Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage exhaust tip removal

Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
V8 Vantage exhaust tip removal

I did a search but didn't find specific details. Can I remove the exhaust tips without taking off the plastic rear bumper or dropping the exhaust. I looked at it, and it looks like enough room to do it but wanted to make sure before I start the process. I plan to get the tips powder coated satin black.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I can be done. I have done it a few times but it's like a jigsaw puzzle to maneuver the tips in or out and you have to be really careful not to scratch them or the car as you remove or replace them. It is much easier to do with bumper off but then removing the bumper is also a pain

Also, be careful when reinstalling the tips. Each of the three bolts that hold the tip to the plastic bumper has two ceramic heat-insulating spacers that are very delicate and can crack like fine china if you over-tighten them. Anything over 2 or 3 lb-ft if torque and they will shatter into pieces.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
thanks for the tips on the tips Karl! I guess I'll give it a shot I just absolutely don't want to pull the bumper if I can avoid it.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Removing the bumper isn't horrible but a little cumbersome to do. It helps if you have a second pair if hands. When I get my new GT I will immediately proceed to remove the bumper so I can replace the plastic diffuser with the new carbon one I have had sitting in a box in my garage for the past few months.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I suspect it might be easier to remove the exhaust and get the tips out from behind.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM
I fiddled a bit with them this morning, I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the bumper. I didn't realize but apparently the tips are actually attached to the bumper and not the exhaust.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes. The tips do not actually touch the exhaust. Like I said, I can be done because I've done it 4 times. But removing the bumper might be more convenient.

If you do remove the bumper make note that there are a few hidden bolts and screws. One is in the fuse compartment. One is under a plastic cover in the left side carpet. There are also two bolts and two screws under the taillights which you will also have to remove.

The top center of the bumper is also attached by industrial Velcro. You might not have to fully remove the bumper and might get away with just swinging it out at the bottom but you have to be careful that the leading edges by the taillights do not scratch the rear fenders.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM
thanks Karl!

It'd be so much easier if I had a lift!

Originally Posted by karlfranz
Yes. The tips do not actually touch the exhaust. Like I said, I can be done because I've done it 4 times. But removing the bumper might be more convenient.

If you do remove the bumper make note that there are a few hidden bolts and screws. One is in the fuse compartment. One is under a plastic cover in the left side carpet. There are also two bolts and two screws under the taillights which you will also have to remove.

The top center of the bumper is also attached by industrial Velcro. You might not have to fully remove the bumper and might get away with just swinging it out at the bottom but you have to be careful that the leading edges by the taillights do not scratch the rear fenders.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I suspect it might be easier to remove the exhaust and get the tips out from behind.
Yep I'd guess dropping the back box would be simpler and less hassle trying to realign bumper, lights, wings and boot when you put the bumper back on

Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM
It can be easier to get to the tips if you remove the exhaust as long as you have access to a lift or a jack with jack stands. However, the exhaust itself is very heavy so you must be careful here too. Getting the assistance of a friend would be advisable. I used a plank of wood (wrapped in a towel to prevent scratches) on top of a couple of floor jacks to support the muffler while I lowered or raised it into position. I had to do this because I was replacing the exhaust by myself.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM
PhoenixRising is on a distinguished road
When I bought my V8V last year it had the Quicksilver exhaust bolted on which I thought was a little too aggressive for my taste. Luckily it also had the stock exhaust when it was delivered.

I was surprised how involved removing the exhaust was compared to other cars I've had, but it was very doable by myself. Once the exhaust was lowered those tips came out with ease.

You'll need to remove both rear wheels and both rear wheel liners in order to get the room you'll need to maneuver the exhaust out of position. There's a very good writeup here. All in all, I'd say it took me about 2 hours to remove the QS and install the stock setup. And no bumpers were removed or damaged in the process.