Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mums the word

Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Mums the word

Was looking at getting some driving shoes. Yes, I know I've only tracked my car once. Don't have a third pedal. Blah blah blah. But sometimes you gotta say WTF. Found some and ....... Don't know if you're all aware of the tactic of putting something in your virtual 'basket', filling out shipping and such, then leaving the site for a few days. More often than not you'll get an email with an offer of a reduced price to complete the sale. And well, sharing is caring, so information below if you're so inclined.

Don't think I can name the site, but if you Google - ("Heritage" Gulf Racing Casual Driving Shoes) you'll find it. I would guess the discount code will work towards other models of shoes as well if the Heritage isn't your style.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Were you able to track down the lean condition?

chr

Old 01-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by era2076
Were you able to track down the lean condition?
The fault pops up about every other time I take the car out. Thanks to RedPants video on cloth vs paper filters I'm going to order some paper ones to swap for my current and see if that solves it.

Thinking of it as voltage vs amperage. From my basic knowledge of fluid dynamics, water, air, it's all the same. So perhaps the oiled filters allow more 'voltage' and the papers more 'amps'. would be interesting to get a cloth and paper filter of the same rating and open them up and measure the actual surface area of the material.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I can cut open the ones I used in the video. I meant to do that already but a new puppy has been keeping me on a short leash lol

Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Redpants
I can cut open the ones I used in the video. I meant to do that already but a new puppy has been keeping me on a short leash lol
That would be great. Does my voltage vs amps make sense?
P(W) = I(A) × V(V)
Thinking I'd be getting the same volume coming through with paper but not as fast?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Does not make sense to me with respect to this problem. The motor decides how much air it needs. Did you check all of the down stream connections that could possible leak air past the MAF sensor? What about the sensor?

chr

Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Short version: The OEM filter medium is 18.5' long. The aftermarket one is 7' long.

Long version with pics and whatnot: http://www.redpants.lol/blog/2017/1/...-least-for-now

Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Short version: The OEM filter medium is 18.5' long. The aftermarket one is 7' long.

Long version with pics and whatnot: http://www.redpants.lol/blog/2017/1/...-least-for-now
Will be switching to a paper element next weekend. Expecting fault to go away.

Excellent blog post.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Chuck Leeper with permission from K&N
Introduction Below is a series of formulas to determine air filter size for a given air flow capacity. Chuck was trouble shooting a problem when he found that air flow he needed was more than his 9" filter could provide. K&N shared this information with him to help trouble shoot his problem. Formulas
  1. Square inches of filter required for a motor = CID x Maximum RPM / 20839

2. CFM required for a 4 stroke motor = CID x Maximum RPM / 3456

3. CFM required for a 2 stroke motor = CID x Maximum RPM / 1728

4. CFM required for a turbocharged or supercharged motor = Pounds of Boost / 14.7

Add 1.0 to this answer. This relates to #2 and #3

Example: (CID x maximum RPM x #4 ) / 3456 or 1728

5. To find circumference of a circle multiply diameter by 3.1416

6. To find diameter of a circle multiply circumference by .31831
CFM Formulas for Filters

• Round: Diameter x Height x 6 x 3.14
  • Flat Panel: Length x Width x 6
  • Universal Round Taper: (Base + Top) / 2 = A
    Take A x Length x 6 x 3.14
  • Universal Round Straight: Diameter x Length x 6 x 3.14

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/airfilter.html
- chr

Old 01-22-2017, 11:33 PM
So from 1 above

262ci * 7000 / 20839 = 88 in^2

From after market above

7L x 6H = 42 sq^2 x 2 filters = 84 in^2 (assumes cylindrical)

chr

Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 PM
Banned
I've got a 7700 RPM redline so I would need 97 in^2, which is even more demanding.

But looking at the two filters, how do you account for the actual filter surface area in those equations? Plus it doesn't account for the type of filter media being used. Maybe I missed it... it's almost 2am right now.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:00 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
I've got a 7700 RPM redline so I would need 97 in^2, which is even more demanding.

But looking at the two filters, how do you account for the actual filter surface area in those equations? Plus it doesn't account for the type of filter media being used. Maybe I missed it... it's almost 2am right now.
They're K&N formulas, assuming K&N filter media. (As for the filter surface area, that's just geometry. Round filters, like ours, are pi*d*h.) I assume the "20839" denominator is specific to K&N filters, even (though other cloth filters should have similar flow characteristics, per square inch).

You'd need far more paper filter surface area to flow the equivalent of the cloth filters... that's why there are power gains with the cloth filters (I saw your video, I know your stance on paper vs. cloth, though I don't agree with your conclusions, particularly on the risks both filter oil and water permeation).

However, note that the Vantage has two filters, effectively doubling the filter surface area. Their formulas address total surface area necessary for an engine.

Last edited by Mathman85; 01-26-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up! Main point of confusion was aligning the formulas to two completely different filter media and completely different media surface area (due to the extra folds). The math just didn't add up in my sleep-deprived brain without accounting for all the missing variables.

I know a lot of people disagree with me on filters, and a lot of people do agree. Everyone's had different experiences with air filters, and my experience includes seeing the MAF sensors get fouled on my V8V after using oiled filters and seeing a friend hydrolock his engine (crappy car, way back in the day, but it was caused by water being sucked up through a cold-air intake with a cloth filter).

I'm not completely against aftermarket filters. I use them on my 4Runner and I've used them on a few other cars I've had in the past. I'm looking at a couple options for my Aston in the near future, too. But even with aftermarket filters, I stick with the dry ones.

Man, we are waaaayyy off from the original post about driving shoes lol

Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Man, we are waaaayyy off from the original post about driving shoes lol
When mine arrive tomorrow (according to UPS), I'll get us back on track.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:23 PM
My curiosity got the best of me, and then I couldn't resist when I saw they had my colors.

They're quite comfortable. I've removed the number badges, but am tempted to put them back with a "95" sticker. They come with additional laces (green, with these) and in-soles, and a collection of historical Lotus racing number stickers.

Definitely heed their warning about sizing. I actually did a full size down, because their sizes (in cm) were that much larger than standard shoe sizing.

And if you Google "Hunziker promo code" (I assume stating the brand name isn't against any rules) you'll find a Porsche site with a discount code (that does slightly better than covering shipping).

+1 for finding these!

Last edited by Mathman85; 01-27-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.