Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ASM2 Gearbox Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mikey k
Its an option on ASM3, it was not fitted on the first V12VS's
I'm not at all clear on what you are saying. Is this a customer selectable option (I have seen the V12VS options list and it was not there) or is it at factory discretion? If the latter, what determines whether a particular V12VS has the cooler fitted? Or are all V12VS past a certain build date now automatically fitted with the cooler?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:36 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Wow! Great picks. I never understood why they removed the transmission cooler. I personally love that the older cars have them and don't mind the 50lbw eight penalty for extra piece of mind. Now that I am mobil1 fluid he tranny fluid gets nice and smooth when full warm so the cooler is definitely a plus.

Awesome writeup, I don't think we have ever seen such close ups of the internals before, great job.

On a side note, what is the real benefits of shot peening? Strength or smoothness?
Thanks
Found this that puts it very well

http://www.engineeredabrasives.com/b...t-peening.html

Old 07-04-2014, 02:39 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spinecho
I'm not at all clear on what you are saying. Is this a customer selectable option (I have seen the V12VS options list and it was not there) or is it at factory discretion? If the latter, what determines whether a particular V12VS has the cooler fitted? Or are all V12VS past a certain build date now automatically fitted with the cooler?
Yep its vague!
launch, press and early cars did not have it fitted, look through the grill in the rear bumper. no radiator = no oil cooler
A recent buyer of a V12VS has told me it was offered to him as an option but as you say does not appear in the literature

Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Lovely. Hardly reassuring, is it?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
I see what you did there
I know of 4 other ASM2 boxes that have gone same way
Apparently with out the oil cooler the temps have been seen as high as 160C. This breaks the oil down thickening it and thereby reducing the lubrication. I seen similar circumstances on large air compressors with our business, once the oil sees prolonged periods of high temps it degrades it. I do tend to "use" my car it is not a bimble around car. So maybe I accelerated the issue.
Ironically the cooler circuit was fitted to ASM1 on the V8 and is now an "option" on the V12VS
I'm uncertain whether this is a "ticking time bomb" though I do think we will see more of these issues.
I read all this somewhat amazed that the oil cooler could even be contemplated for deletion, at least from from the V12...all that torque and power...

Old 07-05-2014, 05:51 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Thanks
Found this that puts it very well

http://www.engineeredabrasives.com/b...t-peening.html

Thanks for the info, makes a lot of sense and it specifically says it's for gears as well so it appears you are using it for it's intended purpose.

I too am absolutely shocked they removed the oil cooler for (weight savings). Kinda makes me appreciate my early 4.3L gen Vantage even more!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:14 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Wish I new what the real motive/logic was for removing the cooler on Sportshift II cars. Especially when the 6-speed manual has always had it.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Maybe trying to cleverly cut costs? ... Only to realize it backfired

Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Wish I new what the real motive/logic was for removing the cooler on Sportshift II cars. Especially when the 6-speed manual has always had it.
All 6-speeds have it, all 7-speeds don't. The 6-speeds are oil cooled and after research, Graziano realized the cooler didn't reduce the temps much being there is little heat transfer from the engine to the transmission, only heat transfer was from the exhaust pipes running parallel(there is no compression or combustion). The cooler is right behind the muffler, which during low speeds actually heated the oil more instead of reducing the temp(what speeds due most drive at). The pump also ate up 10bhp, to pump the oil through the cooler, remember it's a 70w weight, but still thinker than motor oil). Being the power loss and barely heat reduction, it was scrapped for the 7-speed plans.

The 7-speed was made and research by Graziano to be air-cooled, Aston then added a flap to there undertray to help direct air to the air cooled fins on the trans casing.

The deletion of the cooler were not Aston Martin's idea, it was a replacement of the 6-Speed trans by Graziano to a air cooled lighter/stronger/more efficient unit.

Hope this helps shed the light a bit..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Then why are there more premature failures? And also why did they end up putting it back on the later V12S transmissions if it infact was not necessary as you claim ?

Something does not add up

Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Then why are there more premature failures? And also why did they end up putting it back on the later V12S transmissions if it infact was not necessary as you claim ?

What failure is on a 7-speed internals? I just got 2 V12VS off the truck and both are decked out....no cooler, I'm sorry but I'm yet to see any proof off this cooler in a 7-speed..not saying it's B.S of an option, but don't see this option anywhere unless it's a Q design and fitment

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 AM

I'm not disagreeing that the lack of an oil cooler is a potential worry. But nothing "adds up" in this whole conversation unless someone can actually provide hard numbers as to gearbox failures. Who says there are more premature failures? Do we actually have data to back up this statement?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spinecho
I'm not disagreeing that the lack of an oil cooler is a potential worry. But nothing "adds up" in this whole conversation unless someone can actually provide hard numbers as to gearbox failures. Who says there are more premature failures? Do we actually have data to back up this statement?
If we have a vehicle with the ASM II, which is still under warranty, is there anything we can do to get it checked out to see if there are signs of premature failure before the warranty expires? Or are we just crossing our fingers and hoping it doesn't happen?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 AM
I've been asked that a few times!
Best thing you can do it ask the dealer to drop the oil and check for overheating or contamination. Get them to refill with new.
They will charge for it, but its worth doing for peace of mind.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:44 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
I've been asked that a few times!
Best thing you can do it ask the dealer to drop the oil and check for overheating or contamination. Get them to refill with new.
They will charge for it, but its worth doing for peace of mind.
Perfect! Thanks for the response. That is definitely something I will get done. May wait until a month or so before the warranty expires so that, if there is an issue, it will have more time to present itself.

Would love to know if anyone has had this done by thier dealer and what the results were.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ASM2 Gearbox Failure