Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY DB9 Change out door Struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM
dallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the rough
DIY DB9 Change out door Struts

Tools Needed:
• T30 Torx Socket
• Drill with Socket adapter
• Jack Stands
• Lug Wrench
• Prop for door (Or a hot helper!)
• Small Flathead screwdriver
• Needle nose pliers
• New Strut AM 4G43-23504-AB or similar: https://www.astonmartinbits.com/mode...gato/parts/996

1. Jack up Front of car and place on stands

2. Remove front tires

3. Remove wheel well liners using Torx socket

4. Prop open door so you can reach head of strut.

5. Unplug side marker light. Pull clip from bottom.

6. Move foam insulation out of the way.

7. Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off clips. Needle nose pliers can also help. (This pic is a little sideways for clarity)

8. Place new strut on. You can pre-install the clips. Use a long screwdriver or needle nose to help seat

9. Re-Install in reverse order

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80-dscn0139_e84c9c03de95328ebc14caee16217670ab895080.jpg
Views:	3207
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	374469   Click image for larger version

Name:	80-dscn0168_2a0b0c9f8061963d98c93d83c3fb57420ee80d11.jpg
Views:	3117
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	374470   Click image for larger version

Name:	80-dscn0169_ebc6744c0decc69a00b6d5b9ddbb2adb73bb104f.jpg
Views:	3061
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	374471  
Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
You've inspired me.. Just ordered a pair from astonmartinbits. Thanks again for a great write up!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:36 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
excellent!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:38 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
what a great thing to do for an aging aston. when I did my V8 vantage, I was in heaven. door stays open, effortless opening, closes more gently. the simple things, right???

Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Wanted to thank you again for this post! I had a little free time this afternoon so I decided to FINALLY tackle this. I wish I would have done it 2 years ago as I have been (not so) silently suffering with this problem for a long time. I couldn't be happier!

It's guys like yourself who take the time to do these write ups that really make this forum an amazing tool for enthusiasts. If you are ever in the S.E Wisconsin area I'd invite you to stop by one of my establishments for drinks on the house!

Thanks again sir!

Eric

Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Nice thread. Not enough DIY's on this forum. I'll be getting a Vantage next year and like to do as much of my own maintenance as possible. Not being a natural mechanic, I always rely heavily on trail blazers before me. For whatever reason there isn't much of that with this brand. Part of it might be the low production numbers. It's really appreciated when someone takes the time to document their work. Nice thread.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Lots of DIY in the FAQ thread. But yeah not as much as some of the higher production vehicles, plus some projects are difficult because of the electronics and lack of the AM diag software for most people.

Please post any diy you do and will certainly ad to the FAQ thread!

Chris

Originally Posted by deckman
Nice thread. Not enough DIY's on this forum. I'll be getting a Vantage next year and like to do as much of my own maintenance as possible. Not being a natural mechanic, I always rely heavily on trail blazers before me. For whatever reason there isn't much of that with this brand. Part of it might be the low production numbers. It's really appreciated when someone takes the time to document their work. Nice thread.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 AM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for this writeup!

I replaced door struts and hood & trunk struts too. Overall simple job, especially with this guide.

Notes to others:
- On my 2007 Vantage, you have to remove about 3-4 of the philips screws holding in the black plastic front lip piece also. One of those screws that goes into the wheel liner is under it so you have to loosen it enough to get access. I didn't fully remove, just gave the ends enough play to get access to that screw.
- Start with the hood/trunk struts. For some reason I started with the doors. The doors are MUCH easier once you've figured out your strut removal techniques with the hood/trunk struts where you can actually see what you are doing.
- As notes, a hot helper is needed! I tried doing this myself on the doors by propping them at first but what you really need is someone that can move the door slightly open/closed to get the inner connection ball at just the right position to make it easy.
- Removing the fender liners at first seems a bit difficult, but it's easy once you've done it once. Just be patient and wiggle things a lot. Don't be afraid to bend the liner a bit, better than putting pressure on the bumper cover, etc... There are a ton of screws, just make sure you've got them all.
- DON'T FORGET to reconnect the side markers. oops.

My times were 2 hours for the passenger door (going slow and learning), about 15 min for all 4 hood and trunk struts, and about 35 min for the driver door and about 20 min to jack it all back up again and partially loosen the driver side liner so I could reconnect the forgotten side marker.

Overall, not a difficult task, just a bit time consuming.

The difference is amazing! The doors, hood, and trunk all now pop open and stay put.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
wish i had the ***** to do this. need to change out the 2 door struts in my 08.

How much you guys think an indy would charge for this?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:39 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
jateshk - You are in LA/OC area, right? If so, I'd be willing to help if you want to try to tackle it.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ab_aston
jateshk - You are in LA/OC area, right? If so, I'd be willing to help if you want to try to tackle it.
Yes near culver city. Where are you located? Thanks so much for offering!!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Love the DIY write ups. Question though. So when doing this I could easily swap out my side markers. Anything else that is made accessible when doing this that I could take care of? Looks like brakes, maybe filters? and ...

Don't take the car apart that often so if I can line things up ahead of time and catch them when the opportunity is there.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:35 PM
mantonkroh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dallasbaker
Tools Needed:
• T30 Torx Socket
• Drill with Socket adapter
• Jack Stands
• Lug Wrench
• Prop for door (Or a hot helper!)
• Small Flathead screwdriver
• Needle nose pliers
• New Strut AM 4G43-23504-AB or similar: https://www.astonmartinbits.com/mode...gato/parts/996

1. Jack up Front of car and place on stands

2. Remove front tires

3. Remove wheel well liners using Torx socket

4. Prop open door so you can reach head of strut.

5. Unplug side marker light. Pull clip from bottom.

6. Move foam insulation out of the way.

7. Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off clips. Needle nose pliers can also help. (This pic is a little sideways for clarity)

8. Place new strut on. You can pre-install the clips. Use a long screwdriver or needle nose to help seat

9. Re-Install in reverse order
Awesome post Dallasbaker! Is this an upgrade to the OEM strut? I am sick of telling my friends who get out of my car to hold the door an inch away before letting it drop to close. I love the swan doors but since they slam when closing its a pain.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:37 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Just replace the old OEM struts with new OEM struts. Makes a world of difference.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:02 PM
mantonkroh is on a distinguished road
Ok. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY DB9 Change out door Struts