Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Just joined the club!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 PM
mandown01 is on a distinguished road
Just joined the club!

Hello Everyone,

Just picked up my first AM yesterday! It's an 08 with 17K on it. I fell in love when I saw it. It has only been 24 hours but I couldn't be happier. Engine sounds great, sound system is amazing, comfortable, and looks like nothing on the road.

I bought the car in Chicago from X Motorsport out in Elston. I attached a couple of pics.

Any suggestions on where the service the car in the Chicago area? Only thing that annoys me about the car is there is a squeek under 20 mph that pops up from time to time. From what I have read so far, some folks think it is a break issue or a bracket issue. The squeek isn't that loud so I'll just see if they can do anything at AM time.

Any other suggestions you folks can give me? The car didn't come with a manual so I may have to pay to download it. Also, does anyone know how much does a spare key cost on an 08?

Looking forward to being a member of the AM club.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140726_125638.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	397603   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140727_083538.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	397604   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140727_083554.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	397605  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Welcome and congrats

Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 PM
darren08 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:48 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Congrats with your purchase and welcome to the AM-club!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Very nice car! How was your purchase experience from them?

Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I'm in Minneapolis but I've been servicing my car at Lake Forest who had been doing a great job for me.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:42 PM
N91K is on a distinguished road
Great car, congrats and welcome to the forum!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Clean combo!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
Very nice car! How was your purchase experience from them?
They were actually great. Easiest car purchase I ever had. No pressure whatsoever. They even offered to let me drive some of the other cars they had there (r8 and a Grand Turismo).

Old 07-27-2014, 06:28 PM
I have been driving the AM all day. Is it just me or is the AM a little tricky to get a clean transition from 1st to 2nd gear w/o 2nd revving a little before it kicks in? I wonder if I'm just not used to the torque band.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mandown01
I have been driving the AM all day. Is it just me or is the AM a little tricky to get a clean transition from 1st to 2nd gear w/o 2nd revving a little before it kicks in? I wonder if I'm just not used to the torque band.
Hi mandown01,

Unfortunately, I believe I know what the issue is with your transmission. I actually had that car inspected at Napletons Aston Martin less than two weeks ago with the intent to purchase it, but decided to pass because of several large issues that came up during the pre purchase inspection. I certainly hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the clutch is bad in that car and will need replacing. I'm happy to send you the results from the PPI I had done at Napletons free of charge - just PM me your email address. Fil (the service manager at Napletons) is aware of the issues with the car as it was recently inspected, so I would recommend them for the servicing in a heartbeat.

Edit: To save some hoolpa, here's my original post about the PPI results :/ https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4156474

I just PM'ed you my email address so I can send you the PPI (you're probably too new to PM someone yourself).

Last edited by midwestamv8; 07-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by midwestamv8
Hi mandown01,

Unfortunately, I believe I know what the issue is with your transmission. I actually had that car inspected at Napletons Aston Martin less than two weeks ago with the intent to purchase it, but decided to pass because of several large issues that came up during the pre purchase inspection. I certainly hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the clutch is bad in that car and will need replacing. I'm happy to send you the results from the PPI I had done at Napletons free of charge - just PM me your email address. Fil (the service manager at Napletons) is aware of the issues with the car as it was recently inspected, so I would recommend them for the servicing in a heartbeat.

Edit: To save some hoolpa, here's my original post about the PPI results :/ https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4156474

I just PM'ed you my email address so I can send you the PPI (you're probably too new to PM someone yourself).
Hello midwestamv8,

Thank you very much for letting me know about your experience with the car. My fault I guess....they showed me the carfax and it said that the car had just been serviced in Downers Grove so I thought all was good! Did you tell them about the problem with the "clutch"? If they knew of the problem and did not tell me, than I'll give them an ear full tomorrow.

I'll email you for the report via the email you sent me privately.

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 PM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mandown01
Hello midwestamv8,

Thank you very much for letting me know about your experience with the car. My fault I guess....they showed me the carfax and it said that the car had just been serviced in Downers Grove so I thought all was good! Did you tell them about the problem with the "clutch"? If they knew of the problem and did not tell me, than I'll give them an ear full tomorrow.

I'll email you for the report via the email you sent me privately.

Thanks again!
I'll be emailing you the details in a few minutes.

I absolutely *hate* how carfax works for service records. An 07' here in STL said "vehicle serviced" at the local Aston Dealership on its carfax, and the third party dealer tried to say it was the 30k service that was done there. After he knew I was calling around to verify the service, he then told me it was a PPI that was done there instead(and the 30k was done at an independent shop). I couldn't have known the difference without the *paper* records, because carfax just says "Vehicle Serviced" no matter what you bring it in for.

Yes, the "Vehicle Serviced" at Napletons Aston Martin on the carfax at 17,710 miles was the PPI I had done on it - no "service" was performed. Kevin (@ X Motors) tried telling me he had changed the oil recently, but the tech said it was too dirty for that to have been true.

Edit: he absolutely knew it was a PPI done on it at Napletons so if he told you otherwise you could at least get him on that.

Last edited by midwestamv8; 07-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
As I recall the car was pretty aggressively priced, so replacing the clutch is not the end of the world so don't let that spoil your ownership experience. The cars overall are pretty reliable.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to approach the people you bought it from about it tho.

Chris

Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by zvez
As I recall the car was pretty aggressively priced, so replacing the clutch is not the end of the world so don't let that spoil your ownership experience. The cars overall are pretty reliable.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to approach the people you bought it from about it tho.

Chris
I would agree with you if it was just the clutch, but it has the timing chain cover oil leak as well. It also has a bent rim that causes the steering wheel to vibrate, a repainted and chipping rear bumper cover, four dry-rotted tires, and it desperately needs a full service (AM tech's words... not mine). There are other small issues on the PPI (water in marker assembly, rear marker bulb is out, one wheel has curb damage, cat's are rattling, etc), but those are just the larger items... Fil said to fix everything on the car would cost upwards of $10,000, so while I don't want to "spoil his experience", he needs to be aware of what he just got in to so he can take recourse if he wishes. I wouldn't be a happy camper spending $60k on a car that needed $10k in service right off the bat, so all I'm saying is I'm not sure I'd be playing this off as not a big deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just joined the club!