Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sport shift concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
darren08 is on a distinguished road
Sport shift concerns

I just purchased 08 v8v and as I was parking in garage for first time, the cars tranny was engaging and disengaging? Normal? Have not tried to park in really tight spot till yesterday. It was lunging a little when it engaged and disengaged.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
I think this is fairly normal. I remember my Vantage didn't like driving around parking structures much -- especially speed bumps.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:01 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
That's creep mode
It will engage and creep in 1st and reverse if you have no feet on pedals
It's a PITA best thing you can do is let it do its thing
If you try fighting it with a little throttle you will either stall it or get what you are seeing (which won't help clutch life either)
Thankfully ASM2 doesn't have it.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 AM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
seems that pulling one click of handbrake would cancel or at least reduce the creep mode.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Creep mode will disengage clutch when you touch the brake. Except it doesn't work well when reverse back an inclined spot. Foot off the pedals, creep is not strong enough. If hit the throttle, car reverses too fast and if you switch to brake, my car doesn't disengage fast enough so it stalls. I can't imagine parallel park that thing on a hill. Almost wish it just have a slush box and be done with it. 99% of time nobody cares about 100ms slower shift time right? I don't quite understand the engineering trade off there. Maybe just so they can market it as a true sports car.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rbobby
Creep mode will disengage clutch when you touch the brake. Except it doesn't work well when reverse back an inclined spot. Foot off the pedals, creep is not strong enough. If hit the throttle, car reverses too fast and if you switch to brake, my car doesn't disengage fast enough so it stalls. I can't imagine parallel park that thing on a hill. Almost wish it just have a slush box and be done with it. 99% of time nobody cares about 100ms slower shift time right? I don't quite understand the engineering trade off there. Maybe just so they can market it as a true sports car.
Creep mode and the **** reverse ratio were removed on ASM2 & 3
AND they do auto learns and blip the throttle on down changes
The 6MT still retains the **** reverse ratio though

Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikey k

The 6MT still retains the **** reverse ratio though
Yup, can't tell you how many times I've stalled it in reverse for every time I've stalled it in 1st. You'd think it's be the opposite way around.

In fact, since I don't reverse too often, I keep forgetting how it is and stall it EVERY time. Pretty embarrassing.