Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sportshift Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:56 PM
karpaydm is on a distinguished road
In a wonderful show of faith, my dealer offered me $110k for my $153k two week old car, but only if I traded it in on another purchase. How nice. Guess I am stuck with it.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karpaydm
In a wonderful show of faith, my dealer offered me $110k for my $153k two week old car, but only if I traded it in on another purchase. How nice. Guess I am stuck with it.
So sorry my friend. Unfortunately that dealer would have taken it in for that and then listed it for 150k I bet. I hate dealers, they rip you off on trade, then tell you they cannot go lower on their car because they have too much in it. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I negotiate and the dealer tells me the car I want they put too much into, or had a lot of repairs that ate up their profit.

Drive your new baby, and learn to use the shifter. You will end up liking it just fine. Practice by yourself, and learn to be smooth, and also learn to drive it hard too. Then your wife won't mind it riding with you. then teach her if she wants to drive. Both types of trannys can be rewarding if you learn them. Thats the key.

I would refuse to ever do business with that dealer again. He was the one you said talked you into that car in the first place, less than 1k miles later you hate it, what kind of service is that. I would understand 130 something maybe, but not 40k less. I am mad for you

Old 10-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Curious, what dealer is this?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM
karpaydm is on a distinguished road
Aston Martin of New England

Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Aston Martin of New England
Try Aston Martin of Washington (Tysons Corner, VA). A few of us on the forum use them and they've been great to work with.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, sorry to hear about your dealer trying to shaft you

Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RudyP
So sad to see so many of you guys prefer an automatic (with a substantial amount of shortcomings as far as I can tell) over a manual. I guess it's just the way the world is but it saddens me that you can't buy any Ferraris with a manual, that Porsche's best 911s (turbos and GT3s) are no longer offered with a manual, that Aston seems be on the same path as well. As someone who has never owned or wanted to own a car with fewer than 3 pedals, I guess I'm going to be stuck with my current set of cars for a long time. Makes me want to trade them in on the latest and greatest of that generation (e.g., my 996 turbo -> 997.2 GT3RS, my 2010 V8V to the latest V12V with manual, etc...) and hang on to them forever.

By the way, I'm not trying to berate anyone's individual preference for an automatic - I'm all for letting people have the choice to suit their preferences. I'm just a bit demoralized that the trend seems to be shifting so overwhelmingly towards the automatics that the automakers (even the sports car companies) are removing the choice and standardizing on the autos.
I really prefer manuals myself but the paddle shift in my DB9 is quite good. I looked for almost 8 months and could not find a single manual DB9 in the country, I eventually settled for the paddles. The one thing I do like is there are no expensive clutch replacements to worry about and the car is about 85-90% as fun to drive as a manual when in paddle shifter mode. When you press the "sport" button this thing just makes gear changes so fast and precise its quite an experience when you are in the power band. Don't get me wrong, there are days I long for that third pedal but I'm happy with my purchase. I missed some good cars trying to wait for a manual and decided I wasn't going to let another good one (my car) pass me.

Sorry to hear the dealer is trying to shaft you!

Last edited by dan87951; 10-22-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dan87951
I really prefer manuals myself but the paddle shift in my DB9 is quite good. I looked for almost 8 months and could not find a single manual DB9 in the country, I eventually settled for the paddles. The one thing I do like is there are no expensive clutch replacements to worry about and the car is about 85-90% as fun to drive as a manual when in paddle shifter mode. When you press the "sport" button this thing just makes gear changes so fast and precise its quite an experience when you are in the power band. Don't get me wrong, there are days I long for that third pedal but I'm happy with my purchase. I missed some good cars trying to wait for a manual and decided I wasn't going to let another good one (my car) pass me.

Sorry to hear the dealer is trying to shaft you!
DB9 is a proper automatic, the sportsh*t in the vantage is an antiquated single-clutch, which goes through clutches crazy fast, is notchy, judders when you shift, etc.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Bleen I have done 29k in sportshifts and had no issues with clutches
ASM is fine so long as you understand it, do the learns and treat it with some mechanical sympathy

Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Sounds like the Vanquish I originally wanted but was absolutely disgusted at how it shifted on the test drive. I later found out these cars have lots of reliability problems with the clutches/gear boxes and decided to pass. Even on an episode of Top Gear Clarkson mentions it because they couldn't even get it around there test track for one lap before the Vanquish would break. I would have thought they would have gotten it fixed by now? That's disappointing to know!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Sounds like the Vanquish I originally wanted but was absolutely disgusted at how it shifted on the test drive. I later found out these cars have lots of reliability problems with the clutches/gear boxes and decided to pass. Even on an episode of Top Gear Clarkson mentions it because they couldn't even get it around there test track for one lap before the Vanquish would break. I would have thought they would have gotten it fixed by now? That's disappointing to know!
All issues with my car have been gearbox related, Graziano bits. I have from pretty reliable sources Aston charges ~10x for these parts as they're worth... no wonder.

There's a lot of glossing over the nastiness of this transmission here and on other forums, which makes it very misleading to potential buyers. Similar to karpaydm, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the arcaic, unreliable system. I met other owners with the same feelings. You want to love the car, but the transmission is so bad it's very hard to do so.

My suggestion? If you want an auto, get a DB9.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bleen
My suggestion? If you want an auto, get a DB9.
Isn't that obvious, since an SSM is not an automatic in the first place? It is a manual trans with a better than human shifter. And in that role, it is more than adequate. It does a better job of up and down shifting than I can do rowing gears myself.

Is it as quick and seamless as a DCT? No, but who cares? It is much more involving than a DCT. A DCT is for someone who really does want an automatic but without the TC slur.

My Vanquish shifts perfectly fine and I have no complaints when on the paddles. Automatic mode? Not satisfactory, but I don't care, because it is a manual and I use it that way. IMO, lots of complaints without merit.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:28 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
...learn to be smooth, and also learn to drive it hard too....
I'm embarrassed to say that the year in my previous Vanquish taught me nothing about paddle shifting, which is probably why I was never at ease with it.

But my Vantage SS is a different story, and you nailed it when you said to drive it hard. It becomes a beautiful machine when you accelerate briskly in every gear, shifts become smoother and you feel at one with the car.

The difference for me is treating it as a sports car instead of a cruiser like many other cars I've had.

I live at the top of a large hill road, and the drive down from cold is always jerky and juddery. There's no right gear I can use to make any improvement. But as the V8V warms up on the flat and I can start to use firm acceleration for every gear it becomes another kind of animal. The sweet spot for easy changes seems to be at 3000rpm around town, and every gear change is smooth and effortless at that point.

I still wonder why it's taken me so long to get this far, but the experience was well worth the wait!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Are you getting you Vanquishes confused
The 6 speed auto in the current Vanquish is actually pretty good, the latest one has the renowned 8 speed ZF box everyone is using now

Last edited by mikey k; 10-23-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by mikey k
Are you getting you Vanquishes confused
The 6 speed auto in the current Vanquish is actually pretty good, the latest on has the renowned 8 ZF box everyone is using now
I don't believe so? This was back in 2011 when I test drove one. The model was a 02 or 03 Vanquish that had flappy paddle gear box. I was told it was a computer controlled manual as it didn't have a torque convertor in it. It was quite the train wreck on the test drive and that's putting it nicely...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sportshift Woes