Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Looking to purchase a 911 or Cayman, I like both

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM
JimHJr is an unknown quantity at this point
I was in a similar place as you last spring and was torn between a Cayman S, 997.2 and 991. Drove them and liked 991-S the best. The extra torque of the S and the more cab room of a 911 felt right to me.

Keep an eye on the online auto sites (autotrader, etc) and you will find a 991.1 S for around 70k. I bought a fairly loaded (with all the performance options less PCC) CPO .1S with 22k miles last year for 71k. I jumped on it the day it came up on the dealers website. There wasn't even pics on the site yet, they were emailed to me. These cars don't typically last long.

60k for the GTS does sound like a very good price, almost to good. I'd be tempted by that car if it's in good shape.

Happy hunting!

Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve997S
So the Cayman is just a car? You guys are . I get the fact it's all smiles when you own the flagship, but all are not equal. I wouldn't be at all smitten over a basic 991, S or otherwise. Especially considering how much coin you drop on the flagship. If you're going to spend 6 digits and up, it better be ***** out equipped. Because at the end of the day, you could have had a ***** out equipped GT4 and thousands left in your pocket. I'll skip the GT4 is far superior aspect since it's understood which is the clear winner. And by the way, where the 991 has depreciated considerably, the GT4 has gone up in value by ten thousand plus. I learned a long time ago that if you're going buy a Porsche, your best bet is to buy one of the limited edition cars. Unless you like tossing tens of thousands away.
It all depends on your feelings on the subject and I think it is very personal and subjective and I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel the exact same way. But to me... yes a Cayman is just a car.. (damn nice car I will say) but it doesn't extract emotion from me. I like it, I'd enjoy driving it... But I wouldn't lust over it.. A 911 to me, invokes a more feeling.. It isn't just the car itself, but the legacy, history.. (Of course that is perpetuated by marketing, but oh well)...

Personally, I think when you start talking about resale, depreciation etc. you should probably instead be buying Toyota's and Honda's.. A Porsche or any sports car is mostly a poor investment and to consider otherwise is just a rationalization.

It isn't strictly performance either, I could buy a lot of faster cars for cheaper... but it is the combination of all the factors that converge.

But it wasn't so much that you have to own the "flagship" it just happens to be that flagship in this case is indeed the car I've lusted after since I was 15 years old. Not her sister.

Last edited by scatkins; 03-23-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM
RON1X will become famous soon enoughRON1X will become famous soon enough
I too went from a fully modded E92 335i 6MT--> E92 DCT M3--> 997.2 PDK C2--> 997.1 6MT Turbo--> 991.1 PDK C2S. I guess I like both transmissions...

I looked hard for a 981 Cayman GTS, but couldn't find any around 60k... thats a great price on a beautiful, capable car. In the end, I knew I'd want that extra power and after having 911s it's impossible for me to not own one. The 991.1 C2S is beautiful, its a 911, and has more power and torque, albeit the chassis on the cayman is superior.

In the future, I hope to have a 981 CS/ GTS dedicated track car, but since I can only have one P car, it had to be the 991.

Frankly, I did a lot more tracking in my 997.2 PDK Carrera and that car was great on the track, but I did want more power. The Turbo had too much for me (to be honest). I found a CPO Carrera S 991.1 for less than $70k in January (PDK mind you), and am finally getting to go to the track next month (at Barber). Cannot wait to get this beast on the track.

All and all, you'd be happy with either, but the 991.1 would be my recommendation, and you can find great prices on them if you are patient and willing to travel (that's what I did). Good luck

Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 AM
djrizon is an unknown quantity at this point
Ron1x.. How many miles did your 991.1 have when you bought it?

Old 03-26-2017, 04:30 AM
djrizon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RON1X
I too went from a fully modded E92 335i 6MT--> E92 DCT M3--> 997.2 PDK C2--> 997.1 6MT Turbo--> 991.1 PDK C2S. I guess I like both transmissions...

I looked hard for a 981 Cayman GTS, but couldn't find any around 60k... thats a great price on a beautiful, capable car. In the end, I knew I'd want that extra power and after having 911s it's impossible for me to not own one. The 991.1 C2S is beautiful, its a 911, and has more power and torque, albeit the chassis on the cayman is superior.

In the future, I hope to have a 981 CS/ GTS dedicated track car, but since I can only have one P car, it had to be the 991.

Frankly, I did a lot more tracking in my 997.2 PDK Carrera and that car was great on the track, but I did want more power. The Turbo had too much for me (to be honest). I found a CPO Carrera S 991.1 for less than $70k in January (PDK mind you), and am finally getting to go to the track next month (at Barber). Cannot wait to get this beast on the track.

All and all, you'd be happy with either, but the 991.1 would be my recommendation, and you can find great prices on them if you are patient and willing to travel (that's what I did). Good luck
Ron1x.. How many miles did your 991.1 have when you bought it?

Also, does the CPO give you extra coverage?

Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scatkins
It all depends on your feelings on the subject and I think it is very personal and subjective and I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel the exact same way. But to me... yes a Cayman is just a car.. (damn nice car I will say) but it doesn't extract emotion from me. I like it, I'd enjoy driving it... But I wouldn't lust over it.. A 911 to me, invokes a more feeling.. It isn't just the car itself, but the legacy, history.. (Of course that is perpetuated by marketing, but oh well)...

Personally, I think when you start talking about resale, depreciation etc. you should probably instead be buying Toyota's and Honda's.. A Porsche or any sports car is mostly a poor investment and to consider otherwise is just a rationalization.

It isn't strictly performance either, I could buy a lot of faster cars for cheaper... but it is the combination of all the factors that converge.

But it wasn't so much that you have to own the "flagship" it just happens to be that flagship in this case is indeed the car I've lusted after since I was 15 years old. Not her sister.
You're sticking with the "just a car" I see. I'm not one to generalize and think all 911s represent the flagship when most don't. now that there's a 911 R all the lesser 911s just don't seem quite as nice. Same applies to any Cayman in comparison to the GT4. Just wait until the rumored Cayman GT4 RS comes out with the 4 liter flat 6. Just another car? While I do like the 911 and always have, only a 911 R would make me part ways with my Spyder. Anything else is less of a visceral drive (normally aspirated that is). History doesn't make a car drive better. And I agree it's a personal journey. BTW, I owned my 2008 Boxster RS60 for 2 years and only lost $1500 from what I paid versus trade in! Don't think any Toyota or Honda can match that. It's not just Porsche in terms of residual value, it's which Porsche and how spec'd, how cherry, etc. Your best bet is to always buy the one made in small numbers. Color matters too. If I'm buying used I'm looking for full leather and PCCB ideally. In a 911 it should have PDCC otherwise you skipped the next technological leap to make a 911 corner like a Cayman.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.