Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rock to the windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:51 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Rock to the windshield

In the year I've had my V8V, I have unfortunately taken a few rocks to the windshield -- unavoidable it seems if you drive 40 highway miles every day. I've been surprised that I never noticed a blemish. Are the AM windshields stronger than in other cars?

Anyway, last night I caught another one. I noticed later that although there is no spider webbing or obvious crack, the exterior surface feels irregular to the touch. Would it make sense to apply one of the crack-stop compounds to prevent it from expanding? Any other thoughts?

Thx, JR

Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
"Fixed" in a shopping center parking lot

Yes, have it filled. It's not infallible but is virtually invisible and will keep the spider web from growing.

Shortly after my 07's delivery I too had a "rock to windshield" experience. "Damn it, this can't happen, the car is brand new, less than 2,000 miles"...but it did. The chip was filled within a few days.

The "fix" ($30 for an intricate process) lasted for a year. Then the spider returned requiring a new windshield. My insurance included glass coverage, so it paid in full.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:18 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Rock/Chip protection

Shortly after I bought my Vantage V8 I had 3-M clear-bra put across the front and the headlights and had Crystal Fusion applied to the Windshield. In the 28,000+ miles I've put on the car, I've had 2 fairly significant rock hits--one from a passing dump truck. Neither on put a significant crack in the windshield, and I had to do no repairs.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions. JR