Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

1970 Datsun 240Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 AM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
1970 Datsun 240Z

Year: 1970
Make: Datsun
Model: 260Z
Price: $30000
Mileage: 63800
Color: White
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): TN
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

Specifics:
-July 1970 Datsun 240Z #7356, Series 1, 4MT, 904 white on blue interior
-2nd owner
-63,800 original miles verified
-Shows some signs of light/superficial restoration/repair, but near-original

Price:
$30,000 negotiable.

Serious inquiries only. No trades, cash only. More pictures and viewings can be arranged via email at 75DatsunS30ZG@gmail.com or PM on here.

My name is Jared and I love cars. With that, I’m proud (and sad) to present one of my most favorite cars that I’ve owned for sale, my 1970 Datsun 240Z #7356.

If you’re viewing this ad now, the 240Z should need no introduction. It’s one of the most iconic sports cars ever made launching the Japanese automakers as serious contenders in the global marketplace with its sleek style, slick features, and top-tier performance on par with its rivals. The 240Z was a relative bargain of the day delivering Porsche 911 performance for a fraction of the price not only proving its mettle on the road, but also the racetrack with championship after championship. The car was so popular, by the time the 260Z came around in 1974, Datsun had already sold over 148,000 240Zs in the United States and would continue to sell over 500,000 S30s (240Z 260Z 280Z) by production end and S130 (280ZX) introduction.

This particular 240Z is quite unique among the 148,000. Being a 1970, this 240Z is what is known as a “Series 1” car, the first series of production from the factory which included roughly 21,000 cars produced in 1969 and 1970 worldwide. These cars are known as being more visceral and raw than their later S30 or even 240Z brethren with their lighter weight chassis and slightly higher compression engines. In original shape, these cars can easily be identified by the rear hatch vents just below the glass, the “240Z” C pillar emblems (later cars only had “Z”), the speedometer that starts at 20mph, and the steering wheel spoke indentations (as opposed to being completely cut out). This distinction by itself is highly desirable, but what truly sets this car apart is that it was factory finished in 904 white with a blue interior, one of the rarest (if not, the rarest) color combinations for a 240Z. With the combination only being available from 1969-1971, there were fewer than 500 estimated cars produced in this color, #7356 being one of them.

In addition, this 240Z is in near-original condition showing only evidence of repair on the driver’s side floorpan and engine bay respray. I purchased the car from the original owner in 2012, who herself purchased the car brand new from a dealership in October 1970, and have put around 4,000 enjoyable miles on her driving around the East Tennessee countryside.

Here’s a video showing one such drive:

The car is a gem and an absolute blast to drive. I’ve owned several Zs, and this has been the best by far and the best preserved I’ve ever seen. As a running/driving survivor, I would conservatively rate this car as a 3+ on Hagerty’s valuation scale due to the paint blemishes/nicks from 45 years, and I would like to see the car go to a Datsun fanatic who would enjoy taking care of it.

The vehicle will include an EXTRA full set of very rare blue interior panels/vinyl I purchased from a donor car as OE replacements for the door panels which are starting to split in the usual places. The car will also include the OE steel wheels/D hubcaps and a set of period Ansen Sprint 5-slot mag wheels.

Attached Images           
Old 12-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Smoking Rotors is on a distinguished road
Hi Jared,

Very nice car. Some questions you will probably be asked:

How's the dash? Does it have a dash cap or any splits/damage?

Any rust in the doglegs or rear hatch?

Are the rear glass defrosters vertical or horizontal?

Is the paint original?

Matching numbers on the block, engine bay plate/wall?

Any serious mechanical issues?

According to Carl Beck of the Z car club, he estimates that there are only about 2 percent of original 240z's left on the road, and if yours is a clean one with original paint and motor and a 1970 - arguably the most collectible year, it's verrrry rare.

GLWS!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:20 AM
usafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to allusafdarkhorse is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Smoking Rotors
Hi Jared,

Very nice car. Some questions you will probably be asked:

How's the dash? Does it have a dash cap or any splits/damage?

Any rust in the doglegs or rear hatch?

Are the rear glass defrosters vertical or horizontal?

Is the paint original?

Matching numbers on the block, engine bay plate/wall?

Any serious mechanical issues?

According to Carl Beck of the Z car club, he estimates that there are only about 2 percent of original 240z's left on the road, and if yours is a clean one with original paint and motor and a 1970 - arguably the most collectible year, it's verrrry rare.

GLWS!
Hey Smoking Rotors,

Thanks for the inquiries. The dash is original, uncracked, no cap (check it out in the video). No rust in any of the usual places. There's light surface rust on the suspension components underneath which I can show, but it's a very clean clean car.

Defrost is vertical as are most Series 1 cars (some differences in late 70/early 71). I believe the paint is original on the exterior and chassis, but possibly the engine bay, at least the front of the radiator core support, has been repainted. The exterior does have a few chips and blemishes that I have not addressed because I wanted to keep the car as original and raw as possible.

All numbers matching. Everything works (except for the antenna...snapped the inner line...common) and the car drives out really nice, but I would recommend a carb refresh in the future to get the most out of it. I haven't bothered because it really doesn't need it to just enjoy. It really is a gem.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Car is sold.