Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2015 V8 Vantage GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Man, I'm such a sucker for just ordering yet another one of these brand-devalued cars. Oh, the shame, the humiliation. How will I ever show my face in public again?
Karl,

It's great for you, and I'm sure you'll get huge enjoyment from the car. It's a great car, and I think it's worth far more money than you'll pay for it. Which is also great for you.

That doesn't mean it isn't bad for the marque.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
Honest question: What was the least expensive car Aston Martin produced prior to the current V8 Vantage and how much did it cost in today's dollars?

The current V8V is produced in far greater numbers than just about anything else Aston has ever made. Doesn't that in itself represent a dilution of the brand? If the V8V is the lowest-priced Aston to date, doesn't that devalue the brand as well?
The V8V is NOT the cheapest Aston when one adjusts the pricing over time. I don't know what the cheapest one was, but I posted this in 2012:

"In 1962, the price of a DB4 in the US was $10,475. According to the Consumer Price Index, this is equal to $80,300 in 2012. Obviously, that's quite a bit less than the price of a V8V today. In 1964, the DB5 tested by Road&Track had an as-tested price of $13,222, which translates to $98,660. The DB6, in 1966, was $15,495. That's $110,625 now, which is still less expensive than today's V8V. Even after the (NP) V8 came out, the price was more like a V8V's than a DB9, and far below the price of a DBS or Vanquish. In 1977, Road&Track's test V8 Coupe cost $35,250, which is $134,550 in 2012 dollars -- in the range of a new V8V today. Then, things changed. Just 5 years later, in 1982, a V8 Volante listed at $115,000, which equates to $275,660 in 2012. The Lagonda was $150,000, which is $359,600 today. The V8 Coupe, in '84, was $110,000, which is $244,900 in 2012. Today's V8 Vantage did not take AM into a new and "cheaper" market, just a market that they hadn't played in for a while."

The above notwithstanding, the drastic price slashing of a current model sends a terrible message.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:59 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
How are you guys who are placing orders configuring your cars? Is there any chance of a discount on MSRP even with the reduced pricing? I went to the dealer but there is no pricing for the options, just checkboxes. There has to be a way to choose a different exterior color, also

Old 04-20-2014, 05:18 AM
jj525 is on a distinguished road
The new, AMG cars, will begin to arrive in 2016. Until then the factory has to keep running. "Build out" is a fact of life in the new car business, the new car is coming and no one wants the old car. Many manufacturers attempt to solve this problem with special editions or "free" options. Aston has decided GT is the way to go. Many would have done it differently but this is the road that was chosen. Does it devalue the brand? How much is the brand worth, they sold about 350 Vantages is the US last year. At that sales rate the brand doesn't have much value to the manufacturer or dealer or one could argue to an owner. All involved need Aston to get to the new AMG enhanced models. If GT helps that it will be good for all concerned.

The dealers I have talked with say GT is being well received in the market. Let's all hope it works.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Perhaps this should be a new thread. How many enthusiasts considering F-Type R will now opt for an v8v? Is the allure of a new Aston Martin strong enough to tip the scales? Would love to hear from those in the market.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I honestly wondered why anyone would choose an F-type over a Vantage GT for around the same money. My dealership sells both brands and their staff was wondering the same thing. Actually, the Jag is a bit cheaper. But once you start adding options to either car, the price escalates very quickly. For example, the carbon grab handles for the Vantage doors are $3,190!

I guess if you want more gadgets, or a (very good) automatic transmission (vs. sport shift) you get the Jag. But if you want a manual gearbox and the prestige that comes with the marque (along with a prettier car, IMO) you want the Aston.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of

I guess if you want more gadgets, or a (very good) automatic transmission (vs. sport shift) you get the Jag. But if you want a manual gearbox and the prestige that comes with the marque (along with a prettier car, IMO) you want the Aston.
I think you take the Jag if you want the extra 120 bhp.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Absolute BS. Astons don't have to have 12 cylinders to be worthy. A 12 didn't even exist until about 15 years ago. Do the DB2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 devalue the marque? The DBR1? All the NP V8 cars? Horror of horrors, prewar Astons had, dare I say it publicly, just 4 cylinders. Oh, the embarrassment
You miss the point. It's not because of the V12, it's because the V12V is closer to the $200K price point than the V8 versions. Aston should not be in the sub $200K market in general, which means the V12V should be the least expensive car they offer.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13952382885_26895ffef9.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	363155  
206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If you spec a V8V GT will every available option, MSRP is $147,082.50

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Stuart@VelocityAP; 04-20-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Math!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:08 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Stuart, your image is missing an entire section titled Interior Functional which includes things such as Premium or B&O sound system, memory seats, heated seats, satellite radio, GT Technology pack, alarm volumetric upgrade, etc.

Additionally, we came across some other options that didn't even have prices associated with them. The most notable of these were genuine carbon fiber exhaust tips originally developed for the one-77. I'd hate to know how much those babies would cost although I must say they looked seriously cool in the picture we saw.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart, your image is missing an entire section titled Interior Functional which includes things such as Premium or B&O sound system, memory seats, heated seats, satellite radio, GT Technology pack, alarm volumetric upgrade, etc.

Additionally, we came across some other options that didn't even have prices associated with them. The most notable of these were genuine carbon fiber exhaust tips originally developed for the one-77. I'd hate to know how much those babies would cost although I must say they looked seriously cool in the picture we saw.
Sorry I didn't realize it had cut off the second page:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13956602474_d974b9432b.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	363257  
206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
$1600 for painted brake calipers. That was a $600 option a few years back.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Sorry I didn't realize it had cut off the second page:
The interesting thing about that last page is that satellite radio is listed as standard but then mentioned again as part of the GT Technology Pack. We couldn't figure that out and the dealership is trying to get Aston to explain it.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
only potential benefit I see of the price slashing and moving more units is like Porsche, the mass market lower end sales is the only reason we still get GT3RS's, GT2RS's, and all the other performance oriented 911's.

People cried foul in '99 with the Boxster and it helped turning around company, moreso when the Cayenne was released. Does the Macan devalue the brand? Maybe... but they will sell millions, make Porsche billions and cement the future of Porsche sports cars for years to come. It's a worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

Let's also not forget the Vantage is a seriously old platform these days compared to it's rivals. Aston sells a version of it cheaper and manages to avoid a redesign off for another 2-3 years. Makes sense. The V8 is more or less the same body and drivetrain as they released a decade ago.

Last edited by daedalus; 04-20-2014 at 08:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 V8 Vantage GT