Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Continental GT/GTC/Flying Spur DIY Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Dr. Noisewater is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys

I have an 07 GTC, does anyone know how to disable the passenger front airbag? I have a car seat that needs to be put in place.

How about the Bentley owners manual in a pdf format? I think someone stole my manual and books from my glove box at the last service or something. What a pain....

Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, massive section about airbags in the manual. The off switch is in the glove box above the right optical disc unit (navigation).

Old 04-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Dr. Noisewater is on a distinguished road
Enjoythemusic,

Is it readily accessible or do I need to take anything apart?

Thanks so much my friend!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
It is a simple red colored push button. You might need to bend down quite a bit to see it at the upper part of the front glovebox.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 PM
radi4fun is on a distinguished road
Hi guys, i was going through the DIY pdf file and i saw no instructions on how to replace the two batteries. I need to replace the battery on my driver side. I was quoted $700 at the Symbolic Motorsports here in La Jolla. I was thinking to my self that $700 seems just too much to replace one battery.

I kind of searched around and found that Autozone carried AGM batteries and i was looking at H6-AGM battery to replace it with. Is this the correct battery size? If not, can someone recommend me one?

Also is their a DIY on replacing the battery? I think this should be something very easy to do but their are too many bolts and don't know witch ones i need to take off to get the battery out.

While replacing the battery, i was thinking of bridging the new battery with jumper cables so that i won't have to reset any of the settings because they are also not mentioned in the DIY.

if someone can point out and circle the correct bolts i need to take off on the attached picture in-order to remove the battery would be awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bentley battery.jpg
Views:	3356
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	381368  
Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
radi4fun,

Did you end up changing out the battery yourself, I would really be interested in how you did it.

Thanks,

Old 08-12-2014, 04:23 PM
JJV104 is on a distinguished road
I changed out both batteries in my 05 GT. Pretty straight forward if you're at all mechanically inclined and have the tools. The biggest issue is removing everything to get the batteries out. It takes time. The trunk liner on the left has to be partially removed as well as all the wiring harnesses on both batteries. Finally, you have to reach down inside to remove the hold down brackets.

When everything is loose do some warm up exercises to get prepared to lift out the left battery. It weighs a ton and has to be lifted up and then tipped towards you to get through the opening. Then just reverse the procedure. The whole process for both batteries will take about an hour and a half. I do not remember losing any settings.

To make sure I got the correct batteries I took mine to my Audi, Mercedes, BMW dealer to make sure I had the right ones. The right was an Audi and the left was a Mercedes. They had higher ratings than the Bentley batteries.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 PM
selwynio is on a distinguished road
Can anyone confirm aftermarket non Bentley dealer front brake rotors? Continental 2004

http://cars.febi-parts.com/article.p...chInput=38359#

I'm pretty sure these are the ones. I'm in the UK and without doing too much more fishing these are like $200 per rotor, almost a third the price of going direct to Bentley.
They are an Audi and VW part. Audi A8 and S8 various years. Not sure which VW, but i'd take a shot at the Phaeton.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I believe the CGT is heavier than the A8/S8 and Phaeton so the CGT might have a larger rotor. I would suggest you try to find the specs on the CGT rotor or at a minimum, a wheel. You might also take off a front wheel and measure your rotor and compare it to the FEBI specs. In addition to the diameter, thickness and bolt circle, you also need to compare the bore of the hole for the hub and the offset in the rotor. Of course the best way to confirm this is to buy the new rotor and then take off an old rotor and compare them. Taking off the rotors is pretty easy if you have the inclination and tools. Don't forget to put the suspension in jacking mode before lifting it and use jack stands under the car. Do not depend on the jack.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM
selwynio is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I'm 95% sure those are the right ones. That's what I was planning to do, get the pair and compare all measurements. I've done a rough diameter measurement with the wheel still on and I'm confident the existing rotors are 385mm.
1 question before i go and dig out the owner manual,.....how do you put it onto jack mode?
Yeah the C-GT is way heavier than any AUDI, and quite a lot heavier than the PHAETON, perhaps that is why the rotors are warping, maybes the rotors from original are a little too lightweight for the car. They stop the car really well, but they all seem to have issues with rotor warping and high spots sooner than expected. It seems a popular thing to do replace the original front brakes

Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I haven't done it in awhile but if you look through the menus on the screen you should find it. Try the menu that allows you to adjust the shocks. It might be there. The manual will tell you for sure.

Rotor warping is often misdiagnosed. The "juddering" that people call warped rotors is often caused by improper bedding in of the brake pads. The normal bedding procedure will deposit a thin layer of brake pad material on the rotors. If the layer is not uniform, juddering will occur. Here's a good article:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Also make sure you clean the rotors well before installing them. Many brands of rotors call for using soap and water to get rid of the storage and machining lubricants. A final wipe with brake cleaner will get rid of the residue.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Jack mode is activated by pressing at the same time both the HEIGHT and SUSPENSION mode buttons (buttons in front of arm rest) for a few seconds. Keep pressing down on them both until you see JACK MODE appear within the top of the center display in front of the steering wheel.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for clarifying the procedure. I'll probably forget it by tomorrow!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Please don't forget, you could burn out the suspension's air pumps... and add $2k+ in repair costs.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
ssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura about
Just did both batteries on my Spur, the OEM batteries are VW parts, here are the part numbers:

Main battery: 000 915 105 CE $220
Starter battery: 000 915 105 DE $139

Bentley dealer wanted over $1k for the same parts

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bentley Continental GT/GTC/Flying Spur DIY Thread