Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Performance air filters + noise

Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by R32sSayBwaaa
Yeah I didn't snap anything. And I didn't try accelerating, I was just driving (through a crazy South Carolina rain storm) and all of a sudden it fell on its face. no puddles, so it wasn't like I immediately thought I locked it up, but the second time it did it a few months later (in heavy rain, again) I realized what had definitely caused it.

oh well. live and learn, I was young and relatively new to cars back then. thankfully nothing drastic/expensive happened.
As @Mathman85 stated, you likely weren't close to hydrolock, but I think I can tell you why the car ran so poorly.

I believe the R32 has MAF sensor driven fueling. MAF sensors are technically known as hot wire anemometers. They work using a measurement of air's ability to remove varying amounts of heat with corresponding changes in airflow rate.

They do this by running a set amount of current through a thin wire and measuring the voltage drop across the wire (or setting voltage and measuring current). The measurement indicates the resistance of the wire. The resistance of the wire is dependent the temperature of the wire. This (and the air temperature) tells how much air is flowing across the wire, thus telling the ECU how much air is entering the engine and how much fuel should be injected.

Water is 20 times more effective at removing heat than air, so if there was water in the airstream entering the intake and running over the MAF, the ECU would see it as very, very fast airflow and overfuel the engine, which would make it run poorly as you describe.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
I would add a partial frontal shroud - air would fill behind.

chr

Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 AM
R32sSayBwaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blue2000s
As @Mathman85 stated, you likely weren't close to hydrolock, but I think I can tell you why the car ran so poorly.

I believe the R32 has MAF sensor driven fueling. MAF sensors are technically known as hot wire anemometers. They work using a measurement of air's ability to remove varying amounts of heat with corresponding changes in airflow rate.

They do this by running a set amount of current through a thin wire and measuring the voltage drop across the wire (or setting voltage and measuring current). The measurement indicates the resistance of the wire. The resistance of the wire is dependent the temperature of the wire. This (and the air temperature) tells how much air is flowing across the wire, thus telling the ECU how much air is entering the engine and how much fuel should be injected.

Water is 20 times more effective at removing heat than air, so if there was water in the airstream entering the intake and running over the MAF, the ECU would see it as very, very fast airflow and overfuel the engine, which would make it run poorly as you describe.

Very possible, never thought of it that way. Like I said, I was just a baby back then, but I completely understand the theory and math behind what you're talking about, coming from a nuclear power background. Pretty much nothing but thermo- and fluid dynamics.

Originally Posted by era2076
I would add a partial frontal shroud - air would fill behind.

chr

Sold the car years ago, and just moved it up into the engine bay when I installed a SRI manifold.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.