Gulfstream 150 Cost of Ownership? - 6speedonline.com Forums

Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > The 6Speed Lifestyle > Aviation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Aviation Planes, Private Charters, Flight Lessons, and more

Gulfstream 150 Cost of Ownership?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 AM

DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
Gulfstream 150 Cost of Ownership?

Let's say I win the lottery and I want to get into a G150 ... How deep into my winnings is it gonna cost me to own/operate this thing? Lets say I use the plane twice a month to make flights to/from LA, VEGAS, NEW YORK, MIAMI all from DALLAS.

Plane - $10,000,000

Pilot - Is there a company out there that just supplies pilots or would I need to keep one on retainer? ... I heard that the majority of private plane crashes are due to in-experienced pilot error ... How much does a SEASONED pilot cost?

Gas - ??

Upkeep/Inspections - ??

Hangar - ??

I thought there were some people on this board who were in this business.

Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size.

^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
69 Custom RS/SS 350 Camaro FOR SALE
Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM

Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Yes there are places that will provide you a pilot per your agreed upon requests. Most companies won't let a pilot fly their corporate plane unless hes over the 5,000 hour mark.

Fuel and maint obviously depends on how often/where you fly it.

But LOTS of things add up.

Plan on $40k/yr to clean/wax the jet.
Rough landing, hurt A tire, $15k
Lose an engine cover on a windy day. $2k

When I was shopping for a larger jet with someone elses money (the only way to do it) they said plan no spending 10% of the cost of the plane per year to operate it. If you're not using it enough to reach that number, look at fractional ownership.

Talk to Marc, I believe he's in the biz.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 AM

.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to .:Raul
I remember someone on here saying it costs about $3000/hr of operation

wow the range on this thing is amazing. i'd take it to Europe as well

Last edited by .:Raul; 12-20-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM

still lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to still lost
Also every time you land at another air-port you have to pay a landing/take-off fee and that is usually dependent on the size of your air-craft. With a Jet you will be limited to the number of air-ports you can land at, and ones that can handle jets are going to be more expensive.

I'll get some figures from my dad and post up in a bit.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM

jstrauch will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to jstrauch
my uncle told me his older citation cost about $1500 to basically start.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM

ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Yes there are places that will provide you a pilot per your agreed upon requests. Most companies won't let a pilot fly their corporate plane unless hes over the 5,000 hour mark.

Fuel and maint obviously depends on how often/where you fly it.

But LOTS of things add up.

Plan on $40k/yr to clean/wax the jet.
Rough landing, hurt A tire, $15k
Lose an engine cover on a windy day. $2k

When I was shopping for a larger jet with someone elses money (the only way to do it) they said plan no spending 10% of the cost of the plane per year to operate it. If you're not using it enough to reach that number, look at fractional ownership.

Talk to Marc, I believe he's in the biz.
How difficult would it be to charter the jet the weekends/days you don't use it? I'd imagine if you could do that, you could cover some costs.

Here's an idea for a business. Setup a company that charters other people's jets when they're not using it. Pay the owners a fraction of what you get paid. They have financial security and peace of mind. You have essentially 0 startup costs except for marketing. Boom.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM

.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokn225 View Post

Here's an idea for a business. Setup a company that charters other people's jets when they're not using it. Pay the owners a fraction of what you get paid. They have financial security and peace of mind. You have essentially 0 startup costs except for marketing. Boom.

not a bad idea. I wonder how much a jet owner would rent out their jets for. and it'll have to include the pilot and all that. worth looking into

Last edited by .:Raul; 12-20-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM

still lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the roughstill lost is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to still lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokn225 View Post
How difficult would it be to charter the jet the weekends/days you don't use it? I'd imagine if you could do that, you could cover some costs.

The insurance cost will go through the roof...fyi that in itself could inhibit you doing something like this....but I'm sure there are ways around it
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 AM

bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Raul View Post
I remember someone on here saying it costs about $3000/hr of operation

wow the range on this thing is amazing. i'd take it to Europe as well
Depends on the jet.

We took a Citation CJ-7 (I believe) down to Vegas from Salt Lake City and back and it was about $2,000 an hour.

From Phoenix to SLC to Jackson Hole and back on that same route was about $15,000 total.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM

so other than flying baller status, if you fly to major cities around the world a private jet is not very practical. flying overseas isn't great unless you fly New York to London or Paris.

or you can be a Middle Eastern billionaire and buy a 747 for these trips
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 AM

Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Raul View Post
so other than flying baller status, if you fly to major cities around the world a private jet is not very practical. flying overseas isn't great unless you fly New York to London or Paris.

or you can be a Middle Eastern billionaire and buy a 747 for these trips
IF you use it, it's extremely convenient. For the guys who need it, there is no other way to go. Come and go as you please, no airport b/s, etc. You can be in 3 different cities the same day meeting with clients and taking care of business along the way. Plus you can get into smaller local airports rather than flying into the hell that is a place like LAX, O'hare, etc.

If you just want the baller status, it's an absurd waste of $$.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM

well I guess not having to deal with airport security is enough of a reason to justify a private jet. I retract my statement
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM

Darnell is on a distinguished road
http://www.marquisjet.com/home.html

"So many horses I park it in a barn"
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM

squid is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying a plane that will only get used twice a month? Flexjet-type things would be far better. That way the corporation deals with pilot cert, maintenance, gas, etc. etc. All you do is sign the paper after each trip and they send you a check. Much more cost effective and not only do you get the same product, but you can get different jets to suit your needs. Like you can get a BBJ to fly 20 peeps to Vegas for a weekend.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM

bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
IF you use it, it's extremely convenient. For the guys who need it, there is no other way to go. Come and go as you please, no airport b/s, etc. You can be in 3 different cities the same day meeting with clients and taking care of business along the way. Plus you can get into smaller local airports rather than flying into the hell that is a place like LAX, O'hare, etc.

If you just want the baller status, it's an absurd waste of $$.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Parking your car in the hangar next to the plane, then being in the air 5 minutes later...there's no better way to go if you have the funds.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Tags
150, cost, costs, coveers, engine, fly, fractional, gulf, gulfstream, model, overseas, ownership, price, pricing, stream