Location (State):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Depreciates the least: Ferrari F430 or Porsche 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:06 PM
PCH
PCH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by X-TNSIV
The biggest depreciation factor will be based on the number of miles driven.

The F430 has a steeper depreciation curve based on mileage.
You need to do your homework.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bzinsky

On the flip side - Ignorance is bliss, knowing the exact cost per mile on your sports car is like knowing how many grams of fat you consumed at your favorite steak house.
This.
Sure, a Ferrari might hold its value, while sitting the garage. You can go to the garage and look at it. Then hope it runs when you want to take it out. I even looked at some mileage adjusted values of owning a Porsche and found that original owners (for the first three years) spent at least $1.50 a mile. Depreciation only. Usually more if the mileage was lower. I'd hate to do that study on a Ferrari.
But, just as mentioned above, if you measure the cost per mile, you aren't going to buy a Ferrari anyway, you're going to buy a Prius.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:10 AM
bzinsky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ryem3
This.
Sure, a Ferrari might hold its value, while sitting the garage. You can go to the garage and look at it. Then hope it runs when you want to take it out. I even looked at some mileage adjusted values of owning a Porsche and found that original owners (for the first three years) spent at least $1.50 a mile. Depreciation only. Usually more if the mileage was lower. I'd hate to do that study on a Ferrari.
But, just as mentioned above, if you measure the cost per mile, you aren't going to buy a Ferrari anyway, you're going to buy a Prius.
The plus side to knowing your exact cost of ownership, is that you can acquire one helluva stable of vehicles. Every dollar saved on one car is a dollar that could be spent on another. One could own 7 cars worth 1-2m and drive a different one each day of the week for less than the cost of doing the same with a new ferrari california. (Assuming funding the asset itself is a non-issue)

Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
You're welcome to disagree, and while I've never owned a 430, I know loads of people who do and ultimately not one of them has ended up happy with their decision.

Don't get me wrong, a 430 is one of the sexieset cars on this planet, and for exclusivity and measuring contests, it's the car to have - From my stance I couldn't really enjoy driving one hard - simply too costly - I guess when I say "not as fun to drive" that's subjective for sure, but I feel much better about flogging the **** out of a turbo Pcar than I do any Ferrari, and maybe that perception is not fair, but everyone I know with a Ferrari parks it in the garage and takes it out to dinner or coffee and cars - they don't drive and enjoy them.

and these are not guys that have issues with losing the money, it's that when compared to even a mildly tuned 99x, GT-R or their UGR lambo they aren't fast cars.

I want to reiterate I am a huge fan of Ferraris, they are gorgeous cars, they sound amazing, they play all the right strings on my heart, but for *ME* the cost of riding one hard and putting it away wet is too high.

-Z

Originally Posted by acs-3
Totally disagree. I've owned an F430 for nearly two years now, the only maintenance is $1250 for two-year service (all fluids). The car has nearly 27000 miles and still on original clutch.

And slow...? Although F430 is 200 lbs heavier than the Scuderia version, an F430 with aftermarket headers (no precats) will make the same/a bit more power than a Scuderia (Scuderia oem headers don't have precats). And you can replace the heavy stock electric seats and headers/cats/exhaust for ~150 lbs weight savings.

Here are some videos of Scuderia vs 991 GT3 etc and 997.2 Turbo PDK

Ferrari 430 Scuderia vs Porsche 991 GT3 (911) GTB OARD.com May 2015 Event - YouTube

Ferrari 458 Speciale, Italia, 430 Scuderia vs Porsche 911 Turbo PDK Sport Chrono 997.2 - YouTube

Old 11-23-2015, 09:57 AM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Both will depreciate as someone said in a earlier post. For the Ferrari, unless its a six speed or Scud it is not going to retain value. I agree with the statement that there are less out their than the Porsche. However, lets consider the fact that the 458 is a major advancement and improvement from the 430/360. So in my opinon unless you are grabbing a six speed 430, your at risk for depreciation.

In terms of the 997 market. It is definitely a gamble as you need the right ingredients. Turbo S with limited production does stand a chance to be a good contender. 997.1, 6speed manual, no over-rev DME is also a good bet.

The variables to consider are the purchase prices and the time you plan to keep them for. If you are buying the car to use and dump in a year, then you may need a certain criteria to come out clean or at least break even. If you are planning to hold the car for 10 years then that warrants some other factors.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
This is a silly question as there are soooooo many factors involved.

It is like asking...who should I marry? A swedish super model or a latina actress.

The answer is...who cares. Just enjoy the moment.

All kidding aside, there are soooo many variables, for someone to give you actual facts, it will only be based on experience and opinion.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 AM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
wrong... swedish super model. How can you be so insensitive!?

Originally Posted by TAILWAG

It is like asking...who should I marry? A swedish super model or a latina actress.

All kidding aside, there are soooo many variables, for someone to give you actual facts, it will only be based on experience and opinion.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:17 PM
bzinsky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TAILWAG

Everybody should care, because no matter what you can or want to spend on cars, if you're analytical in your approach and make the best financial decisions possible, it only means you will have more to spend on cars

Also, you can absolutely get pretty close to figuring out what the car is going to cost you, you just can't figure out how much you're going to enjoy it.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 PM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vinnycg
So in my opinon unless you are grabbing a six speed 430, your at risk for depreciation.
F430 market has been pretty flat for the past two years btw, even for F1 tranny cars.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
imho just drive what you can afford and enjoy and don't worry about depreciation it's no fun at all, happy motoring to the OP!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 PM
ecadwell is on a distinguished road
I own a Ferrari 360 6-speed, and I watched the market pretty closely before buying mine 3 years ago. When dealing with the modern Ferrari mid-engined v8 cars (348, 355, 360, 430, etc), the depreciation seems to follow a pretty similar pattern where the car will depreciate to approximately 50-55% of the car's original MSRP, assuming average miles (usually around 20k for an F-car). This seems to happen by about 12 years.

This has been my experience, and of course you may find differently. My opinion is that the 430 has not yet fully depreciated, but the 360 has.

This does not apply to the "special" versions of each car (360CS, Scud, etc).

Last edited by ecadwell; 11-24-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vinnycg
Both will depreciate as someone said in a earlier post. For the Ferrari, unless its a six speed or Scud it is not going to retain value. I agree with the statement that there are less out their than the Porsche. However, lets consider the fact that the 458 is a major advancement and improvement from the 430/360. So in my opinon unless you are grabbing a six speed 430, your at risk for depreciation.

In terms of the 997 market. It is definitely a gamble as you need the right ingredients. Turbo S with limited production does stand a chance to be a good contender. 997.1, 6speed manual, no over-rev DME is also a good bet.

The variables to consider are the purchase prices and the time you plan to keep them for. If you are buying the car to use and dump in a year, then you may need a certain criteria to come out clean or at least break even. If you are planning to hold the car for 10 years then that warrants some other factors.

Good luck with your decision.
The basic key at least is always to buy private party and avoid dealers unless you're finding a car that's sat for a long period that they need to dump, especially in the current market. I've always made that mistake simply because I'm picky and it always ended up being the car I wanted was from a dealer. So that ultimately ended up probably costing me $15k compared to if I would have gone private party. Had the cash, and I wanted what I wanted, so whatever.

Beyond that it's just supply/demand and I believe demand will always be there for the combination of 6 speed and mezger. As long as miles are kept somewhat low, I believe you can keep your total cost of ownership somewhat low. The 997.2 Turbo DFI motor doesn't sound great, reliability is somewhat unknown still at this point, and beyond early production 2011, they didn't come in manual (and take rate for manual was low for 2010/2011 from what I've been told).

The 997 Turbo S was lower production, but considering the 991 is a pretty large upgrade (both cars are more touring cars at this stage of Porsche anyway) over the 997.2 from a comfort/technology/suspension/transmission standpoint, I just don't see the TTS retaining value. It just isn't special, and neither the 997.2 TTS nor the 991 TTS are "raw" cars -- both are very touring/comfort oriented that are designed to be driven daily. It also seems like the 991 Turbo S production numbers are higher as well than the 997.2. But to me, personally, comparing a 997.2 TTS to a 991 TTS just feels like comparing a 996 to a 997, transmission held constant. 10 years from now, no one will pick a 997.2 TTS over a 991 TTS unless they simply want to pay less. If the DFI motor ends up being reliable, perhaps I can see the 2010/2011 Manual TT's holding value somewhat. They still just flat out don't sound as good, though, and the 991 sounds better.

Last edited by guab; 11-24-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:55 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Get a Mexico or Riveria blue turbo s and watch it hold value and if mileage stay low it may even go up.... PTS in the right color combo does amazing things with these cars. U may pay a premium but long term could see that back. The Turbo S is a superior car 99% of the time; reliability, back seat, drive it to grocery store and no worries and has that great dual personality. One of being tame and quiet when u want and the drop the hammer and turbo spools and the rest is nirvana. If u get a 997.2 black turbo s with two tone interior (black grey) u can steal that car for 90k these days and have a hell of a t for that price but future value won't be there. Get a unique color set up in PTS or if can't find that car at he least an attractive combo like maybe silver with two tone terracotta for example could do well in later value....
Ownership experience and daily life think u would enjoy the Turbo s much more.....

Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 AM
squiddie is on a distinguished road
Unless you get one of the last manual Turbo S deprecation will be brutal. I think the high prices for used reasonably young 911 turbos can be misleading. Yes those things are expensive used, but look at where Porsche jacked up the new prices to. And many of those expensive used cars are very low miles. The cost that the original owner paid per mile is very high.

I did drive a 430. Easily the best car I've driven.

I cannot possibly imagine that upgrading from one 997 to another 997 or a PDK 991 gives you the kick you are looking for if you are in a financial position to afford the Ferrari. You aren't coming out of a turd. You will be spending a lot of $$$ on an upgrade that will not give you a lot of satisfaction. And with the 991 you might not like some changes they made from the 997.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:50 AM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by squiddie
Unless you get one of the last manual Turbo S deprecation will be brutal. I think the high prices for used reasonably young 911 turbos can be misleading. Yes those things are expensive used, but look at where Porsche jacked up the new prices to. And many of those expensive used cars are very low miles. The cost that the original owner paid per mile is very high.
+1. PTS will not help depreciation as suggested. The turbo's just depreciate -- is what it is. Perhaps that'll change, but not before we see the 997.2 TTS into the 50's. Considering they can be had for still in the 90's... we've got a long, long way to go. Probably another 5-6 years.

Sweet spot is finding an '09 good color combo low mileage, manual TT, for the right price (70's)... I think it'll hold OK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Depreciates the least: Ferrari F430 or Porsche 911 Turbo?