Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Hood release...all of a sudden will not release hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Hood release...all of a sudden will not release hood

Went to check my oil level Saturday and hood release will not release hood to be opened.

I am assuming the cable may have stretched/slipped in the release. Anyone with any experience with the release mechanism and hoe the cable adjusts?

I have not had time to mess with it do to renovations with my house. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Logannz is on a distinguished road
My Vantage does the same, if you have someone lift the hood gently while you pull the lever is should open. I haven't worked out why it does this yet, my guess is lack of lubrication in the hood catch.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:37 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Yea, I took the radiator cover off and inspected the hood latch. The latch is releasing, but the hood has no upward tension to rise and when the lever is released the latch re-engages.

So this is the same situation as your Vantage. All the other cars I have owned have had either a small amount of upward tension via springs in the latches or via the gas struts that lift the hood (bonnet if you are so inclined). My 2010 XKR had gas struts for the hood and provided the upward tension via the struts.

Karlfranz turned me on to something I did not think about in that the rubber stops the hood sits on, that are situated on the cross bar just over the radiator area, probably need to be adjusted "up" slightly such that the hood has a small amount of upward tension and then will therefore rise a small amount and clear the latch mechanism when the hood release is used. I have not had time to adjust these as yet.

Hopefully that will solve the issue.