Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stupid to buy an AM Vantage GT 2015? End of the Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:58 PM
niqui is on a distinguished road
Stupid to buy an AM Vantage GT 2015? End of the Vantage

Hi,

I am looking for a new car and come from a modded e92 m3 and panamera/amg type of car history.

I am looking to buy a car in the next week or two and test drove the following:
1. cls 63s 2015: great all around package, but simply too big and you dont feel the speed, despite how crazy it is.

2. 991 s: the pdk version felt a little boring but i wasnt pushing it. the 7mt was fun and felt more alive, but the car was actually being "driven" at that time and had the Sport exhaust. overall, the non-gt3 911's dont feel as special to me, but its a great car and still in contention.

3. Ftype s: did nothing for me

4. M4 2015: was fun and lots of tech toys, nice seats. practical and i wouldnt feel bad doing grunt work in it. seems over priced for 92k canadian and doesnt excite me like the wind up of the v8 m3 - could be the lack of sound and DCT tranny on the test car. I also didnt drive it on great or open roads, so that detracted from it.

3. AM Vantage gt 2015: drove it out of curiosity, always loved them but thought id be underwhelmed by the performance and it is a little flashy for me as a DD (except bad winter days in Canada). Once, i drove it, i loved the whole thing- it felt special and sounded divine. the cabin tech was underwhelming and the Sportshift wasnt my choice. I love the car and am leaning towards ordering it, but am fairly confused about this v the 991s since the AM vantage appears to be discontinued and I heard the GT was a cheaper model just to dump the old chassis in anticipation of the new vantage - when is it coming exactly, i have no idea. I was also told that it will be worth nothing when the new one drops (i plan to keep it for 3-4 years, purchase not lease) - since it will be totally redesigned, new interior, engine layout, architecture, etc. and I would order it to my spec (6 mth wait in canada). I was also told that it isnt mean to do 20k km per year and resale will be hurt and maintenance/clutch may get very costly. i would buy a 6mt in alloro green with gt pack and some options.

Long story short: is the 2015 AM GT a bad buy for someone that plans to do 18-20k miles and the new vantage is around the corner? I.e. just buy a 991 (or any other suggestions?).

I appreciate any and all help

thanks a lot

Last edited by niqui; 10-23-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Coming from an E92 M3 the Vantage was a bit underwhelming in tech. I'm also not really a manual person so I went from the DCT to a Sportshift. Maybe it's closer with manuals on both cars.
I miss all the tech from the M3, the seats, the transmission of course, and that high-reving engine. The power in the Vantage is a lot more accessible and has a bit more torque. Sounds a lot better. I also miss having a drop top.
The size of the Vantage is more to my taste than the M3, which always felt big.
Have you tested the new Cayman?

I wouldn't buy a new Vantage now (I got mine used), unless maybe if it was a barebones GT

Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I can relate to a lot of what you said.

The vantage has more of a cockpit feel - which I also like.
The sound is great. Though my catless m3 sounds pretty vicious as well. Still vantage demolishes it.

I think the sportshift transmission really could destroy the experience of that car unless you learn to like that transmission. And, I'm sure it is even worse when you come from dct or pdk. So I wonder if that really changed your view.

Another point, is that the gt will surely cost me at least 23k less than the new vantage. Does the price savings AM is offering to get rid of the current vantages make up for the fact that it's pretty much a finished car? It's really like a manufacturer rebate of 25k built into the sticker price it seems, the more I think about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I honestly believe if you order this with a manual transmission it will help your resale because of the rarity. I personally haven't driven a Vantage GT but a few reviews I saw speak highly of them. You are also getting a final edition so all the updates and problems should of been resolved by now or you hope anyways.

I haven't heard anything about a replacement Vantage. It was my understanding AM is having some financial trouble and might not have the backing just yet for a new model? Does anyone know?

If it were me it would be a tough choice between the 991 and Vantage GT but would probably go Vantage GT because of the flair it has. Everyone buys a 911 now a days it seems...

Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
I think the vantage feels more special than the 991. I had a 991 C4S cab and I really loved it, it was probably one of the best car I ever had but it did not have that little sparkle of excitement that my vantage roadster had.
The 991 is a better car no doubt but if I were you I'd go for the vantage gt it is just such a fun car to drive and is unbeatable look wise.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:15 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Norman75
I think the vantage feels more special than the 991. I had a 991 C4S cab and I really loved it, it was probably one of the best car I ever had but it did not have that little sparkle of excitement that my vantage roadster had.
The 991 is a better car no doubt but if I were you I'd go for the vantage gt it is just such a fun car to drive and is unbeatable look wise.
If you want a track car probably the 911. If you want to feel like James Bond every day you drive it.... no beating the Vantage. And for the money? Probably the best value out there. Very easy to live with in traffic also. I doubt the next V will be a $100k car. I have been daily driving mine for over a year and no novelty has worn off. Cool and exotic every time I start it. There are dozens of 911s in south FL. Not so with the AM. Get a stick and wind it out to redline a few times... That said, there are many well maintained used Vantages out there... Similar fun, less wampum. For $100k, you can have a used 911 and Vantage...

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 10-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 PM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
It looks (by your sig) like you have a couple of other cars, why would you DD the Vantage? Unless those are former cars in which case I get it.

I love my Vantage but wouldn't really want to DD it. It draws more attention, is harder to see out of and park and isn't the kind of car I feel comfortable just beating on every day. For that mission, I have my E92 M3 and I think they are a good complement. If you must have one car and don't care much about practicality, I think a 991 C2S or late 997.2 GTS might be a good choice. More practical than the Vantage, much less conspicuous, virtually free to maintain, and faster than the Vantage.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I am on my second vantage and was considering buying a third because of the value of the GT. My first was a six speed and I drove it hard 12,000 miles a year, but found the clutch heavy and slightly irritating in traffic every day. My next vantage now has 40,000 miles on it and is a sport shift and they like it very much because if you drive it right you're still heavily involved being interactive with the shifting but without the heavy clutch. I've had many many cars but the Vantage is the only car I have ever had that I don't get bored with. It's a daily driver until it snows.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
If you want a track car probably the 911. If you want to feel like James Bond every day you drive it.... no beating the Vantage. And for the money? Probably the best value out there. Very easy to live with in traffic also. I doubt the next V will be a $100k car. I have been daily driving mine for over a year and no novelty has worn off. Cool and exotic every time I start it. There are dozens of 911s in south FL. Not so with the AM. Get a stick and wind it out to redline a few times... That said, there are many well maintained used Vantages out there... Similar fun, less wampum. For $100k, you can have a used 911 and Vantage...
I won't be tracking this car. I fully appreciate that the V won't be the fastest car, nor will it compare to really any sports car at its 130k price in canada, at least in terms of numbers and tech. But like i mentioned, and all of you confirmed, there is a specialness to the V that the 991 cannot touch for me. Honestly, i don't even think the new GT3 would feel as special as an AM to me, but the performance and tech may just swing it in that case. In Montreal, you also see tons of 911s - I honestly don't think i have seen more than 10 different Ams here in my whole life. But like others have pointed out, sticking out so much is good and bad. I love the body but all the attention for a young guy may not be the best, especially in a small city with few exotics.

I also agree with you on the money point. Will the next V be available nicely loaded sub 130k canadian brand new? I highly doubt it. But then again, its not necessarily a reason to throw 130 k down the trash. I know that I would never buy the outgoing model of any regular german maker, so I wonder if making the exception for the V is a mistake - just because its an exotic, you won't see as many new ones, when will the new V come, how much will a V8S with options cost me compared to the GT, etc...are all thoughts.

Originally Posted by Norman75
That is exactly how i felt the minute the dealer started the GT up for me - it just blew the 911 out of the water...even though, I know its quicker, more tech, more usable, everything.

Originally Posted by RudyP
It looks (by your sig) like you have a couple of other cars, why would you DD the Vantage? Unless those are former cars in which case I get it.

I love my Vantage but wouldn't really want to DD it. It draws more attention, is harder to see out of and park and isn't the kind of car I feel comfortable just beating on every day. For that mission, I have my E92 M3 and I think they are a good complement. If you must have one car and don't care much about practicality, I think a 991 C2S or late 997.2 GTS might be a good choice. More practical than the Vantage, much less conspicuous, virtually free to maintain, and faster than the Vantage.
Sorry, I haven't updated my sig properly... I do have a small SUV or Xdrive family car available to me during the winter, so the AM will likely get stored for the bad 4 months...but if i bought an M4 or 911 it would be out all winter and just stored on the really bad days... this is one downside of it being a "special car" to me, it would feel stupid splashing it through the salt and snow.

In brief, i have similar thoughts to you - do ppl regularly beat on AM's as their daily 20k km, grocery getting, gym going, etc car... and resale implications, clutch/maintenance (my dealer said 1600$ very 16k km). At the same time, the AM would likely have a lower sticker than a loaded 991, so i shouldn't treat it any different-

Long story short, Ideally, I should buy a 4wd car, so that i can use it in the winter without stealing the spare family car and just buy a fun practical year-round car. Regardless, I have failed to find one - Audi does nothing for me..all there is, is the C4s really.

Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I am on my second vantage and was considering buying a third because of the value of the GT. My first was a six speed and I drove it hard 12,000 miles a year, but found the clutch heavy and slightly irritating in traffic every day. My next vantage now has 40,000 miles on it and is a sport shift and they like it very much because if you drive it right you're still heavily involved being interactive with the shifting but without the heavy clutch. I've had many many cars but the Vantage is the only car I have ever had that I don't get bored with. It's a daily driver until it snows.
Thanks for chiming in on the DD aspect of the vantage...like you, the value and total package of the GT really draws me. Honestly, if the GT was priced above the V8S as a special track model, I am sure it would be the one i wanted. I think its more my type of AM...the price just seems to be lucky for me...except for the discontinued aspect that I just learnt about. I assume that the AM 2015 GT has the same tranny - I have heard some great things about it, and others complaining about the weight as well. Unfortunately, driving a manual one seems fairly impossible in MTL. I just don't think the sport shift is for me, though I could learn to use it, i just love my own rowing...

Im happy to hear that you've never bored of it - thats the feeling i get from it. Starting it up in three years will still be exciting. I don't know if a 991 will do that for me...right now it doesn't even, but maybe once i learn to drive it and love it, it will happen?

----------

Thanks again for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:07 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I was about to buy an E92 M3 on European Delivery when I drove a V8V for the first time. I immediately cancelled my plans for the M3 and started shopping around for a V8V. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of a BMW (or even a Hyundai for that matter lol), but it's exceptionally good at being a driver's car that will always feel special and will always hold your eye.

As for the GT vs next generation of Vantage - they'll be two very different cars. The current Vantage has so much feel to it that I highly, highly doubt the next one will compare. I might be pessimistic about it, but I think the AMG-based Vantages are going to lose a lot of their personality. I'm sure they'll look good, but they won't feel the same behind the wheel. So comparing a current GT to a future model... it depends on what you're looking for. Plus the new ones are at least a couple years out, so that's plenty of time to buy now and trade in later if you decide to go that route.

I track my Vantage and drive it several thousand miles a year, too. I've owned it for 3 years and still love it.

Last edited by telum01; 10-24-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Get both 911 and Vantage like me!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM
AJN334 is on a distinguished road
The next generation / platform appears to be years away. It is unclear whether the new powertrain and tech will be fitted to the existing chassis prior to a new chassis.

https://www.6speedonline.com/article...ge-mule-spied/

Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
What about the new Merc AMG GT? Could be a serious contender. I think it's out in around a year... and it looks fantastic.

As far as the Aston's usability, I disagree with Prefurbia, I tried to use it as my DD and it failed so spectacularly I ended up getting a ~100hp electric fiat which I choose every single day instead of the Aston. How's that for usability...
I think Astons are made for people that have other cars to beat up daily.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Why would you not buy a Vantage GT? Good vehicle for the $$$. It seems like every last model year of cars are the best! All the bugs have been worked out, and then they sharpen up the ole AX and its Down the road Motors.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
If you're only planning to keep it three or four years, better off buying a 13 or 14 used at a huge discount. YOu'll take a massive hit in depreciation selling it 3-4 years from now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stupid to buy an AM Vantage GT 2015? End of the Vantage