Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Car ran fine now battery at 7 volts overnight?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:34 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Car ran fine now battery at 7 volts overnight?

I put in a new battery a few months ago in my V8V (miserable job).. and today car would click but not turn over. My aftermarket TPMS shows voltage and says about 7Volts... Car is driven daily and was fine yesterday... Is there anything in the car that could drain a battery overnight... didn't leave the lights on or anything (not sure you can even do that)... Or is the battery defective?

Old 08-20-2016, 04:56 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Defective battery or..... could be a loose connection not allowing proper charging. I'm in FL too. The summer heat here combined with the extensive use of A/C can kill a battery. It might be worth checking connections and voltage directly at the battery post prior to removal. My last battery was 15 months old (2 summers) and began to seem weak. It had a 60 mo warranty - exchanged! As we all know Aston's hate anything less than a well preforming battery.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:01 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Connections were good, and no corrosion, but thanks for the input.

'Batteries plus Bulbs' warranty'd the battery (2mo old) without a hassle. Its a Duracell equivalent. They 'could' have spent a day trying to charge it, but decided to save us both the run around. Very happy about that.

I will admit I am getting better at changing the battery! Still miserable but half the time this time. June was 1st now Mid Aug... two hottest months to work on the car!

We shall see. Volts read fine now... I am seeing 14v when the car is running ... not sure the digital meter in my TPMS is calibrated... I don't want to 'overcharge' the battery, but 14 seems normal. I'll check with my mechanic on Monday.

Keep you posted if anything new comes up.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
Should be 13.8 to 14 with the alternator running. A fully charged battery is 12.8. Half charge is about 12.2.
In hot climates like FL batteries that can have water added will need it during the summer.
If you pull the caps off and can see the plates the battery is dry and this will accelerate aging. Always add distilled water to lead acid batteries..

Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input on voltages... typically I'd agree on the rest, but this battery is sealed. And it lives in the car with air conditioning.. so sees only a fraction of the heat abuse a battery in the engine bay would. And was only 2.5 months in use. Hopefully... It was just a bum battery. New one is a newer vintage... Store clerk admitted the first one I had was sitting around almost past its shelf limit. So ask about that too in the future!

I also like it when cars 'like' me... it chose to go dead in my garage. Was running and parked the night before.. so wasn't like I left it in there long at all. Better than other options!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'd say it was either a bad battery or something was left on overnight. Good to hear it was a hassle-free replacement, though.