Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage pricing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Vantage pricing question

I'm considering selling my 2014 6-spd V8V roadster. Nicely optioned with original sticker of $154K, I am thinking that $89.5K is a reasonable price given that I have enjoyed putting 11K on the odometer. My question is about the extended factory warranty....I chose not to extend my original warranty last September, and I assume some buyers may prefer to not pay up either (~$3K per year I believe). I am of course open to getting the warranty in place to facilitate a sale.
It's going to be a wash for me either way because my price will adjust accordingly, but does it make sense to leave the decision to potential buyers, some of whom may be OK with a solid PPI and banking the warranty money?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4081.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	470235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	969.7 KB
ID:	470236  
Old 02-21-2017, 01:55 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I just saw a 2015 GT Coupe 6-speed with 6,500mi. Sold, asking price was $85K @ AM Dealer. you may not be too far off for a price.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
I am not 100% sure on this, but if you buy the warranty it IS transferable to the next owner as long as you do a private sale.

If you decide you want to trade it in to an AM dealer at some point however, the extended warranty will be considered null and void.

I am not 100% certain on how it works with a non-AM dealer.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the input. I've been checking the Vantage market on and off and have noticed a few lesser-spec'd cars (red tail lights, standard calipers, etc.). I'm sure some buyers may not appreciate or care about the high cost, albeit cosmetic, options that can differentiate one car from another. I think any well-cared for Aston can be a fantastic car but I'm always amazed at the original cost of going beyond the standard spec. As for the warranty fine print, I need to look into that but was told by a local dealer that there was no paperwork or contract that I could review the exact terms of.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
That's B.S. - In terms of the ESC, here you go!

Sorry... wasn't where I could get access to this earlier. Hope this helps with your decision!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ESC Contract USA.pdf (170.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by mindscape9
That's B.S. - In terms of the ESC, here you go!

Sorry... wasn't where I could get access to this earlier. Hope this helps with your decision!
Many thanks for that! I assumed that they were either full of it, ignorant or just lazy. Besides the warranty cost, my decision to go without was mainly driven by the lack of clutch coverage. My manual has always been perfect but peace of mind on that score is worth something.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Just skimmed what you sent and see that clutch failure might be covered. How old is this document...I thought Aston had farmed out their warranty offering some time ago.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Not sure if this is the most current version or not, but I was sent this by an AM dealer in Aug of 2016.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hedged
Just skimmed what you sent and see that clutch failure might be covered. How old is this document...I thought Aston had farmed out their warranty offering some time ago.
Note that "clutch failure" is NOT the same thing as "clutch wear." A clutch that goes bad with use did not fail. If the clutch somehow grenades itself due to a manufacturing defect, that would be covered.

As for whether to get the extended service coverage or leave it to the buyer, I'd absolutely leave it to the buyer because of the cost. They assume some risk (the car has to pass inspection for AM to cover it), but you could negotiate that part into the cost of the car, too... i.e. if they want the coverage, you get the car inspected and agree to remove the cost of any required repairs from the total of the car, or something along those lines.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:08 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW in my hunt for a Vantage, my local AM dealer quoted $4500/yr or $8000 for 2 years on a 2009 extended warranty. I'm passing on that since the bulk of costs i see are related to clutch wear...

Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
As the vantages get older - I think past 5 years the insurance jumps.... one reason I traded my 09 for a 15... I can extend insurance in October another 2 years for 5K

Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
I would not get the warranty to facilitate the sale. Offer it to close the sale, which may not be necessary. i believe your asking price is a good start as well. GLWS

Last edited by Mark8V8; 02-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback. Just one more step...getting over what would be a too short amortization of sales tax, Xpel Ultimate, etc. And it doesn't help that the next Vantage style and driving experience may fall short of the existing one!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
You will never get your money back if you get the warrantee. If it is an issue offer to split the cost. Then you will be only out half the money and get the car sold. The new buyer will feel like he is getting a bargain as well.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
To give you a reference on pricing I have an almost identical spec 2013 Vantage Roadster. Dealer just offered $70 for trade. They stated they would list the car for $80K and hope to get $77K. Original MSRP was $155K, 8700 miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.