Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Rapide is dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Aston Martin Rapide is dead

http://jalopnik.com/dead-ish-aston-martin-rapide-1793478816
The gas-sucking, V12-powered Aston Martin Rapide is dead. Well, sort of.

The Rapide will supposedly be replaced by the RapidE, an all-electric successor to the car, as Aston CEO Andy Palmer told Australia’s Motoring:

“The Rapide as a car by itself disappears, [but] the four-door market is covered in a different way.”

[...]

“So obviously there’s a platform for the electric Rapide, so it has life in front of it, but the Rapide as you see it today is also going to be replaced by the DBX on one hand and the Lagonda on the other,” said Palmer.
Motoring specifically asked Palmer about the RapidE, to which he responded “It’s coming 2018. It’s around the corner.”

Aston Martin has made no secret of the fact that it, like Audi and BMW and probably all the other luxury automakers, are eventually gunning for Tesla with more high-end electric cars. And Aston Martin itself said a year ago that it would be teaming up with Chinese tech giant LeEco—the backer of the very questionable Faraday Future—on battery technology, but it’s not immediately clear whether that partnership is still happening or not amid LeEco’s cash crunch.

Do you think this means the Rapide is dead, or does its heart transplant mean that it’s merely being updated? Did the 911 die when it went water-cooled?

Yes. Obviously.

RIP the Rapide.

A few more.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1060803_aston-martin-rapide-to-ditch-v-12-go-electric-only-route-in-2018

http://insideevs.com/aston-martin-rapide-ditch-v12-favor-electric-2018/

Guess we saw this coming.

Regards,

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-24-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:55 PM
electronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
As a Rapide owner, DB9 owner, and car enthusiast in general...

I like Tesla because of its technology and its looks.

I like Aston Martin because of its heritage, its looks, and its big, gulping, awesome-sounding, gasoline-guzzling engines.

If I wanted a sleek electric car, I'd buy a Tesla. I didn't, so I bought a Rapide and a DB9.

Let's see...go British when a car is now 100% for sure completely owned by its electronics and computer? Probably not.

I'm sure there is a market for electric Aston Martins -- that market just doesn't include me as a potential buyer.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:30 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
was looking at used prices for Rapide and its getting cheap! May pick one up if it starts to hit the 60's.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
My initial thought in starting this thread was, better buy one soon before they are gone for good. I'd love to have a Rapide in the garage sitting next to the DB9.

Regards,

Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by W126C
My initial thought in starting this thread was, better buy one soon before they are gone for good. I'd love to have a Rapide in the garage sitting next to the DB9.

Regards,
What does any member feel or think about the collectability of the Rapide. If its dead then the likely years for collectables are the first and last. But, just wondering if down the road they might be worth something???????

I am contemplating several cars which should maintain value or go up slightly in the next 5 years or so. Not looking to make anything at the end of the day, just wanting to not lose any for a change.

F430 Scud, Gallardo 570lp Superleggera, first year R8 Gated manual, first year V12V w/ manual. Obviously there is a 100k swing on some of those listed models but I am exploring the opportunity at this point. So just thinking of the Rapide. Likely to not go up, but wonder where that bottom point might be.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Collectability? That's a tough one. I just can't believe how the Rapide has depreciated. Knowing that current production model will end, will the prices stabilize or even start to rise? Are there reliable production numbers of the MY 2010-present? One thing for sure, I'm considering a Rapide but as a driver.

Regards,

Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by W126C
Collectability? That's a tough one. I just can't believe how the Rapide has depreciated. Knowing that current production model will end, will the prices stabilize or even start to rise? Are there reliable production numbers of the MY 2010-present? One thing for sure, I'm considering a Rapide but as a driver.

Regards,
As would I choose it for a driver also. Same as possibly a 07-08 V8V. Fairly inexpensive but worth it for a daily.

But for Rapide sake, 09's are still around 75k or so. That is 09-10 R8 territory and the R8 might be a better daily, driving wise. Just a guess. But tired of losing money on cars. If I am going to spend the money, I want to at least get something cool that I like, but try and maximise the retention value.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:59 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
rapide will be in the high 50's by next year maybe 2.

already one at 68 clean title 23k miles no stories.

i may concider one. Do people know of any major problems with the rapide?

once reason i love the v8 vantage is i can maintain it my self (oil changes etc) adn cost of ownership is less than my m3's! also cheap as hell to insure!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by goto35
rapide will be in the high 50's by next year maybe 2.

already one at 68 clean title 23k miles no stories.

i may concider one. Do people know of any major problems with the rapide?

once reason i love the v8 vantage is i can maintain it my self (oil changes etc) adn cost of ownership is less than my m3's! also cheap as hell to insure!
Rapide shouldnt really be any different than a DB9. Same platform, same engine, same electronics etc..... I think its just an elongated chassis with extra two doors. If I am wrong, I can't be too far off.

So, Maintenance should be the same. Not sure if the coil packs, leaking shocks affect later 08 and never DB9s so those might be issues at some point. But, other than that a few niggles here and there and your home free.

Thats my take. I haven't driven one, so can't talk on how it drives or rides, but would think its similar to a DB9, just heavier and smoother.

Several members have both, so could elaborate easily.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 PM
electronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Rapide shouldnt really be any different than a DB9. Same platform, same engine, same electronics etc..... I think its just an elongated chassis with extra two doors. If I am wrong, I can't be too far off.

So, Maintenance should be the same. Not sure if the coil packs, leaking shocks affect later 08 and never DB9s so those might be issues at some point. But, other than that a few niggles here and there and your home free.

Thats my take. I haven't driven one, so can't talk on how it drives or rides, but would think its similar to a DB9, just heavier and smoother.

Several members have both, so could elaborate easily.
I have both, and yes, it is essentially a stretched DB9.

It actually feels more refined to me than a DB9, however. And, while I haven't been in a DBS (which I realize is essentially a pumped-up DB9), my Rapide's interior and dash look more like pictures I have seen of a DB9. The differences are subtle, but the seat controls are an example: plastic and large buttons on a DB9, brushed metal/small thin buttons on a Rapide and on a DBS.

I've had mine (a 2012) for over 2 years now, and it has been relatively trouble-free. I don't use it as a daily driver, but I feel like I could. It is a frequent weekend-driver, and never fails to crank out the smiles.

I think the Rapides will bottom out pretty quickly before they stabilize and then head back up. At some point with a car like this, you don't want the cheapest ones on the block because they aren't as likely to have been maintained well. Well-documented and regularly-serviced examples will command more from those who want one.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I just love the Rapide. As a gentleman's car, there may be nothing better. Sure the Panamera has more backseat room, but the folks in the back are only there for the ride to the restaurant anyway, right? As for beauty, there is nothing better on the road with four doors. This may be the car that gets me to leave behind my V8V. But I'll want the S version for sure. Those still have some time before they get down to my range of what I'm willing to spend on a car.

Last edited by deckman; 03-27-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I was torn between a Rapide and V8 Vantage I ended up with. Wanting a manual was the big deciding factor. I usually go between manual and auto on every car, so odds are the next will be an auto. My girlfriend wasn't comfortable driving a manual which helped spur the decision to sell my Lotus Evora. I hat being saddled with all driving on any road trip...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.