Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Question about replacing the nav screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Question about replacing the nav screen

I was sitting in traffic with time to spare and started playing around with my pop up nav unit. With navigation already going on my Iphone i was just mesmerized how useless the factory unit is, yet i wished I had something eye level so I wouldn't look down on my phone when needed to see where I was going. Lets not even suggest Iphone windshield mounts lol

Looking at the screen its about 6" by 1.5" wide, I didn't have a chance to actually measure it, so I got to thinking what if the factory screen is replaced with an appradio unit that fits in its place. I would only want to mirror my iphone to it for navigation reasons, it doesn't need to control the audio as I have Bluetooth for music.

For you guys that are stereo savy, is there a unit thin enough to be installed in place of the factory screen? Has anyone attempted this?

Old 07-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Logannz is on a distinguished road
There was someone here a while back who swapped the screens for a stand alone GPS fitted inside the pop up casing.

I've been thinking for a while that an android tablet of the right size (iPads don't fit) would be good, then you can run anything..

Another possible option would be an apple CarPlay head unit (pioneers, and other make double din units, in some cases with security removable screens) I double din size, with the screen fitted into the pop up, and the unit mounted in place of the cd changer.. That's a tougher project though..

Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
what year and model? you can add a video input to all of them now for the mirroring process...

what phone do you use?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
what year and model? you can add a video input to all of them now for the mirroring process...

what phone do you use?
2009 DBS and iPhone 6.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Logannz
There was someone here a while back who swapped the screens for a stand alone GPS fitted inside the pop up casing.

I've been thinking for a while that an android tablet of the right size (iPads don't fit) would be good, then you can run anything..

Another possible option would be an apple CarPlay head unit (pioneers, and other make double din units, in some cases with security removable screens) I double din size, with the screen fitted into the pop up, and the unit mounted in place of the cd changer.. That's a tougher project though..
Good suggestions!

Old 07-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by anton28
2009 DBS and iPhone 6.
the main issue is the distance from the drivers seat to the screen. obviously any source can be put on the screen but functionality would be an issue. And the factory screen is a bit small.

I personally would do an ipad mini and steering wheel controls to control it. only because I couldn't do a small surface

Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
the main issue is the distance from the drivers seat to the screen. obviously any source can be put on the screen but functionality would be an issue. And the factory screen is a bit small.

I personally would do an ipad mini and steering wheel controls to control it. only because I couldn't do a small surface

Correct! That why I'm looking for an appradio which mimics the iPhone apps on screen and you can control it all from your iPhone in your hand. Or something that can be built to with similar functions.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:21 AM
technically it could be done without utilizing the phone to control it which would be more of a hassle and backasswards. I don't have an ipad mini available anymore so i can't see the size compared to the face of the front of the screen. So here is how i would approach it.

First the video in conversion, from access1 for the video interface to the screen LOCATED HERE then i would use the lightning to HDMI adapter from Apple, with the Crux VCIP5 (Here is the LINK) cable ran between them. This gives you mirroring of what Apple allows you to mirror, unfortunately for you apple dictates this. Now i tried mimics2 and some other stupid interface which I couldn't get to work, but that was a few years ago.

Audio is the aux in port

So, now that is done lets move on to control. unfortunately there is no easy answer to the steering wheel controls so I would remap them while in the aux mode and use a SteerBlue to control it from NavTv (link to it), this would utilize the steering wheel controls to control the features.

option 2 if it were me, and I had the vehicle and a bit of time.

I would take the Alpine ILX007 (LINK) as it is about only $800 and dismantle it to fit in the factory nav screen. sure I would do it stupid so that the factory screen still displays on it as i am pretty ****, and i would use the steerblue to control it.

unfortunately you have an apple product which dictates what you can do.

Option 3

Like option 1 but with an AppleTv

Old 10-03-2015, 06:51 AM
mantonkroh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by anton28
I was sitting in traffic with time to spare and started playing around with my pop up nav unit. With navigation already going on my Iphone i was just mesmerized how useless the factory unit is, yet i wished I had something eye level so I wouldn't look down on my phone when needed to see where I was going. Lets not even suggest Iphone windshield mounts lol

Looking at the screen its about 6" by 1.5" wide, I didn't have a chance to actually measure it, so I got to thinking what if the factory screen is replaced with an appradio unit that fits in its place. I would only want to mirror my iphone to it for navigation reasons, it doesn't need to control the audio as I have Bluetooth for music.

For you guys that are stereo savy, is there a unit thin enough to be installed in place of the factory screen? Has anyone attempted this?
Anton28: What did you end up doing? I am not sure about replacing the nav screen on the stock OEM as it wouldn't be ideal for the touchscreen capabilities. Who knows, maybe I just have short arms. I'm looking at the Alpine upgrade but looks like it would have to be custom. Did you move forward with the Apple CarPlay?

Old 10-07-2015, 01:31 AM
00aston is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mantonkroh
Anton28: What did you end up doing? I am not sure about replacing the nav screen on the stock OEM as it wouldn't be ideal for the touchscreen capabilities. Who knows, maybe I just have short arms. I'm looking at the Alpine upgrade but looks like it would have to be custom. Did you move forward with the Apple CarPlay?
I'm wondering the same