Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Pre-Owned V8V Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 AM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Hi All -- another trivial question. I've expanded my search to include new cars with slightly higher mileage (in the 20k mi range). Some of the car I am looking at show wear on the final inspection tag under the hood. See the attached picture as an example. How does something like this happen? I would think the inspection tag is pretty well protected under the bonnet.

Also -- one car I am interested in is missing the Vantage emblem on the boot. There is no history of an accident, and I find it hard to believe someone would de-badge the car. My first through is there has been a respray.

Again -- I know it's impossible to determine anything without seeing in person. Just looking for opinions.

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2017, 09:49 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Vantage emblem delete is a free option from the factory. Most like to remove them so people don't know the model and ask, or just like the exterior clean.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The comment like, 'some people don't mind it' I'd like to replace with some people actually love it! Yes, it's not smooth and perfect, but you are almost as involved with the manual tranny if you use it right as prescribed by Aston Martin (working the gas as if you had a clutch) and raw enough to be incredibly enjoyable. I had a manual and then a 2009 with a sportShift, and would not go back to a manual and held up till I found the right color 2015 GT with sportshift. I hope the next generation Aston is just as involving without a clutch to manipulate in day to day traffic.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Vantage emblem delete is a free option from the factory. Most like to remove them so people don't know the model and ask, or just like the exterior clean.
Thanks for that info. I had no idea that was an option!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:06 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I would recommend getting the build sheet for any car you're serious about, in addition to a carfax report and its service history of course.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
The comment like, 'some people don't mind it' I'd like to replace with some people actually love it! Yes, it's not smooth and perfect, but you are almost as involved with the manual tranny if you use it right as prescribed by Aston Martin (working the gas as if you had a clutch) and raw enough to be incredibly enjoyable. I had a manual and then a 2009 with a sportShift.
I appreciate your feedback about your Sportshift experience. I have been reading a lot about the Sportshift and how to drive it and am convinced it will be the right choice for me.

The only real risk is not knowing how it was treated by a previous owner -- which is impossible. I know an AM dealer can check the wear but that's tough to do when buying used from a non-AM dealer or from some place that is not near an AM dealer.

Aside from the lack of crawl, the extra gear and no cooling in ASMII, are there any major drivability differences between the two? I have seen comments that there really isn't any big difference.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I would recommend getting the build sheet for any car you're serious about, in addition to a carfax report and its service history of course.
I have been pulling reports on the cars I am looking at. Some have very interesting histories.

Where can I get the build sheets from?

Randy

Old 01-29-2017, 01:20 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
am.com / contact, they let me get about 10 before they politely declined to give me anymore and told me to use my local dealer. So be serious about the car before asking for it. They'll get back to you usually within 48 hours.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
am.com / contact, they let me get about 10 before they politely declined to give me anymore and told me to use my local dealer. So be serious about the car before asking for it. They'll get back to you usually within 48 hours.
Perfect. Thanks for the tip. I figured my dealer could pull them but wasn't sure how open they would be doing that if I wasn't buying the car from them.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The only differences between my 2009 Sporthsift and the 2015 is there is a notification the 'kiss procedure' is complete, hill assist, and 1 more speed. The 'feel' I thought of the 2009 was better and like shifting from reverse to first for some reason takes a lot slower in my 15 than the 2009, perhaps it has something to do with the reverse camera. That's slightly irritating knowing the 2009 was instant.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
The only differences between my 2009 Sporthsift and the 2015 is there is a notification the 'kiss procedure' is complete, hill assist, and 1 more speed. The 'feel' I thought of the 2009 was better and like shifting from reverse to first for some reason takes a lot slower in my 15 than the 2009, perhaps it has something to do with the reverse camera. That's slightly irritating knowing the 2009 was instant.
Thanks. Did you notice any real difference when starting from a standing stop in stop & go traffic between the SSI with crawl and the SSII without crawl? I don't plan on spending a lot of time in traffic but am curious if you noticed anything.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Here's another odd one: on the Carfax for one of the cars I am reaching, two of the service events (6k and 10k) list "Instrument cluster checked." These were checks done at a non-AM dealer. I've never come across this comment in other Carfax listings so it seems unusual to me. Sorry to sound like such a noob but I am really being overly **** about this purchase.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Just so you know, you can call an AM dealership's service department and ask them about the car. When I was curious about a Carfax service history entry on a car I was looking at, they were able to give me more information about it.

With that said, it could've been routine for that shop to check the instrument cluster (if they had experience with an issue they were looking for), or the customer could've reported noticing something and asked the shop to look into it (which could just be a paranoid owner).

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RandyV
Hi All -- another trivial question. I've expanded my search to include new cars with slightly higher mileage (in the 20k mi range). Some of the car I am looking at show wear on the final inspection tag under the hood. See the attached picture as an example. How does something like this happen? I would think the inspection tag is pretty well protected under the bonnet.

Also -- one car I am interested in is missing the Vantage emblem on the boot. There is no history of an accident, and I find it hard to believe someone would de-badge the car. My first through is there has been a respray.

Again -- I know it's impossible to determine anything without seeing in person. Just looking for opinions.
I removed my vantage badge, if it did not have indents I would remove the back and front wings as well , I like a clean look I know what it is and am not interested if some stranger has no clue.
Also the Aston wings are a easy target for vandals and they could damage the body when or if stealing them so my choice is no badge
Just drive it like a bad ***

Old 01-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know what color this is? Listing says Hardly Green but it looks way too dark and more teal to me...

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.