rim. I also said that the V8VS has a wider rear wheel than the standard Vantage which could work with his intended tires per the tire's "Rim Width Range". My offsets listed are correct as well as they were stamped on my OEM V8VS wheels and measured for accuracy.

Well, unfortunately in the quote part above, there was no mention of larger wheels at the back of the v8s...it got lost from the beginning of the thread. A table for all the oem wheels for all of the models would be very useful, this way it will be clear to all readers.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Korn58 is on a distinguished road
Elude, look who's the off-set expert now!

BTW, your car looks just AWESOME!