Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > The 6Speed Lifestyle > Auto Leasing / Financing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Buying a car for someone else, how to do it?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Gradoholic is on a distinguished road
Buying a car for someone else, how to do it?

In the next few years, I'm planning to buy a car for my dad who lives in California and I'm in Illinois. I'd like to surprise him with it in the driveway. How do I go about registration and insurance? Will a dealership register a car under him if he is not at the dealership with me? Do I cover the car with my insurance until I give it to him? I plan to drive it from the dealership straight to his house.

FYI, I'm thinking about a Mercedes SL 550.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM

155mph is on a distinguished road
Can I be your Dad? I have no idea how this works. I guess you pay the dealer for the car. They deliver it, then your DAD needs to sign all the paperwork before he can drive it out of his driveway.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Gradoholic is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. That sounds reasonable. Do you think the dealership will bring the paperwork with the car to his house and have him sign it there, or will he have to make a separate trip to the dealership?

Last edited by Gradoholic; 10-05-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM

sapple89 is on a distinguished road
they will do anything to sell you a car.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

SSIIICK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradoholic View Post
Thanks for the info. That sounds reasonable. Do you think the dealership will bring the paperwork with the car to his house and have him sign it there, or will he have to make a separate trip to the dealership?
That's awesome, buddy. The dealership will definitely bring the car and paperwork to his house if you have a deal with them beforehand. Shouldn't be that hard to get done. Have fun! Bring a camera because the look on his face will be priceless.
2009 Nissan GTR
Black / Gray
Too Many Mods
Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM

155mph is on a distinguished road
My dealer drove 2 hours each way to my house to have my wife sign the paperwork for my car. And i bought a used car. BTW - They went to the airport to pick up a prospective customer flying in from Chicago, then took him back to the airport. I think they would have paid for a hooker if he asked.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 PM

r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
If I were the dealer selling you the car I'd leave the car, title, and bill of sale with you as long as the car has been paid in full. I'd just have you fax the bill of sale over to me once it has been signed.

I'm a dealer on the side and have completed multiple transactions where the car was intended for my customer's relative. Really not that difficult- any decent dealer will work with you.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Tags
buy, buying, car, dealership, financing, fl, insurance, insures, nj, ny, owned, owning, register, registering, vehicle