Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage 2 probably dumb niggle questions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:16 PM
fossilfuel is on a distinguished road
Vantage 2 probably dumb niggle questions.....

Hi gang, long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I have a 2011 V8 Vantage Roadster. I live in Texas (HOT!).

2 weird nit-picky questions:

1) When the HVAC is set to blow from the dash (blowing in the face button ONLY pushed and lit)....is there supposed to also be cold air coming out on my feet? I am trying to get as much cool air from the dash as possible. Also, when I stop and pull the glass edu/key....it is ice cold. Is that normal or is the seal between the vents and HVAC housing not sealed???

2) is there a way to get the glove-box lid/flap to close flush/tight/even/level with the dash above? Mine (and many i see on line) sit a little low and un-even (right sits lower than left---un-level when closed).

This is my 3rd V8---my 1st roadster. Every day i drive it, I love it more :-)

Thanks!!!

-mark

Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
HVAC seems to be a bit... um, inconsistent across more than a few members cars. Mine included. There is a control module that handles all the center stack electronics that some have had to replace... Part # 8D33-18C612-AB price $ 895. Hate to recommend a dealer trip, but may be needed.

The glove box lid has a couple screws that if not well aligned when tightened can lead to the lid closing out of alignment. And its also easy to have something too big in that mini-glove box we have .. which tilts the lid. The cabin air filter is down there and perhaps the last tech at AM didn't correctly align the glove box door when cleaning the cabin filters?

just 2cts...

Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks rd1

THANKS RD1,

I have the same heat pulling of the upper dash leather as many others....so i followed the instructions in the Sticky thread above.....looks like i will be able to put the glove box back together with a little better fit than it had once it goes back together.

I also noticed that the sticky backed foam around the dash vents (where they seal to the plenum/duct) was coming off a bit.....this is probably a small part of my cool air loss....i'll get new foam and clan that up when it goes back together.

I am going to change out the Piano Gloss waterfall (too much texas glare and too dusty)....probably re-foam the center vents at that time too.

Anyone have a stock non piano waterfall for sale (6 speed, nag, ECU car?)

THANKS!!!

Love this forum :-)

Old 10-23-2014, 06:06 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Ah yes, the upper dash leather... I also had to make that pilgrimage... Lots of fun right. They should have put some alignment pins on the glovebox hinge to keep the screws out of the alignment equation, but they didn't. Ah well. I have the piano gloss black center stack and keep a dusting rag (like a swiffer) under the drivers seat... so I can dust once a week! Usually to kill time at a red light. I know.. they have OCD drugs if you'd want to stop cleaning the car. Ha,ha... I am sure I look pretty funny to other cars for that 10 seconds!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fossilfuel
THANKS RD1,
I am going to change out the Piano Gloss waterfall (too much texas glare and too dusty)....probably re-foam the center vents at that time too.

Anyone have a stock non piano waterfall for sale (6 speed, nag, ECU car?)

THANKS!!!

Love this forum :-)
A cheap solution that might fix your smudge, dust and glare issue would be to consider covering your existing piano black waterfall fascia in vinyl wrap. There are plenty of finishes available and, as some will attest, some look extremely good. I have had success with the brushed steel finish which looks very realistic.

Here are some of the benefits:
  • it's relatively cheap
  • it can be a DIY project if you are skilled enough
  • you have a choice of colors and finishes
  • there are matte and metal finishes that can reduce glare
  • it protects the piano black finish underneath from scratches
  • you can remove it with no damage, so your car will have a nice (desirable) piano black fascia when it comes time to sell.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks Karl-Franz and RD1,

Karl-Franz, I always enjoy your posts (both of you guys, actually). I am an old lotus guy, too!

RD1, I am also in the dusting-at-stop-lights club. Roadster and pollen in Texas, I get a LOT of dust. People look at me funny all the time (for lots of reasons) so i am used to it :-)

Nothing against wraps, but I am trying to stick with actual "authentic materials" in my car...just a personal preference for this car.

I'll post how my trim tightening and glove-box alignment goes. I dropped my pieces at the leather shop yesterday......they are all away from the shop recovering the leather chairs of the Texas Legislature!!!! I told them to put sharp tacks sticking up in all of them :-)

thanks,

-mark (fossilfuel)