Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tail light condensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Tail light condensation

Do, went to do a walk thru on the car and notice alot of moisture inside the tail lights. The service manager didn't seem to concerned. Is that normal for this car considering it was detailed yesterday and sat inside since?
He said if they can't vent it they will replace it.
Thoughts please

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
That is not normal, there is a leak path somewhere that needs to be fixed. Could be the seal around the tail-light housing. I would have them repair it before taking delivery.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
if it's under warranty, get it fixed before it's up..if off warranty, for a aston it's normal..hehe well not in the fact that this is ok and normal to happen..just saying I can't count how many I've seen..

There is a fix, it requires drilling a hole in the bottom of the light assembly near the back, blow out water with air..not to much air and don't make hole air tight with air nozzle otherwise lens will explode from to much air pressure build-up. Where the water leaks out is where the lens in not sealing...cover that area with 5min mix epoxy and let dry..done deal, light is not water tight..

If left for a long duration with water, you will need a new light assembly for the LED circuit board will corrode and fault

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
I actually had this same issue on my V8VS. My left taillight was having condensation and took it into the dealer under warranty (and they replaced both taillights with new ones!). The AM Tech said that sometimes when installed, the bolts are overtightened and it cracks the seal on the taillight with no visual damage (aside the condensation).

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
The dealer just called me and they are installing 2 brand new tail lights.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
CobaltC4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Breezman
The dealer just called me and they are installing 2 brand new tail lights.
Clear?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by CobaltC4S
Clear?
Yes they are

Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ good deal they should replace them, foggy tails are no not something you should expect on a dealer bought fairly new car.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Very excited... car is being delivered to my house in an hour and a half

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I bought my clear tails from RSC a while ago but it wasn't until a couple of months ago that I noticed there's condensation on the left unit (right after washing my car earlier that day).

There's a hairline gap on the surface of the lens where water can get through. You can't really see the gap, but your fingernail will catch on it if you run your finger on the seam between the rear fog light lens and the rest of the lens. I suspect it was a manufacturing defect. I'm concerned one day the moisture is going to require me to buy a replacement.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CobaltC4S
Clear?
Standard on the S

Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
IMO the tail lights are a flawed design. If you rinse your car gently with a hose, no problem. But don't even think about pointing a pressure washer or even a strong hose nozzle in their direction as you will get water leaking in and condensation! Make sure in the future to tell your detailer not to direct any spray onto them.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spinecho
IMO the tail lights are a flawed design. If you rinse your car gently with a hose, no problem. But don't even think about pointing a pressure washer or even a strong hose nozzle in their direction as you will get water leaking in and condensation! Make sure in the future to tell your detailer not to direct any spray onto them.
I know where you are coming from, however I've always pressure washed my Astons over the last 4 years with no issue.
Though I do dry it carefully.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I've not noticed any condensation on my DB9 clear tails. I've been thru some pretty bad rainstorms at least once or twice and no issues. I don't use a pressure washer on any of my cars, I use ONR, it's a game changer, 2 bucket method.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
My first set of clear tails developed condensation in the left light after a few weeks.... Aston Martin Bits said it's actually a decently common defect on the clear sets. (Customer service was awesome and they sent me another one, no questions asked)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail light condensation