Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

06 DB9 starter button inop????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 PM
airbusdrvr is on a distinguished road
06 DB9 starter button inop????

Searched the forums but couldn't find anything exact to my situation. 06 DB9 (3 pedal) 10k miles, newer battery.

Drove car yesterday. Noticed when I went to start it, I had to press the start button twice. Thought I just didn't push it hard enough. Started no prob. Also started it again a few times that day. No probs.

Decided to go for a drive tonight. Key in ignition...wait for system check...no faults or warnings...hit start button and nothing!!!! The light by the passenger footwell dims/turns off when starter button is pushed. All lights, radio, door window regulator, headlights and seats all work. Usually use Aston battery maintainer. Left it off for one day.

Never hit bat disconnect. Checked push button over battery just in case. Replaced starter solenoid fuse (although it looked ok), checked starter button fuse (looks OK, didn't have one of those small fuses on hand). I'd say battery is good but haven't officially checked it.

Visually checked wires by clutch switch. All looks OK there.

Once system check is complete, the remaining lights on are: the oil pressure light (normal), and the steady yellow engine light (I think that's normal cause it isn't running yet).

FYI The starter button lights up white, not red. Isn't it supposed to be red when starting is avail?

1. Bad starter button?
2. Bad battery??Enough battery juice to run accessories but ECU doesn't recognize it as enough to activate starter?
3. Bad starter?
4. Bad clutch switch?

Any other ideas?

Never had a low battery warning.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Bad or disconnected clutch switch would be my guess.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:08 AM
airbusdrvr is on a distinguished road
Hi all
Forgot to post what the dealer found regarding my inop start button. After a few hours of searching, the technician found a broken wire on one of the clutch pedal "plunger" type switches. The broken wire was covered by a sleeve. The way the wires for that switch were mounted caused the wire bundle to be pressed up against the firewall every time the pedal was pushed. Bad design!
Since sticks are relatively rare, I guess that's why this hasn't sparked a service bulletin.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:43 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Same thing happened to my 05 DB9. I rerouted the wires a little bit as it seemed like the action of depressing and releasing the clutch pedal caused the wires to fray and connection to loosen over time. No problem at all since I fixed it though..