Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How To - '09 DB9 Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
How To - '09 DB9 Battery Replacement

Greetings,
Today I replaced the original battery in my 2009 DB9 Volante and figured I'd take pictures and post instructions for future first-time-owners.

Although replacing a battery isn't among the most difficult of things with which we can be faced, I wanted to take some of the uncertainty out of the task for those who've not done one on a DB9.

My car is a US spec (left hand drive) car, so the term "passenger" or "right" side both represent the passenger seat in a US spec vehicle.

1) The battery is under the rear, passenger seat squab
2) Lower the top (if a convertible) and the windows
3) Move or tilt the passenger seat forward
4) Grab the bottom seat squab from the front, and lift up and towards the front seat to remove
Name:  1_zps0b81e340.jpg
Views: 4174
Size:  513.6 KB
(replace next photo with one showing bolts still in place)
Name:  2_zps9fb8ebfd.jpg
Views: 7111
Size:  509.0 KB

5) Remove the lower trim piece by pulling it away from the car. It is held on by hook-and-loop (velcro)
Name:  3_zps06435523.jpg
Views: 4263
Size:  1.71 MB

6) Remove the 10, 8 MM bolts that hold the aluminum panel in place

7) 3 of the bolts are hidden behind that trim
Name:  4_zps0d32d27d.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  675.5 KB

8) Remove the aluminum panel by sliding forward and lifting up, being careful not to damage the surrounding leather
Name:  5_zps68be7f3f.jpg
Views: 6825
Size:  693.9 KB

9) Disconnect the negative strap (13 mm nut)

10) Move the red boot aside and disconnect the positive cable (13 mm nut)
Name:  7_zps2c259036.jpg
Views: 4196
Size:  669.4 KB

11) Remove the 2 battery hold-down bracket bolts (8 mm)
Name:  8_zpsbaee1412.jpg
Views: 6241
Size:  725.9 KB
Name:  9_zps4d2df4ca.jpg
Views: 4422
Size:  791.8 KB

12) Lift up the battery hold-down bracket. Prepare to use foul language as it comes up a very specific way, and then remove the battery
13) This is the hold-down bracket. Note that it is in the "up" position with the gray body tabs threaded through the opening near the bottom of the bracket. Getting the bracket up while snaking those tabs through the slots, using ungloved hands on sharp metal, was "fun".

14) Install new battery, don't forget the vent tube!
15) Press the battery hold-down bracket down into place, and secure with 2 bolts (8 mm)
16) Connect the positive battery cable, and reposition the red boot
17) Connect the negative battery strap
Name:  11_zps62ae5126.jpg
Views: 4189
Size:  643.1 KB

18) Install the aluminum plate and fasten the 10 bolts (8 mm)
19) Install the trim at the bottom of the seat by pressing it in place
20) Install the bottom seat squab by inserting the rear under the trim from step 19 and then pushing into place
21) Start car
22) Execute window upper/lower limit reset procedure
23) Reset clock

I did not lose my radio pre-sets. I've not yet tested the seat memory functions, but will update once I confirm what else may require resetting.

Jeff

Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent write up!

Don't you just love the 'razor' blades that manufacturers install in cars to keep you from goin' back in there? Should wear gloves, but never do...

Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Awesome write-up!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
And be sure to disconnect/connect the battery cables in the order shown in the pictures. Disconnect the Neg cable first when removing battery and connect it last when installing battery. This keeps you from Arcing your wrench to the Aluminum.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Thanks guys.

Yes, the razor-sharp edges are wonderful. What seemed like a slam-dunk battery replacement turned into far too much time wrestling with that evil hold-down bracket. Seems for the money they spent on 5 of the 10 bolts for the battery cover, they could have paid for labor to file the edges of the hold down!

Jeff

Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Excellent post! Added to FAQ

Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 AM
EKing is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Greetings,
Today I replaced the original battery in my 2009 DB9 Volante and figured I'd take pictures and post instructions for future first-time-owners.

Although replacing a battery isn't among the most difficult of things with which we can be faced, I wanted to take some of the uncertainty out of the task for those who've not done one on a DB9.

My car is a US spec (left hand drive) car, so the term "passenger" or "right" side both represent the passenger seat in a US spec vehicle.

1) The battery is under the rear, passenger seat squab
2) Lower the top (if a convertible) and the windows
3) Move or tilt the passenger seat forward
4) Grab the bottom seat squab from the front, and lift up and towards the front seat to remove
Attachment 493371
(replace next photo with one showing bolts still in place)
Attachment 493372

5) Remove the lower trim piece by pulling it away from the car. It is held on by hook-and-loop (velcro)
Attachment 493373

6) Remove the 10, 8 MM bolts that hold the aluminum panel in place

7) 3 of the bolts are hidden behind that trim
Attachment 493374

8) Remove the aluminum panel by sliding forward and lifting up, being careful not to damage the surrounding leather
Attachment 493375

9) Disconnect the negative strap (13 mm nut)

10) Move the red boot aside and disconnect the positive cable (13 mm nut)
Attachment 493376

11) Remove the 2 battery hold-down bracket bolts (8 mm)
Attachment 493377
Attachment 493378

12) Lift up the battery hold-down bracket. Prepare to use foul language as it comes up a very specific way, and then remove the battery
13) This is the hold-down bracket. Note that it is in the "up" position with the gray body tabs threaded through the opening near the bottom of the bracket. Getting the bracket up while snaking those tabs through the slots, using ungloved hands on sharp metal, was "fun".

14) Install new battery, don't forget the vent tube!
15) Press the battery hold-down bracket down into place, and secure with 2 bolts (8 mm)
16) Connect the positive battery cable, and reposition the red boot
17) Connect the negative battery strap
Attachment 493379

18) Install the aluminum plate and fasten the 10 bolts (8 mm)
19) Install the trim at the bottom of the seat by pressing it in place
20) Install the bottom seat squab by inserting the rear under the trim from step 19 and then pushing into place
21) Start car
22) Execute window upper/lower limit reset procedure
23) Reset clock

I did not lose my radio pre-sets. I've not yet tested the seat memory functions, but will update once I confirm what else may require resetting.

Jeff
There is a lot of chat regarding the "yellow" reset button? was this eliminated after the 2006 DB9? I have been replacing my battery on my 2007 DB9 and I still do not have the ability to start the engine? Getting error messages on display? Any ideas?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:16 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Do any of you DB9 owners follow the misfire correction procedure required after replacing the battery or is this procedure only necessary for early DB9s?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gaussianmist
Do any of you DB9 owners follow the misfire correction procedure required after replacing the battery or is this procedure only necessary for early DB9s?
Aren't there any DB9 owners in this forum?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by EKing
There is a lot of chat regarding the "yellow" reset button? was this eliminated after the 2006 DB9? I have been replacing my battery on my 2007 DB9 and I still do not have the ability to start the engine? Getting error messages on display? Any ideas?
I'm afraid I do not know the answer to that question. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Good morning, I can not offer a definitive answer to your query, I can only note that for my 2009 I did not do anything special after replacing my battery. It was just like replacing the battery in a very old car - swap it out and continue to use the car normally. The car passed inspection about 2 months after this battery replacement so it appears there was no issue with my computer as a result of the battery replacement.

This post suggests it should be done
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rrections.html

Last edited by 62Jeff; 01-06-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I have an early DB9 (2006) and I make sure my misfire corrections are stored & redo the procedure when needed.

When I started having a lumpy idle (misfires) I realized the misfire corrections weren't stored. After doing the procedure it recognized many more misfires, which resulted in a new set of coil packs.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
I have a 2007 DB9. I let the battery run down through a foolish error. I needed to jump start the car to get it running again. Fortunately the battery was not fried and charged back up. Needed to reset windows , seats, .....

Then when driving the car aggressively using the paddle shifters, high rev shifts, the car lit up like a Christmas tree. Check engine red, slow down immediately, emission system warning, .....

I got an OBD 2 reader and found I was getting cylinder misfires, cleared the codes, problem re-occurred but different cylinders. Also found that misfire correction flag was not set.

So on an early Sunday morning on an open stretch of road, I performed the Misfire correction procedure. Figured it couldn’t hurt, worst case was it was time to replace spark plugs and cylinder coil packs. Since performing the misfire correction, the engine runs smoother and I haven’t had any error codes.

So so if in doubt, I would do it.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:40 PM
otis74 will become famous soon enoughotis74 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the step by step

I have a 14 Vanquish with a dead battery. Everything looks the same as your car but I am having trouble removing the seat. It lifts up but I cannot pull it out. I am afraid to force it. Was your seat hard to remove? Does anyone know if the Vanquish is different.
Thanks Nick

Old 11-06-2021, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by otis74
I have a 14 Vanquish with a dead battery. Everything looks the same as your car but I am having trouble removing the seat. It lifts up but I cannot pull it out. I am afraid to force it. Was your seat hard to remove? Does anyone know if the Vanquish is different.
Thanks Nick
Hi Nick,
I do not know if the 14 Vanquish and 09 DB9 are similar. Regarding my seat cushion - it came out easily.

This doesn’t appear to add any clarity but here’s a 14 Vanquish Battery thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/438299-14-vanquish-battery.html

Jeff

Last edited by 62Jeff; 11-06-2021 at 09:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How To - '09 DB9 Battery Replacement