Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Windshield Wiper Motor BACKWARDS??

Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 AM
sesheff is on a distinguished road
DB9 Windshield Wiper Motor BACKWARDS??

HELP!

The windshield wiper motor or mechanism on my '05 DB9 with 23K mi, seems to be rotating in the wrong direction (turning wipers downward). This occurred after I had the windshield replaced. I re-installed the windshield wiper arms in their original, parked position then turned the wiper motor on and (rather than sweeping across the windshield) they just pressed downward and stopped. I immediately turned the motor off, removed the wiper arms and took it to the dealer.

The service advisor suggested that the wiper motor unit may either be upside down or backwards! How could that be? They quoted $2700 labor to fix the problem because the engine has to be removed to access the wiper motor.

Unfortunately, I never tested the wipers beforehand and don't have previous owner contact info or history to verify a previous substandard repair BUT I'm having a hard time believing that it's actually BACKWARDS in the car. The wiring looks perfect and the wiper arms were parked correctly before the windshield replacement and I was careful to reinstall them in the exact same, parked position.

Is there anything else I could check? I hate to perform major surgery before getting a 2nd opinion.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

Old 10-25-2014, 06:06 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I wonder if reversing polarity of the connector would take care of the problem? Good luck with it!

Old 10-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Good idea. Thanks! I'm a little nervous about monkeying around with a pristine wire harness but - compared to the alternative ($2700), it's probably the next step in solving this mystery.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
I believe there is a method to have the wipers stop in the proper positioned for lift and removal midway on windshield. I've seen it on a forum, somewhere? Wish I could remember the full sequence involving the selection of the key positioning and pushing which control buttons.

If you didn't use the blade service set-up you might want to find/review procedure with the newly placed blades off. This would allow the motors to go to the proper positing for lift-up and removal and blade replacement.

Hopefully someone here knows instruction or forum they are located. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=07sportspack;4223070]I believe there is a method to have the wipers stop in the proper positioned for lift and removal midway on windshield. I've seen it on a forum, somewhere? Wish I could remember the full sequence involving the selection of the key positioning and pushing which control buttons.
Found it! Its a Vantage- Not sure it works on a DB9.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:53 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Original dash... Press and hold both the 8 and 9 buttons. insert key and turn to first position. Wipers park upright. Remove key.

Next time you insert & turn key the wipers return to normal parked position.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I wish that solved to my dilemma.

Prior to taking it to the dealer, I played around with the YouTube wiper trick which only appears as a shortcut to change wiper blades while the hood's down.

Car's still at the dealer. I may press the service advisor to have an Aston Martin rep VERIFY that the motor assembly is actually "backwards" as it seems absurd.

As for a polarity issue, I wouldn't know where to start as the entire harness looks virginal, i.e. no evidence of funky or aftermarket wiring to be found anywhere.

Stuck.

In the meantime, my wife reassured me that it rarely rains in So Cal..

Thanks so much for your input.