Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Code 1233 and Fuel Pump Driver Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Pigdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Code 1233 and Fuel Pump Driver Module

I have a 2005 DB9 and this morning I started the car and it ran fine, I left to grab some coffee and when I came back the car was running rough and I had mutiple error messages "fail safe engine mode, Traction control temp off, Engine system service urgent DSC service required"

Grabbed the code reader and came back with P1233 no communication with the Fuel Pump Driver Module.

Apparently there are two of these modules. Would replacing these modules fix the issues or should I put it on the flatbed and send it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Any body know where the fuel pump modules are located in the car??

Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Pigdog
Any body know where the fuel pump modules are located in the car??

See this document:

https://aston1936.files.wordpress.co...issue-2004.pdf

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-14-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by messar
One further thought - this document is for a DB9 (with 2 modules, and 2 what appears to be 2 separate engine controllers). Is a vantage configured the same way?
If your question is does the V8V use a FPM in a similar location - then yes - but - we only have one fuel pump. The right side setup of the DB9 is the same as our setup for the car I believe.

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-14-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Thanks found them. I tried swapping them and the modules appear good. Now I still have the problem.

I have 12v to both modules and ground, both pumps show 4 Ohms. The left side has no fuel. and I continue to get the 1233 code.

Any suggestions?

Pigdog

Old 01-14-2017, 11:53 AM
I assume you tried the procedure outlined on page 2-219? Did you swap the FPM connectors to see if the problem followed the switch?

Edit - I was just typing as your message appeared - give me a couple of mins to take a look at the docs.

Did you clear the codes and test with Key On Engine Running. (KOER) Also if you have it use a little electrical contact spray on the harnesses and connections.

Ok so what I've read suggests that wiring continuity might be the issue if the FPDM's check ok - which you say they do.

When you turn the Key On Engine Off do you hear the fuel pumps energise? I wonder if a fuel pump is not working or getting voltage?

This Ford loop back system communicates both ways - you might have to check the harness wiring from the FPDM's to the PCM - the SP suggests a continuity test of the wiring. It also wouldn't hurt to check the fuses & relays in the trunk and cabin.

I don't have the wiring diagrams for the DB9 but here's the locations for the V8V - I believe they are very similar if not the same.

Cabin fuse box:

Fuel pump relay for the V8V is Relay 15 in the Central Electronics Module (CEM)
Fuse 74 is also used in the CEM.

In the trunk the following is used:
Relay #2 Fuel Pump
Fuse #9 FPDM

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-14-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Problem is on the left FPM side. I tested the pins on both sides and got 12v and ground I also got an 11v signal from the PCM. I am assuming the fuses and relays are good since I got 12v to the harness. I am thinking the only thing left is the left side fuel pump.

The only difference I can find so far is when I was testing from the FPM plug I got .3 volt back from the fuel pump motor circuit on the right side and only .1 volt from the left side what ever that means.

I just dont want to buy a pump if it is something else.

Apparently the FPM will allow a pump to operate if it is not communicating with the PCM as I read in another thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:39 PM
thank you for your help

Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 PM
I hear you. It can be frustrating buying unnecessary parts. Are you able to monitor the fuel pumps with ignition on - they should be whirring at ignition. Wish I could offer more - I'm still learning about this car as I take it apart. There also seems to be a lack of info available online but that is likely due to the fact that I think most owners seem to take their cars into dealers to get services and there is comparatively very few AM owners that DIY, and even less that document their experiences.

I'll assume you read the info in the other thread with a similar issue?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4396141

and this one:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ia-switch.html

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-14-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Yes.
I can plug and unplug the two FPM connectors to test the individual pumps upon startup (or turning on the key) I cant hear either one so I need to get some help to listen closely while someone turns the key. I have checked all fuses and their circuits and they seem to be working. The FPM is getting a signal from the PCM so......bad pump?
I really cant get a resistance reading from either pump from the FPM plug. I dont know how to get any closer to the pumps to check for resistance. Obviously one pump is working because it runs on the right six cylinders. I guess when a fuel pump goes bad this is the code you get. The way the circuit is laid out you would think the PCM would report a bad pump not a bad pump module because it would detect the change in resistance in the pump motor.

I think I will find someone to fix it for me because I am not prepared to work with a fuel tank

Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Your diagnosis was thorough. Perhaps Irish07 will chime in soon - he's probably seen this error more than most working on them regularly. It may well be a bad fuel pump. It may also be something simple that only familiarity with this vehicle would allow you to recognize.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:06 PM
That would be wonderful. I have seen his posts on other items and he is quite thorough. Tomorrow I will see if I can listen to the pumps. With only 6 cylinders running and the other side only moving air sounds like only one pump is running

The nearest dealer is 200 miles away but we have some good local AM repair shops if I cant get it figured out by tuesday. I am sure the repair will be north of 2500.00.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 PM
I haven't gotten round to working on the fuel system yet. I did confirm that the same pump and modules are used in the DB9 and Vantage (at least for my model year). What had me confused was you have 2 pumps and my Vantage has only one. On DB9 & DBS we share your right side fuel pump to fit your cars after vin ending 10560 - starting model year 2008 - coupe or Volante. On V8 vantage it is the ONLY pump, all years and versions. On other models it is the right pump and fits all years and versions. The Left side fuel pump on your DB9 has different versions pre and post MY2008. Thanks AM Bits for that info.

From what I can tell the Fuel Pump Modules are VDO Siemens made for Ford Motor Company (FoMoCo) and used on certain Jaguar as well as Range Rover (LR4 & Evoque) vehicles. The Aston Part number 7H42-9D372-AA is interchangeable with RR #A2C53185119.

I haven't delved into the fuel pump. I would hope that it is also a Siemens VDO part and would be curious to see a pic of one with the label (right side) so I could identify what other vehicles it came from or is used.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
How many miles on your DB?

According to the service manual, if it is a bad pump, the RR for coupes is to remove the tank to get to the pumps, convertibles you can access the pumps by going through cabin to the tank. Manual also says you need a special tool to remove the pumps, as you have to turn the pump to get it to release.

If you PM me you email address, I send you the manual, it is not the most descriptive manual, but it is better than nothing.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 AM
Thanks for that. I have the manual and just read through it. Looks like a blind operation for most of the work in the tank. If this is the problem I will certainly replace both.

My car is a 2005 with about 22k on it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.