Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2012.25 upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
2012.25 upgrades

Has any driven both the 2012.25+ and the pre 2012.25 v8v can comment on the enhanced steering and braking? I heard the steering is heavier on the newer ones but it is noticeably more responsive? Is the braking that much better?

Is it worth buying the newer ones for this particular upgrades? Can you notice it?

Last edited by lovingit; 03-27-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:56 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I've owned both and done over 12k miles in each
I was sold on the MY12.25 updates the minute I drove one
Much more responsive handling
Push for the later car if you can
ASM2 is also better than ASM1

Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Mikey,

I am looking for manual only.
When you say more responsive handling, do you just mean the steering (steering is heavier right)? Or is the suspension firmer also?

Is the braking noticeably better? 60-0 stop in less feet
I am not tracking, just for daily uses.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The steering rack ratio is different than on earlier cars so it requires less turns of the steering wheel to turn the tires the same amount as before; hence the steering feels sharper and more responsive.

I sincerely doubt you will notice any difference in braking with just road use.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:32 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lovingit
Mikey,

I am looking for manual only.
When you say more responsive handling, do you just mean the steering (steering is heavier right)? Or is the suspension firmer also?

Is the braking noticeably better? 60-0 stop in less feet
I am not tracking, just for daily uses.

Thanks
Manual cars with MY12.25 revisions only recently launched
IIRC the US got 6MT updated cars for MY14 in the SP10

I love the revisions
Steering is a lot quicker and makes turn in much nicer
Suspension is firmer than the old Sport Pack cars but not a firm as the V12V
My brakes are the 2 piece floating rotors which they have since changed to dual cast one piece rotors so I can't really comment on the brakes.
Plus I'm not heavy on the brakes
For me it turned the Vantage in to a true sports car rather than a tourer

Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Manual cars have always been available in the standard V8V. It was only the S that wasn't available in a manual until later, starting with the SP10. Same scenario with the V12V. The S version was not available in a manual until now.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
I actually didn't like the sports pack of the old cars. Prefer the regular suspension. I might be one of the few that do. So I probably won't enjoy the stiff ride of the 2012 models.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by irvineboy
I actually didn't like the sports pack of the old cars. Prefer the regular suspension. I might be one of the few that do. So I probably won't enjoy the stiff ride of the 2012 models.
Stop trying to convince yourself that the pre 2012 is what you want! Just kidding. For the 2012.25s there will be cars with sport suspension and those with comfort. If you want the "plusher" ride then the comfort might be for you.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Is sport suspension even an option in the newer 2012.25 +cars? I heard sport pack went away in 2010 or so. So the newer cars only had one suspension.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 PM
^^^^ Yes. The V8VS and the GT come standard with the sport suspension but can be ordered with comfort suspension as a no-cost option.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Karl,

What about the regular v8v suspension on the pre 2012.25 cars? How do I know if it has standard suspension or sport suspension? Is sport suspension an actual added cost upgrade?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 AM
kaj
kaj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irvineboy
Karl, What about the regular v8v suspension on the pre 2012.25 cars? How do I know if it has standard suspension or sport suspension? Is sport suspension an actual added cost upgrade?
I own a 2012.25 V8V manual with the normal (comfort) suspension. I checked once and you can add the sport suspension for around $9K installed.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kaj
I own a 2012.25 V8V manual with the normal (comfort) suspension. I checked once and you can add the sport suspension for around $9K installed.
Wow that's crazy. It's a ~$1600 option from the factory.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Options are always substantially cheaper when ordering a new vehicle than installed later and not just for Aston Martin but for any marque. But to be clear, the sport package includes the lightweight wheels so I'm not sure the items whose prices are being compared are the same.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Kevin, I have read your numerous threads and posts here and in Pistonheads as well as all your emails. My thought is that you are over-analyzing this way too much. You are not buying a new car, so you are limited to whatever is available in the used market. You say you prefer the styling of the older front and rear bumpers over the newer ones. It's already going to be difficult to find a good example considering that these are limited production, hand-built exotics.

My suggestion to you would be to look through the available pre-2012 cars and find the ones with the choice of interior /exterior colors you like with the choice of transmission you prefer in the body style of your choice. Pick the ones that interest you, test drive them and if you're happy with one, buy it after getting a full Inspection on it.

Remember, there are hundreds of people out there who own cars with sport our comfort suspension, normal or quicker steering and standard or larger brakes and they all love their cars. Find the one that you like and get it bought.

Last edited by karlfranz; 03-29-2015 at 12:39 PM.