Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Another question on Telum01 catch can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Another question on Telum01 catch can

I purchased a 2007 Vantage V8 manual two weeks ago with 3769 miles on it. In reading through the older posts. I have been impressed with Telum01’s oil catch can solution.
I have a theory, that some (or most) of the timing cover gasket failures are due to the PCV system not working at 100 percent efficiency especially at high RPM’s. Any undue pressure in the crankcase will cause gaskets to leak, especially one that is not sealed properly to begin with. I had this problem with my 1978 XJ-S V-12 and designed a custom engine air/oil separator that deleted the PCV valve to create a slight negative pressure in the crankcase.
http://bernardembden.com/xjs/pcvfilter/index.htm
Telum01 solution improves the air oil separation and I am thinking of adding this modification.
In addition I would like to apply a small negative (instead of positive) air pressure to the crankcase without removing the PCV valve. The problem is that a quick look under the hood and I am not at all sure how the PCV pluming works, essentially the AOS, PCV and the inlets from each valve cover. The hose to the PCV assembly seems to end there? It also does not look like a traditional valve but a round plastic thing?
Can someone provide me with a diagram, identifying each part and preferably with the air flow from the various engine locations to the intake manifold?

Thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the kind words! Just a quick note - I've got one brushed stainless can left and I'm all out of wrinkle black. I'm having more kits made, should be ready within the next two weeks or so.

I'm not sure if the timing cover gasket issue will be addressed by the catch can. That problem was resolved by redesigning the gasket. The gasket job is a bit pricy because of the labor involved, even though the gasket itself is fairly cheap. But once replaced, the new gasket won't have any issues. The issue was common '06-07.

I believe the valve in the PCV is a check valve - round disk that pressure can push one way, but applying pressure the other way seals it. I could be wrong, as I've never taken one apart (although I'd be happy to if I had a spare).

Here's the parts diagram. It's a mess, so I'd suggest printing it off so you can see the part pics and their names, then pop your hood and make sense of it while looking at your engine bay.

https://www.astonmartintechinfo.com/...issionCont.asp

Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01
Thanks for the kind words! Just a quick note - I've got one brushed stainless can left and I'm all out of wrinkle black. I'm having more kits made, should be ready within the next two weeks or so.

I'm not sure if the timing cover gasket issue will be addressed by the catch can.
I believe the valve in the PCV is a check valve - round disk that pressure can push one way, but applying pressure the other way seals it. I could be wrong, as I've never taken one apart (although I'd be happy to if I had a spare).

Here's the parts diagram. It's a mess, so I'd suggest printing it off so you can see the part pics and their names,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I agree, the catch can will not address the pressure in the crankcase, my hope is to understand the PCV system, especially the round PVC assembly, and then see if I can design something that creates a small negative pressure in the crankcase.

Thanks again

Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I might be thinking of something different, but I think the issue is the dry sump system. There was a discussion on PH a long time ago about the V8V's dry sump being less than ideal. If I remember correctly: The dry sump creates a bit of a drag on the engine, robbing something like 20 hp. The engineers couldn't get it sorted out. It's one of the reasons why the V8V originally had only 380 hp (when it should be able to put out a bit more).

Anyway, point being that you're fighting an uphill battle there, and doing it against a dry sump oil system, so keep that in mind.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Took a quick look at the diagram. This car has an EGR valve?? I thought these were no longer used (smile)