Weekend project - Jack pads - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by: Bamford Rose

Weekend project - Jack pads

Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM

messar is on a distinguished road
Weekend project - Jack pads

When I did my clutch, I was not happy with the process to lift the car up - I used a BMW rubber lift pad, but it felt really sketchy.

This weekend, I had some time and material, and made some lift pads.

I didn't take pictures of all the steps, but starting with a 3.5x3.5x2" piece of aluminum, remove everything that isn't a jack pad.

I added a groove on the posts for 2 reasons - It allows the pad to stay in the hole, allowing easier alignment when lifting (put in the lift pad, then put the lift in place instead of trying to feel where the post goes with the lift in place). 2nd reason was to add a place to put a wire to allow anodizing. This first sample used fabric dye, next revision will use proper anodizing dye. (my neighbors were VERY interested to know why I was in the garage with gloves, safety glasses, etc....).

Here are some images of the process, and finished product.

If there is anyone in the DFW area (especially Plano/Richardson and east of there) who has a DB9, DBS or other Aston, I'd love to see if these fit on cars other than a Vantage.

I have put an ad in the classifieds section for these if anyone is interested in a set.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM

SheriffDep is a jewel in the roughSheriffDep is a jewel in the roughSheriffDep is a jewel in the roughSheriffDep is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by messar View Post
When I did my clutch, I was not happy with the process to lift the car up - I used a BMW rubber lift pad, but it felt really sketchy.

This weekend, I had some time and material, and made some lift pads.

I didn't take pictures of all the steps, but starting with a 3.5x3.5x2" piece of aluminum, remove everything that isn't a jack pad.

I added a groove on the posts for 2 reasons - It allows the pad to stay in the hole, allowing easier alignment when lifting (put in the lift pad, then put the lift in place instead of trying to feel where the post goes with the lift in place). 2nd reason was to add a place to put a wire to allow anodizing. This first sample used fabric dye, next revision will use proper anodizing dye. (my neighbors were VERY interested to know why I was in the garage with gloves, safety glasses, etc....).

Here are some images of the process, and finished product.

If there is anyone in the DFW area (especially Plano/Richardson and east of there) who has a DB9, DBS or other Aston, I'd love to see if these fit on cars other than a Vantage.

I have put an ad in the classifieds section for these if anyone is interested in a set.

Well might go ahead and be the first to post----- They look great, now how much to make a second set

Its always asked as soon as someone posts up some they made. Had to do it. But seriously they look great. I think jacking up the cars is one of the major worries of all the owners on here at first.

Hell, I am worrying about the car tire place when they swap my wheels next month. Bad thing is I wont even be there.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM

W126C is on a distinguished road
Need to find out if they will work on the DB9? The ones Velocity makes only work on the Vantage, if I understand correctly. I'd be up for a set if they work.

Regards,
Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 PM

Aldv is on a distinguished road
Hey...Weekends are for driving your car not making parts...Lol Great Job! I am a fan of red color...I will check other area. Others will be interested if you can modify for their style cars besides the vantage. You may want to pm Rich who has redpants as I bet he is always looking for someone to fabricate his ideas on small batches...Just a thought...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments. I enjoy getting out to play in the garage, so it isn't much of a chore....

I'm asking 200$ a set shipped.

I can do pretty much any color (I'll have to figure out the added cost - I'm guessing 20 or so). Have a look at http://www.caswellplating.com/anodiz...zing-dyes.html to see what colors are available.

I can turn them around in a couple of days.

As for DB9/DBS/etc, if there is anyone around, I'd love to try to fit them.

W126C - if you could snap some pictures of the mounts on your car (plugs out), I'd be very grateful - if it looks right, I'll send you my prototype set to try to see if it fits if you'd be willing to try it.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 PM

Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

The look great, look very similar to ones I made for my MB a few years ago.

If you need to mass produce these, there are websites online that you can have multiple shops bid for your business. In the end it depends on the amount of interest and what your time is worth.

Good stuff
Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 AM

Graze is on a distinguished road
Matt

PM sent

great product

Graze
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Aldv is on a distinguished road
Hi...I sent PM and information to you today... good luck
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 AM

Dalecannavan will become famous soon enough
PM sent.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone again for the positive comments. I was given a heads up that selling anything in this thread is a no-no (oops).

Until I better understand what I can and can't do, I'd really appreciate no sale related comments in this thread.

I will be contacting one of the mods to figure out what the best process is.

Thanks,

matt
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Errr, how do you get in touch with moderators?
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

In the interest of completeness, I'll put what info I've gathered back into this thread.

Thanks to the comments from various forum members, I understand that the standoff needed for jacking up the car has changed over the years. (I have a 2007). It looks like the cutover was 2010, which has a deeper sill design, needing a bit more clearance.

Other models have completely different jack point designs, however, the post alignment concept remains the same.

Here are some images of the jack pads on my car:

Front Jack point

Rear Jack point

For clearances, measured clearance needs to be 1" (bottom of sill plus some space for the cup of a jack).

Matt
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

OnyxVantage is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome work Matt. Looking perfect 👌🏻
Cheers Anthony