Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 - Daily Driver

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
V8 - Daily Driver

I recently purchased my 07 - V8V (Canadian). Ive put approximately 2,000 kms since I got it in October.

The reason I went with an 07 with 10,000kms, is that most of the depreciation has already occurred. I did consider other cars like the Jag F type and the Audi RS5. The RS5 is significantly more expensive (15,000 more than my V8V). Thing is, I see people driving these newer cars as daily drivers. Any reason in particular an aston isnt a suitable daily driver. I live in downtown toronto, and there is usually less snow than other parts of Toronto. I am sure that the purchasers of those cars are also concerned about protecting the value of their car.

How bad is salt/snow/weather to the aston? I am all about protecting the value of my car, and usually rent a car whenever the weather is a disaster.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I'm in Minneapolis and before the snow started falling (just before) I actually ran into another Vantage (at night). His is also an 07 - black which he will drive year round. I decided against it because I like to keep the car pristine, and I'd be washing it a few times a day, and I could not keep road chemicals away from chassis places that would be difficult to reach. In the old days I used to drive the many 928's I owned year round, but they were not only commonplace but cheap to acquire.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I daily drive my DB9 all year round (about 10,000 km/year) but I do leave it parked when they're salting the roads. Fortunately in Vancouver that's usually only a few days a year.

At 1,000 km/month your mileage will hurt your resale value as much as winter will. Most of us won't live long enough to see Gaydon Astons climb in value (if they ever do) so my attitude is to drive it, enjoy it, and consider the depreciation to be one of the costs of living well

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
With winter tires, no reason you should have any issues in Toronto, on all but the snowiest of days. But the salt! I just could not bear to subject an Aston to road salt - it would be, well ... uncouth!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
I daily drive my DB9 all year round (about 10,000 km/year) but I do leave it parked when they're salting the roads. Fortunately in Vancouver that's usually only a few days a year.

At 1,000 km/month your mileage will hurt your resale value as much as winter will. Most of us won't live long enough to see Gaydon Astons climb in value (if they ever do) so my attitude is to drive it, enjoy it, and consider the depreciation to be one of the costs of living well
Well, the 1,000kms/month was just an exception, as I just got it and wanted to drive. Everything is within close vicinity to me. In fact, its probably quicker to walk to my gym then drive.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I have the vantage V8 I live in Cape town, we have superb roads (and traffic) I drive it furrrrck the resale, Im living for me.... I do wash it to often, and in the dirt road needs i use my offroader simple wats the point of shelling out huge cash for a garage queen!! next thing you will be putting on seat covers.... to protect the seats for the next owner.

Enjoy it mate = simple

Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I'm in Minneapolis and before the snow started falling (just before) I actually ran into another Vantage (at night). His is also an 07 - black which he will drive year round. I decided against it because I like to keep the car pristine, and I'd be washing it a few times a day, and I could not keep road chemicals away from chassis places that would be difficult to reach. In the old days I used to drive the many 928's I owned year round, but they were not only commonplace but cheap to acquire.
Many 928's... Really! A glutton for punishment for sure. A friend of mine who owns a Porsche store told me not to go near that car due to its many service related woes. The V8 Vantage must seem bullet-proof by comparison!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captain Greg
I have the vantage V8 I live in Cape town, we have superb roads (and traffic) I drive it furrrrck the resale, Im living for me.... I do wash it to often, and in the dirt road needs i use my offroader simple wats the point of shelling out huge cash for a garage queen!! next thing you will be putting on seat covers.... to protect the seats for the next owner.

Enjoy it mate = simple
Ahhhh Cape Town Roads. Ive been to your fine city a few times. We have stayed there and also in Paarl. My wife is from there and her parents live in Mossel Bay and sister in Plett. The roads along the coast are amazing. Every time Im there I wish I had one of my sports cars or a sport bike to cruise around. The 40 hour flight to get there just about kills me though..LOL.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spinecho
With winter tires, no reason you should have any issues in Toronto, on all but the snowiest of days. But the salt! I just could not bear to subject an Aston to road salt - it would be, well ... uncouth!
^^^ This. These Astons are very well built, and the only steel in the body or chassis is the rear fenders. But... Salt is EVIL. There is no question that a car (Aston or otherwise) that is exposed to salt will not stay in the same condition long term as one that is not exposed to salt. Also, all those winter road chemicals get into and onto everything, plus all the sand and other road grit they use gets thrown at your paint by all the other cars on the road -- cars must pick up more stone chips in the winter than during the other 3 seasons combined.

Can it handle it? Yes. But I love my Aston too much to expose it to road salt -- it stays in the garage when there is salt on the roads, period.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by slayer of souls
I recently purchased my 07 - V8V (Canadian). Ive put approximately 2,000 kms since I got it in October.

The reason I went with an 07 with 10,000kms, is that most of the depreciation has already occurred. I did consider other cars like the Jag F type and the Audi RS5. The RS5 is significantly more expensive (15,000 more than my V8V). Thing is, I see people driving these newer cars as daily drivers. Any reason in particular an aston isnt a suitable daily driver. I live in downtown toronto, and there is usually less snow than other parts of Toronto. I am sure that the purchasers of those cars are also concerned about protecting the value of their car.

How bad is salt/snow/weather to the aston? I am all about protecting the value of my car, and usually rent a car whenever the weather is a disaster.
Funny you mention RS5, I just took delivery of a 2014 RS5. I am using it as a daily driver, the AM is for fun and track. Similiar engines, but totally different cars. The tranny in the audi is so smooth it's ridiculous and delivers lots of power, but you feel the digital ness of the car. The V8V has a visceral feel and it is still an occasion.

I don't have salt or winter to deal with in Dallas, just lots of heat!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I have commercial diesel trucks that I run up to New England in the winter time. You should see what they look like after they are 4 years old, they are ruined from the salt and brine on the roads up there. Fastener's won't come off - everything on the frame and engine is corroded or rusted, it really takes a toll on the machinery. My local truck mechanics always say "Where have you had these trucks?". Maintenance costs are higher because so many of the parts in the engine are frozen or break when you put a wrench on them. There is no way I'll subject my Vantage to that - not happening. This is my winter ride....A 2001 F 250 with 154,000 miles on it and worth all of $ 3,000. Throw 500 lbs of weight over the rear axle and I'm good to go. I'm not ruining my Aston Martin!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F250_zpse5bf4b7c.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	312722  
Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
im in the same boat, but very lucky I live in Cali. However, the miles will have to be put on, because I will be driving it. its just too much fun not to.
I have also had mine for 4 weeks and have 3000Km put on it. (that's 2000miles in Yankee-land)
I don't think ill ever willingly drive it in the rain. I want to keep it nice. Ive had it on the track and its a blast. Considering picking up some RA1s on the next shoe fitting, if they make them in 19s.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
Many 928's... Really! A glutton for punishment for sure. A friend of mine who owns a Porsche store told me not to go near that car due to its many service related woes. The V8 Vantage must seem bullet-proof by comparison!

NOPE, the 928 is an AMAZING car with very little equals. comfort is beyond imagination if you haven't driven one. the net net, is the Vantage is a 928 brought into the 21st century! same weight, height, near same power, width, hatchback, transmission in the back, etc etc.
one thing, the 928 is very easy to work on.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slayer of souls

Sent you a private message. I have a couple questions for you about an AM out your way. Tks.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzir
Sent you a private message. I have a couple questions for you about an AM out your way. Tks.
Responded.

Man this country is killing me. Just want to take the aston out.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 - Daily Driver