Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Manual vs Sportshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I found that pre-09 there were plenty of manuals, not so much post 09, good luck finding a manual DB9 that isn't ridiculously overpriced, the auto in that car is very good though compared to the sportshift found in the vantage, much more traditional

Old 02-19-2017, 04:36 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Matt Farah talks about his manual transmission Vanquish

http://petrolicious.com/matt-farah-t...ual-vanquishes

Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Matt Farah talks about his manual transmission Vanquish

http://petrolicious.com/matt-farah-t...ual-vanquishes
Cool article, thanks for the link.
Ron

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM
nickplee is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently bought a 2009 SportShift Vantage. During my search, I only came across one manual car within 250 miles of NYC and it was a 2006 coupe. There was a 2009 manual roadster at O'Gara in LA, but I ended up finding my car before flying out there.

I like the ASM transmission. As long as you understand what it is (a 6-speed manual with a robot shifting for you) and what it isn't (an automatic with a torque converter and planetary gearsets) it can be a lot of fun to drive. Never put it in "D", always do the learns, lift off the throttle when shifting, etc.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Bumping an old thread instead of creating another new one.

I’m in the market for an 06-09 V8 Vantage and I’m still undecided which way to go. I’ve owned 4 manual sports cars and 2 paddle ZF auto transmissions and both have their benefits. I recently test drove both a 2007 4.3 manual and a 2009 4.7 sportshift over the weekend and I’m still torn between the two. Manual seems like the way to go on the V8V but the sportshift was more aggressive then I thought it was going to be. I’m not sure if I love or hate the hard (but delayed) shifts on full acceleration. I also have been trying to do more research to REALLY understand the differences between the 06-08 4.3 and the 09+ 4.7 engines. Any major differences in reliability between the two engines and two transmissions?

Any input appreciated! I know this topic has been beat to death and I’ll continue spending hours doing research.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:29 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
The 4.7 has more adequate HP and Torque but you can bring any 4.3 to be more like a 4.7 with headers+200 Cell Cats+tunes from VelocityAP… Then again if you start with a 4.7 you can build more HP and Torque with same hardware. From what I have read, both engine are very reliable and build on the same platform just different parts to increase displacement and power. As for Transmission, I chose a 6sp Manual after test driving a sportshift as I didn't like the way it shifted but that is a preference some people here love their sportshift. You need to learn how to drive them so you don't wear your clutch prematurely. Remember that the 09 and 10.5 are different than the 10.5 to later, the latter has the catalytic converter in the headers vs after the headers. Good luck in your search

Old 09-03-2018, 03:52 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Thank you for the input!

Old 09-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 2009 with the sportshift. I tried to like it but just couldn’t. I now have a 2008 with a proper manual and love it. My 09 had the 4.7 it was stock and never gave me any problems. My 08 has the 4.3 and has been modified and makes more power than the 4.7 and has never given me any problems. These cars are very well built and don’t have the problems that other exotic cars have. Either way find what best suites you and you should have a lot of fun miles ahead of you.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:16 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FR500GT
Bumping an old thread instead of creating another new one.

I’m in the market for an 06-09 V8 Vantage and I’m still undecided which way to go. I’ve owned 4 manual sports cars and 2 paddle ZF auto transmissions and both have their benefits. I recently test drove both a 2007 4.3 manual and a 2009 4.7 sportshift over the weekend and I’m still torn between the two. Manual seems like the way to go on the V8V but the sportshift was more aggressive then I thought it was going to be. I’m not sure if I love or hate the hard (but delayed) shifts on full acceleration. I also have been trying to do more research to REALLY understand the differences between the 06-08 4.3 and the 09+ 4.7 engines. Any major differences in reliability between the two engines and two transmissions?

Any input appreciated! I know this topic has been beat to death and I’ll continue spending hours doing research.
When I hear someone mention ZF 'paddle shift' and manual in the same sentence and then wonder if they shoul get a manual or SSM Vantage, I wonder if they realize the SSM and ZF are two vastly different things. IMO, the ZF should never be used with the term flappy paddle, because it isn't one. Just because you can change gears with 'buttons' doesn't make it an FP trans. The term FP should be reserved for manuals without a clutch pedal.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:12 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had one manual - a 2007 V8 Vantage found the clutch to be heavy a real 'pain' in daily rush hour. Then I purchased used a 2009 Sportshift and loved the interaction of the gas and eliminating the clutch - would not likely ever to go back to the manual. The Sportshift is semi-involving, still one with the vehicle. Reliability? The 2007 and 2009 was zero problems (Ford era ownership) - in 25,000 miles and 42,000 miles (2009), then I traded for a 2015 GT which had at least 20,000 in warranty issues. I had that 2 years and traded for a 'Timeless Certified' 2015 V12S which had at least a dozen warranty issues on day of delivery, then discovered the 'timeless certified' car was in fact tracked in its 22,000 mile previous life. Aston replaced the car with a local 8,000 mile V12S, but I lost the B&O Stereo. which was fantastic. That said the new owner in less than a year replaced the engine, clutch, pretty much a lot of computers because of a seat belt issue, and now needs another new clutch (all under warranty)... mine? Zero issues. My theory is that under Ford the cars were pretty much bullet proof, maybe not so much under current ownership.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:10 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
After many cars with a manual... mainly Porsche and BMW sports cars and a few muscle cars, went with a sport shift because my wife wanted to occasionally drive the car...

the 2009 vantage ASM 1 works well, especially now with a new clutch. Not saying I'd never go back... but 3rd pedal cars are becoming an anachronism.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
This is a topic that everyone has a strong opinion about. My first Vantage was a 2007 stick with a 4.3 and the Aston Martin power pack. My current Vantage GT is a 4.7 Stick, the clutch is much lighter and the sift effort is a bit less. Once warmed up,
what it comes down to is your likes and dislikes with either transmission. Find a Vantage that has the most options and features pluse colors that you like. And then go from there, also how will you be using the car? Track days, heavy traffic, Weekends and long trips. And so on, for me, I looked for a coupe, Stick, colors and options. My first Vantage I purchased used. So I compromised more on my selection. For instance the interior was not exactly what I wanted but I purchased the car anyway and was never really happy with the interior. My GT, I purchased new, and was lucky to find just what I wanted at my own dealer. I have ordered many cars in my life. I would have loved to order my GT, I was just not in the cards this time.
Plus when purchasing used, you have to be both patient and willing to compromise. Good luck in your search.
Ron

Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I will agree that the clutch on the 4.7 is much much lighter than the 4.3... its really not an issue any more than any other car IMO... the 4.3 was still a pretty light clutch compared to my former resto modded 65 GTO's clutch... that thing was brutal

Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 PM
pearsonhaus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by handyman2009
The 4.7 has more adequate HP and Torque but you can bring any 4.3 to be more like a 4.7 with headers+200 Cell Cats+tunes from VelocityAP… Then again if you start with a 4.7 you can build more HP and Torque with same hardware. From what I have read, both engine are very reliable and build on the same platform just different parts to increase displacement and power. As for Transmission, I chose a 6sp Manual after test driving a sportshift as I didn't like the way it shifted but that is a preference some people here love their sportshift. You need to learn how to drive them so you don't wear your clutch prematurely. Remember that the 09 and 10.5 are different than the 10.5 to later, the latter has the catalytic converter in the headers vs after the headers. Good luck in your search
I have done a lot of research on these cars and I do not recall seeing that about the 10.5 + catalytic converter before. Thanks for posting that information.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:35 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
I am in the market for a used Vantage as well and have struggled with the manual vs SportShift decision. For the record - all of my cars are and have been manuals. Within the last week, I drove a manual 2015 GT and a base 2012 V8 Vantage SportShift at a local AM dealer. It was my first time behind the wheel of an Aston and it was amazing.

The manual was what you'd expect. Short throws, clutch was pretty light compared to what I am used to. No real surprises there. A real pleasure to drive.

The SportShift actually behaved better than I expected based on a lot of reading about it but it didn't blow me away. I made sure to do the clutch learn before starting because I've read that can really affect the shift performance. "D" mode was just as awful as everyone has said. Shifts were slow and jerky. Using paddles to shift manually and lifting off the throttle while doing so was a much better experience and I can see where that could be rewarding over time. I had limited seat time so I didn't have time to perfect my technique. When doing quick acceleration and manually shifting on the fly, the shifts were felt kind of lazy.

Overall, SportShift wasn't horrible, and I didn't hate it, but it definitely did not wow me. There were also a couple of times in my short drive where I smelled the clutch burning for some reason, so I can see where SportShift might be hard on your wallet.

In the end, for me, I could live with a SportShift but my first choice would be a proper manual gearbox. To be fair, I was pleasantly surprised how well the SportShift behaved when starting out from a dead stop. It really acted and felt like a normal automatic. But once you got moving, the experience changed.

The fact that I got clutch burn on my short and not very hard drive definitely gives me pause about the longevity of the clutch itself. I have read about people losing the clutch in a SportShift after as little as 15k miles (even with the clutch learn) and I can definitely see how that could happen. Maybe it was just this car, but I can't escape the fact that it happened.

That's my experience. Now I've just gotta find the right car ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.