Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Strange starting issue last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 AM
electronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange starting issue last night

Background: have had a 2012 Rapide for a couple of years now and never experienced this. Just got 2012 DB9....It has been in the garage all week (last driven last Sunday).

We got in it last night, put the key in, dash lit up, but car just kindof went click...Starter did not turn over. Tried 3 times...Acted like the battery was dead, but dash lights were not dim. Even tried turning on headlights and they were not dim, so figured it couldn't be battery.

Thought "hmmm let's try the other key" and sure enough it fired right up.

Later in the evening, the original key worked just fine. So, somehow it was related to the key...But then later was OK.

Could it have been some sort of encryption handshake error between the chip in the key and the car? Any other thoughts?

Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I know my 2009 Vantage is very finicky, I have to insert the key first then push it flush with the holder then push the key in to start. If I try to push the key in at once no start for me or if I go past the flush with the holder again no start. So now I use the flat of my finger to make sure I don't go past it. The other explanation is that your key docking might be faulty...

Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I had the same thing happen once. The battery maintainer was not plugged in for a week, maybe longer. Multiple keys tried and finally started. Now she is always plugged into the maintainer when parked and has not happened since. Yes I know a new battery is in my future. Also handyman brings up a good point too.

Regards,

Last edited by W126C; 02-18-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...New to AM's but my 09 acted dead too...I found I had something on the sides of the fob. I wiped off and it worked. Since that time I try to carry the fob in the case...I am glad nothing serious for you.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by electronaut
Background: have had a 2012 Rapide for a couple of years now and never experienced this. Just got 2012 DB9....It has been in the garage all week (last driven last Sunday).

We got in it last night, put the key in, dash lit up, but car just kindof went click...Starter did not turn over. Tried 3 times...Acted like the battery was dead, but dash lights were not dim. Even tried turning on headlights and they were not dim, so figured it couldn't be battery.

Thought "hmmm let's try the other key" and sure enough it fired right up.

Later in the evening, the original key worked just fine. So, somehow it was related to the key...But then later was OK.

Could it have been some sort of encryption handshake error between the chip in the key and the car? Any other thoughts?
Put the car on the Ctek. It was either something on the FOB not right, or speck of dirt or lint or a low battery type deal. I know a few cars I have had that all kinds of weird things happen when the battery works, but is low. My Maserati would turn the drivers heated seat on ONLY in the summer when battery caused problems. Also, kinda funny but not, in the winter the drivers seat while driving only would move all the way up front and go high as possible and the seat back would move forward. 2x different times that happened on the highway. Had to pull over, let it do its thing while i squeezed out with key in hand, then only after restarting would the seat go back normal. So, possibly battery lowish issues, or a piece of lint.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 AM
electronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep the car on the battery maintainer during the week.

The issue hasn't happened since, but still...better safe than sorry.

How often do the batteries in the keys themselves need to be replaced?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.